Hardware Does Nintendo actually fix your system when you send it in...

ben_not_benny

OP
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
Canada
I have a black 3DS that wobbles by about half a cm after it snaps into the open position and it bothers me when I play face raiders. My friend has a blue one and she has no problems with the hinge whatsoever. So I'm thinking about sending mine to Nintendo for repairs. However I already put screen protectors on mine a few days ago and I'm debating if I should take them off before sending it.

I've never sent a console to Nintendo for repairs before, so I want to ask others who have. Does Nintendo actually repair something like a hinge issue or do they just send a replacement unit? I want to know only to help me decide whether I should take off the screen protectors and saving it for later.

Oh and before you say "return it to the store", this was given as a gift and I don't feel like going through all the trouble with Amazon.
mellow.gif

Thanks.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
It doesn't really matter. When you send something into Nintendo, you're supposed to just send in the system without stylus or any extras. They want nothing but the stock system.

Edit: Also note that Nintendo does a complete run down of the system while they have it to make sure everything else is in proper working order. That means that if you have screen protectors on, they not only then have to take them off to check your screens completely, but they probably aren't going to go through the trouble of putting them back on.

R2DJ

Trophies
XP
Country
I have sent my Wii to Nintendo once and based on what happened to me (I had the messed up pixel problem graphics glitch), it's safe to say they will not replace your item. When I sent my Wii, I left a sticker on the right side and when they returned it to me, they sent me the Wii with visible scratches on the side where the sticker was on (evidence that it was the same Wii as the scratches proved that they took it off). Oh, and they also sent me the sticker back, but it was completely useless though as it doesn't stick anymore
tongue.gif

nintendoom

Nintendoom
Trophies
XP
R2DJ said:
I have sent my Wii to Nintendo once and based on what happened to me (I had the messed up pixel problem graphics glitch), it's safe to say they will not replace your item. When I sent my Wii, I left a sticker on the right side and when they returned it to me, they sent me the Wii with visible scratches on the side where the sticker was on (evidence that it was the same Wii as the scratches proved that they took it off). Oh, and they also sent me the sticker back, but it was completely useless though as it doesn't stick anymore
tongue.gif
ahahaha
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

R2DJ

Trophies
XP
Country
TechnoWorm said:
R2DJ said:
tongue.gif
ahahaha
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif
The scratches were not really that visible though. But you can see them when you put the Wii against light or something. LOL at Nintendo possibly using chisels of different sizes...

D

Deleted_171835

Every time I have sent an item to Nintendo to get it repaired, it was replaced.

Even systems with minor problems (L and R buttons not working) that could have been easily repaired were replaced. Since you live in Toronto, Ontario like me, your system is probably going to be replaced.
Also, don't worry. They transfer all the system settings onto the new system.

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Have sent a Wii which had problems reading any form of disk and DS Lite in before. Both times they were fixed and not replaced. Better still my DS Lite was fixed for free out of warranty.
smile.gif

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I sent my DSi in because it wouldn't work and I tried to fix it by opening it. After I sent it to them they neither replaced it nor fixed it saying "I opened the system so the outside germs made it unfixable". And that's the story of how I got my DSiXL (for $180)

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
no they fucking don't.

I had a DS Lite give me L shoulder button issues..

then I sent it in..then they sent me a fixed one right?..WRONG.

First one........sucky battery...........

*dun dun*

the SECOND one...FROZE the handheld when the START BUTTON WAS PRESSED....(at any time..even in the system menu)

The THIRD ONE....the touch screen was STUCK to "tapping" in the top left hand corner....

THE FOURTH ONE. had a completely useless D-Pad.

THEN...THE FIFTH ONE!!!...

Got a new DS Lite
biggrin.gif

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Again, it depends on the problem as well as the queue of systems. There is faster service time by swapping systems out, but if the matter is simple it makes more sense to just repair the current one... I've heard companies doing it both ways, but in general electronics companies prefer to just rotate out pre-fixed or new units as it gets the items back to the customers faster.

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
N's goal is to get a working system back to you as soon as possible. Most of the time that just means replacing it and sending yours into the repair queue that someone else will eventually get once it is (hopefully) repaired. All repair centers do the same thing because they want their customer to not have to wait to play more games. Thats the way it works.

awssk8er

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
With my Wii, they gave me the option to either take a completely new one, or fix the laser in mine.

I didn't want to lose my VC games, so I had them fix it. I just had to mail it in (They paid for it), and it came back like two weeks later (? Can't really remember. It was in December of 2006).

I'm not sure how they do it with the 3DS. I would imagine they would just give you a new one. You can easily transfer most of your stuff with the SD card, and there are many more 3DSs than Wiis.

ben_not_benny

OP
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks for the input guys.

I just talked to another friend who had a limited green DS lite and the power switch broke. He sent it in and Nintendo sent back a black DS, with his original green stylus and green dust cover inside. I lol'd.

I just hope Nintendo addresses the wobble as a problem (they won't fix it if it's not considered a problem right?). I have played demo units and I don't recall them being wobbly at all.

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
awssk8er said:
With my Wii, they gave me the option to either take a completely new one, or fix the laser in mine.

I didn't want to lose my VC games, so I had them fix it. I just had to mail it in (They paid for it), and it came back like two weeks later (? Can't really remember. It was in December of 2006).

I'm not sure how they do it with the 3DS. I would imagine they would just give you a new one. You can easily transfer most of your stuff with the SD card, and there are many more 3DSs than Wiis.
About 3 or 4 years ago when I sent my Wii in for a dead cooling fan (I'm serious), they shipped me a refurbished unit the same day. The whole process only took 10 days. I was very satisfied.
biggrin.gif

hksrb25s14

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
when you send your system back to Nintendo, they do a full system check.
Then they mail it back to you with a letter saying... "It's All In Your Head"

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night