Does Installing Preloader removes BootMii

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by edg0023, Jul 2, 2009.

Jul 2, 2009
  1. edg0023
    OP

Member edg0023 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Hi everyone

I had BootMii installed and decided to go with Preloader. Once I installed Preloader I was unable to see BootMii anymore. Does this mean BootMii was uninstalled?
    I'm just wondering.

2. beegee7730

Banned beegee7730 ITS PAAFEKUTO!

United Kingdom
    no, they are totally different.
    Maybe it is your SD.

3. lajd

Member lajd GBAtemp Regular

United States
    bootmii won't load if it doesn't find bootmii files in the sd

4. clonesniper666

Member clonesniper666 KRII LUN AUS

United States
    Did you set preloader to autoboot to the system emnu or to itself. If it is set to not autoboot then it will come up before bootmii, so set it to autoboot to the system menu and bootmii should be there, if you have the bootmii files on your sd card.

5. edg0023
    OP

United States
    I was thinking if there is a purpose to have both bootmii and preloader because if preloader is good enough to protect my from a bricked wii then I would like to remove bootmii.

What do you guyz think. Should i remove bootmii and just keep preloader?

6. kLiNiKaL

Member kLiNiKaL Dr. Greenthumb

Jamaica
    Bootmii is better protection than Preloader

preloader is just useful for sysmenu hacks now like regionfree and stuff.

oh and turning of that annoying fuckin BGM

7. kedest

Member kedest GBAtemp Psycho!

Netherlands
    bootmii offers superior brick protection. it can fully restore the nand (if you have a backup), no matter how much you screwed it up.

8. supagusti

Member supagusti GBAtemp Regular

Austria
    No - Bootmii and Prelaoder can coexist together on one Wii.
    If you installed bootmii in /boot2 - i think you're meaning this - you should see the bootmii screen before preloader screen appears.
    If you cannot see the bootmii screen watch for the blue dvd leds flashing rapidly - this means the sd is not inserted/or the sd isn't recognized by bootmii.

Edit: DO NOT UNINSTALL BOOTMII - it protects your Wii much better then preloader.

9. edg0023
    OP

United States
    Another Question

I have two Wiis. One has bootmii installed in boot2 and in IOS. The other Wii can only install Bootmii in IOS. I am worried about my second Wii that does not have BootMii installed in boot2. Is there a chance because it is only installed in IOS that it can be removed if i do some changes in the IOS. Also do you know which IOS BootMii is installed into?

10. nabster92

Member nabster92 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States

It's installed to IOS254 I believe. Nothing that you do yourself should really mess with that. A Nintendo update possibly can, but you should avoid ever doing an official update again anyways.

For the Wii you have boot2 bootmii on, if you use it to make a nand backup you will be 100% brick proof on that Wii and do not need preloader for anything other than system menu hacks that startpatch can do anyways.

For the other Wii you should install preloader as the IOS bootmii won't do anything for a brick.

11. edg0023
    OP

United States
    Thank you nabster

12. bnm81002

Member bnm81002 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I have BootMii installed along with Preloader, I accidentally set it to boot to the System Menu with the BootMii Configuration Editor, how can I set it back to boot into the BootMii menu? thanks

13. nabster92

Member nabster92 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    In the same way you set it to autoboot. Edit the config.ini file in the bootmii folder to autoboot what you want it to boot to normally and then set bootdelay to like 3-5 seconds or so it will automatically load the system menu or HBC when you turn it on but still let you have access to the bootmii menu if you press something on a GC controller or the face buttons on the Wii within those 3-5 seconds.

14. Vegeta

Member Vegeta GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Newer Wii's can't install Bootmii as boot2 so the best brick protection for those Wii's is to install Preloader and also Bootmii as an IOS so you can restore your NAND if something goes wrong but this combination is still not as good as installing Bootmii to boot2 but its the best you can get on a newer Wii.

15. bnm81002

Member bnm81002 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States

it didn't work at first, either pressing the Reset or Eject button, since I have Preloader installed, holding the Reset button loads into the Preloader menu but after pressing both the Reset and Eject buttons, it loaded into the BootMii menu, thanks for the help