Does it concern you your area may have sex offenders?

Marc_LFD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It probably does, but very few to none know about it.

I've noticed Canada and the U.K. keep this information confidential and it's unfortunate, as they should be known where they are. Yet, the police keeps them effectively protected by doing so.

However, in the U.S. you can freely check: https://www.familywatchdog.us/ | https://www.nsopw.gov/

Australia partially allows it: https://www.wa.gov.au/service/security/law-enforcement/access-registered-sex-offender-information

For the U.K., I found this website, but it has very, very few archived: https://offenders.org.uk/

Citizens of all countries should have the right to know if they live near to kiddy touchers. I'm not advocating for violence or arson, obviously not, just people being aware.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It is an interesting debate.

The point of law and punishment is ultimately rehabilitation, and you probably don't want to live anywhere where it is not. That is not to say the efficacy of such a concept is not in question (if nothing else jail was originally there to hold people until court), and even further if it is likely a serious mental defect that led someone down that path as treatments there are rarely given. An anchor around your neck very easily prevents that (the homelessness, structural at that, and joblessness rates of those with public sex offender records is really quite notable) and thus becomes questionable under that notion.

I will also note the UK does do background checking (if you see a job posting mention the need for a CRB, or these days ecrb, then that is what that is. Children, elderly and vulnerable tend to be main things aimed at that, though you can also see background checks for investors* but that is more for fraud related concerns. Sometimes also compelled if you want to employ younger people so that is another reason there are bugger all jobs for younger people these days) so protections are supposed to be more on that front -- trusted person and family member being overwhelmingly where you are likely to encounter such people with old man sitting on a park bench being one of those more irrational fears if you go by the stats.

*friend of mind working at an investment firm said she once got back a check on a client and serious serious bad dude on this whole side of things came back, not fraud though so business as usual.

Of course if you want to point and laugh/look on in disgust at the UK then the grooming gangs saga is probably where you would go for that one.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

Youkai

Demon
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Well if they are set free I'd say they hopefully got their Punishment and also hopefully won't ever do it again so (as a Guy) I wouldn't care ...

I really am negatively biased about people who had to go into Prison (if it was because of drugs or any kind of assault, I don't care that much for people who cheated the system though) but they are still Human people and if they learned their lesson you should try to accept them somehow.

zxr750j

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I live in a city, there must be a lot of offenders of any kind within a 5km radius. It wont make me feel any safer if I know how many of these people are living in my neighborhood.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

Marc_LFD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I live in a city, there must be a lot of offenders of any kind within a 5km radius. It wont make me feel any safer if I know how many of these people are living in my neighborhood.
That's true.

It's just a matter of knowing how many of them are around and curiosity, also. Children are so sacred that even criminals don't target children.

Reactions: zxr750j

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: 🥓 🍳 🍞 🍽️ 🥛