Does Nintendo think they can stop the flashcart market?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Link5084, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Link5084
    OP

Member Link5084 Sword & Shield at your service

United States
    They have absolutely no way to stop flashcarts from being sold online, no matter how hard they try. I think they are presumably just going to give up since they are only focusing on the R4

2. seedvt

Member seedvt GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    They're only going for the R4 cause it's the most popular.

3. spectral

spectral Newbie

They cant stop it but they have to try since they're losing a fortune too them.

4. Law

Member Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

United Kingdom
    No they aren't.

Even though Nintendo claim to be losing money, every month they could process their profit into some sort of liquid and bathe in it.

Every month.

That's a lot of money.

5. LuOmeoga

Member LuOmeoga GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Or like every week. XP

6. spectral

spectral Newbie

Of course they are. People say they pirate the game but it doesn't matter since they wouldn't buy it anyway and while a lot of the time it is true a lot of people would buy the games if they couldn't get them for free. Sure Nintendo are making a lot of money but they'd be making a lot more of it without flashcarts and modchips for their systems.

7. roguetrip

Member roguetrip GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Nintendo themselves are making lots of money, without the flashcarts availability there wouldn't be nearly as many core system sales!!

And usually someone downloads the rom to demo then buy it, use it as a backup of the real cart they already own, or just wouldn't of bought in the first place or even used, or can't get it easily from a retailer like foreign games.

Most of my investments are buying the console new along with accessories, but usually scope my local game exchanges for cheap used games (usually buy super cheap of $1.00-$15.00)! Almost 85+% of my games are used!!! The developers still made there money, just not off me [​IMG]

8. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    Yep, Nintendo makes money from flash cards because they benefit from increased DS sales. And Nintendo doesn't make that many first party games, so they don't lose much (relatively). It's the third party and second party developers that get screwed by pirating.

9. deathfisaro

Member deathfisaro Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan

Canada
    Come on, Nintendo isn't even trying.

Look at PSP, half dozen motherboards and 3 models already, PS2 has close to 20 versions (although I can't tell the difference between many of them), 360 has buncha drives -the latest one specifically designed to battle drive flashing-.

What has Nintendo done to prevent flashcarts from running on the DS? Nothing. Instead they're just trying to shoot down sellers.

"Thanks for playing" isn't good enough (and it looks more like SE's work than Nintendo's, since DQ5 also has anti-piracy built in) to stop flashcarts.

Nintendo chose not to spend much money on anti-piracy feature on their machine, and they're gonna pay for it in other ways.

10. MrKuenning

Member MrKuenning GBAtemp Regular

United States
    The only reason I bought my Wii (First console I have ever owned) and a DS (First handheld I have ever owned) was completely because of the flashcards and mod chips.

I am a PC gamer, but I Bought myself a DS and an R4 and then I bought another one for my G/F (Now my wife). Then I bought a Wii and modded it. Bought the wii zapper the wii fit the wii wheel...

That is

totaling 630

All of which I wouldn't have touched if it wernt for flashcards... And I am ONE person..

EDIT:OH I forgot the controlers... 4 Wii 4 nun 2 clasic and 2 GC

20 Uh thats 300 if I counted right... Yeah probably over 1000 bucks...

11. Chrono_Tata

Member Chrono_Tata GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Thailand
    They have to make a show of at least trying. If Nintendo appears incompetent at stopping piracy, third-party developers will lose confidence in the console and stop making games for it.

Also, remember that Nintendo is selling the DS itself at a loss. Their profits comes mostly from first or second party games, and licensing third-party games. Even if you buy the DS, if you don't buy games they're not getting their profits, so obviously they're pissed with flashcarts.

At the moment, they're still making a crapload of money so they're not really taking that hard a stand.

12. cerenade

Member cerenade GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    ive only just got flashcarts, before that i owned every nintendo console and handheld, which probably cost atleast 1000pound, then loads and loads of games over 500-600 pound worth in the last year. so nintendo can shut up, ive spent enough on them. plus if they seriously didnt want people to pirate(same goes to other gaming companys) lower prices for stuff

13. 4zndude345

Banned 4zndude345 Banned

United States
    in Canada not a lot of ppl heard of FlashCarts so they wont lose not of money i guess

14. ENDscape

Member ENDscape REBORN! I will post with my Dying Will!!!

Philippines
    I also live in Canada and theres stores that sells flashcarts. I even saw an edge at one of them tech direct stores, which sells electronics accessories.

15. Shabadage

Member Shabadage GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Nintendo is the only manufacturer that makes a profit on their consoles from day 1. Other consoles are sold at a loss, with the licensing fees for software making that deficit up for the console manufacturer. During their lifetime, may of these consoles will indeed end up making money due to cheaper components and hardware revisions, but it takes a while.

16. Shabadage

Member Shabadage GBAtemp Fan

United States
    By definition, second party games are published by the console manufacturer; just not developed by them.

17. 4zndude345

Banned 4zndude345 Banned

United States
    i Press USA By Addicent and i can fix it and your Vancouver im in Ontario i been all around not many ppl got Flash Card i know like 2 people who ahve it

18. ENDscape

Philippines
    I live in toronto and i can tell you alot of kids has an r4 or an n5.

19. 4zndude345

Banned 4zndude345 Banned

United States
    weird probably form China Town Eh

20. ENDscape

Philippines
    You're right about the telling other people about flashcarts. They've been around since the gba, so by now alot of people with knowledge of DS or simply electronics, should know about flashcarts.