Does Hombrew run any better on the Wii U?

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by HeavyMetalLoser, Dec 24, 2016.

1. HeavyMetalLoser
    OP

HeavyMetalLoser Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 28, 2016
    United States
    Just something I was curious about. Can Homebrew apps take advantage of the greater power of the Wii U to run faster or smooth than on the Wii?
    For example do the GBA and N64 emulators get better framerates on the Wii U than on the Wii?

2. VinsCool

VinsCool Delusional

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    Oh yes it definitely will.
    GBA and most of the Retroarch cores run much better on Wiiu mode.

N64 is likely as well, considering that there is n64 virtual co aole and many successful injections. No word on emulator port, but considering the power, it will run much better on WiiU

3. HeavyMetalLoser
    OP

Newcomer
    Nov 28, 2016
    United States
    If that the case I might pick up one once Nintendo stops releasing updates for it. What would make me really consider it is if someone gets a PS1 emulator working at full speed on it.

4. VinsCool

VinsCool Delusional

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    There hasn't been updates for months now. And the console has been pawned wide open, so this is the ideal time to grab a WiiU.
    There is no eta on when a fullspeed ps1 emu would happen, but it will happen someday. There's the retroarch psx core that is currently the closest attempt. It runs in interpreter mode though, so it is very slow.

5. Zero72463

Zero72463 GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 27, 2016
    United States
    Or you could pick up one right now. ;)

6. HeavyMetalLoser
    OP

Newcomer
    Nov 28, 2016
    United States
    Right now a slightly better framerate in VBA GX isn't enough to justify getting a whole new console. It would take full-speed N64 emulation plus the promise of full-speed PS1 emulation in the near future for me to consider buying a Wii U. Even Wii U games don't really matter to me, as most if not all the ones I care about are confirmed, rumored, or very likely to get updated ports on the Switch, and I'd rather get those versions.

7. VinsCool

VinsCool Delusional

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    That will come, someday. Stay positive