Misc Others Does Metroid Prime use a scalable OTF/TTF Font?

mdtauk

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
To anyone who has extracted the files from Metroid Dread, do you know if the game uses a scalable font for its UI - I see the same font used at multiple sizes in the UI, so I am assuming it does, as other games do. I don't play downloaded games, so am unable to do the key dumps and all that stuff - just to find the OTF or TTF file used for the text.

If anyone is able to help me out, it would be appreciated.

mdtauk

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Some exploring further, I think they are just different sized textures. BCTEX files, which don't seem to open in tools like EveryFileExplorer, Ohana and SPICA

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have not pulled apart many Switch games but I would be surprised if it was TTF -- that is an Apple/Microsoft thing, and arguably a legacy one at that. I occasionally see some open formats used in games to dodge patent issues but that is usually more on the audio-video front than fonts, which tend to be quite custom.

Beyond that I would also be somewhat surprised if they implemented a full vector (vector being the generally used term for what you dubbed scaleable) format for fonts. As most games work at fixed resolutions they generally just spin off a few versions of a font with the characters they need (indeed can be characters for a region -- Japanese games not necessarily featuring the Roman/English alphabet, or at least a good one, and non Japanese not featuring Japanese characters) as a bitmap font. It is a fair bit of added processing power, especially if you get into sub pixel rendering which you kind of have to, for not a lot of gain.

mdtauk

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Splatoon2 and Breath of the Wild Switch, contain TTF and OTF fonts, all be it in a compressed sbotf/botf and sbttf/bttf formats, and I have seen it used in Mario Maker 2, within a ScalableFont.szs YAZ0 archive.

Anyway, Metroid Dread seems to have bfont files, with _20, _32, _32b, _52 suffixes, which leads me to believe these are the sizes. But then there are texture atlases stored elsewhere, as bctex files. I don't know how to convert these to something like PNG, so I can't do much with them.

But my initial question I think has been answered.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended