Does it make a difference what game I play?

Creamu

lowEMFradGAMER
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hello,

whether or not the choice of game impacts your exposure to EMF radiation depends on a number of factors. If you play on a PC or homeconsole it does not matter as long as the device is far enough from you body, especially if it is in a faraday cage. If you have the device close to you like with a high powered handheld like the switch or steam deck, it actually makes quite a difference.

If you play a game on lets say you steam deck and it causes your steam deck to increase clock speed, you will have more intense EMF radiation. The higher the clock speed the more concerning the EMF radiation. If you have a very low powered handheld like the original gameboy it is much better, or if you have a game on your smartphone (turn off wifi, airplane mode on etc) that doesn't cause the device to increase clock speed, that is much better.

In general you want to play on homeconsole with decent distance or at least a low powered handheld.

Reactions: Gekkodox

IC_

Cossus cossus
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It might be interesting to do some measurements of which games emit more of the hurtful EMF. If you have a computer with poorly wired speakers or a low quality sound card, you'll often hear some interference in your speakers, and you might be able to observe that the way it sounds can change depending on the task that the computer is doing. You could look into topics like Van Eck Phreaking if you haven't already, it's very interesting how the electromagnetic waves from electronic devices look and can be used from a distance, and how it's possible to write a computer program that will make the computer's internal circuitry emit radiation in such a way that it will be in tune to a song, if you were to listen to it with a radio receiver.

Reactions: Gekkodox and Creamu

Creamu

lowEMFradGAMER
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Another awesome post, thank you very much.
It might be interesting to do some measurements of which games emit more of the hurtful EMF. If you have a computer with poorly wired speakers or a low quality sound card, you'll often hear some interference in your speakers, and you might be able to observe that the way it sounds can change depending on the task that the computer is doing.
That is true, I can also record the sound of EMF radiation with a single coil guitar pickup and upload it. I have a PS Vita and can try different applications to demonstrate how they sound. D you know how dangerous magnets are for a device like a PS Vita per chance? Shouldn't be to dangerous since guitarist must hold their smartphones close to the pickup quite often and I never heard anything about it.

image.jpg

You could look into topics like Van Eck Phreaking if you haven't already,
I have not.
it's very interesting how the electromagnetic waves from electronic devices look and can be used from a distance, and how it's possible to write a computer program that will make the computer's internal circuitry emit radiation in such a way that it will be in tune to a song, if you were to listen to it with a radio receiver.
That makes sense to me, yes. Very interesting I will take a closer look at this work.

I will do some recordings of EMF waves and may also incorporate them into a song of my lowEMFradGAMER album.

Thank you very much for this brilliant idea!

Last edited by Creamu,
Reactions: IC_

IC_

Cossus cossus
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
D you know how dangerous magnets are for a device like a PS Vita per chance?
It shouldn't cause any issues, magnets only really cause issues for the devices that have mechanical components or strongly depend on magnetic fields in other ways (for example computer hard drives, speakers, CRT displays, medical equpiment). Although the PS Vita has speakers, they are not a critical component of the system and are small enough that a having bigger magnet at enough distance from them shouldn't cause issues or permanent damage.

Reactions: Creamu

Creamu

lowEMFradGAMER
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
It shouldn't cause any issues, magnets only really cause issues for the devices that have mechanical components or strongly depend on magnetic fields in other ways (for example computer hard drives, speakers, CRT displays, medical equpiment). Although the PS Vita has speakers, they are not a critical component of the system and are small enough that a having bigger magnet at enough distance from them shouldn't cause issues or permanent damage.
Thank you very much.

Reactions: IC_

Latest photos

Group events

Group statistics

Members:
Threads:
Photos: