Does Luma3ds allow you to go online without updating the game itself?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by ar4757, May 6, 2016.

1. ar4757
    OP

ar4757 Member

Newcomer
    May 24, 2010
    United States
    I ask this because I just got Zygarde through the mystery gift in Pokemon Alpha Sapphire, but realized having just installed Luma the other day, I didn't have the 1.4 update patch installed yet. Despite this, the mystery gift still worked. Does this mean Luma allows online access without patching the game? That would be weird if so because how would online play work between two people? And I read the mystery gift needs an updated game to work so idk what happened, thanks

2. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ I drool on my knife

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    I do believe there was an early update that allowed out of date FW's to use eShop and online features without updating. I don't remember when it was though or if I am completely correct :unsure:

3. ar4757
    OP

ar4757 Member

Newcomer
    May 24, 2010
    United States
    Hmm thanks for that, I think that might just refer to the firmware of the 3ds though, ya know? Hard to say

4. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    I dunno what the benefit of this feature would be, but I do know that installing a CFW would not affect installed updates already on the SD. Your part about installing Luma is rather ambiguous, and we don't know if you moved to it from a previous CFW or if this is a fresh setup.

5. ar4757
    OP

ar4757 Member

Newcomer
    May 24, 2010
    United States
    My 3ds is blank slate, no data whatsoever, and is on 10.7 Sysnand Luma3ds cfw. I popped in my Sapphire cartridge and downloaded a mystery gift successfully. It shouldn't have worked without installing the 1.4 patch for Sapphire, so I assume Luma must be doing something

6. Hoppy

Hoppy GBAtemp Regular

Sep 15, 2015
    United States
    Fluffy Island
    Perhaps you don't need the update to download a Mystery Gift... Have you tried any other games that require an update, or another feature in Pokemon? (such as a battle)

7. Dracari

Dracari GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 5, 2009
    United States
    i belive Mysterygift doesnt need update data, to be certain try going online in PSS.