Does Monster Hunter Tri have copy protection / rip protection?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by grcd, Apr 26, 2010.

1. grcd
    OP

Newcomer grcd Member

United Kingdom
    Okay, I have bought an official PAL copy of Monster Hunter Tri, and, like all my games, I want to be able to run it from HDD, due to faster loading times and convinience.
    If I try to 'rip' the game, it starts ripping and freezes fairly soon into the process, usually at 0.13% or 0.24% and I have to hard reset the console.

The hard drive works perfectly and I have ripped numerous other games without a single problem.

Does it have some sort of protection? I find it stupid that I might to download another image of the game to install it, when i have my own official copy of the game.

Any help would be appreciated.

EDIT: I tried ripping it with an alternative loader (uLoader) which uses another CIOS, and now it seems to be working. So I guess there is some kind of protection. I will let you know once it rips if my problem is solved, so i can close this topic. If it is not, I shall ask for advice.

2. EeZeEpEe

Member EeZeEpEe GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Try ripping with Hermes v4 base 38+37. It's only one I know that can be used to play the game so maybe it's the only one that can install it too.

3. grcd
    OP

Newcomer grcd Member

United Kingdom
    Can you please be a little more specific? I managed to rip the game succesfully, but now I can't get it to run. IOS 249 (rev19) runs the game into the menus, but when I try to load a file, Wii freezes with a long beep.

Tried running Hermes 223 v4 with 37+38 merged, but I get the exact same error.

4. EeZeEpEe

United States
    Hermes v4 38+37 is as specific as it gets. It's worked for everyone else to play the game. I got the buzz with rev19 too. If you ripped it with waninkoko rev19 changing the cIOS to hermes v4 to play might not work. Try ripping with hermes v4. For example, I use Configurable USB Loader. Try installing Hermes v4 on 22 with base 38+37 and using the cfg-222.

5. grcd
    OP

Newcomer grcd Member

United Kingdom
    That is exactly what I am doing:

IOS38 mload v4
    IOS (222) mload

I have 222 IOS38+37 merged using the V4 installer.

CFG Loader 'freezes' on load screen, basically on saying 'Base: IOS38 mload v4..'

I get no other message and I have to reboot. I have installed the game using 222 38+37.

On uLoader, the game runs but freezes on the load file screen.

6. EeZeEpEe

United States
    Just realized that you're trying a PAL version. I'm NTSC. That's the only difference I see.

7. grcd
    OP

Newcomer grcd Member

United Kingdom
    So, how can I find out if anyone managed to run a PAL version succesfully? Is this some new sort of copy protection?
    Because if it is CAPCOM has failed miserably, as most of my friends buy their games officially and then run them on HDD,
    so my advise to them will be to avoid buying the game and download it directly, since it won't run on their systems....

8. EeZeEpEe

United States
    Hmm. What is your drive formated to? WBFS, FAT32, NTFS? I'm on FAT32.

9. MattJ

Newcomer MattJ Member

United Kingdom
    PAL version is working here using Hermes v4 38+37 merged.