Does HDMI and component have the same picture quality?

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by ALX1982, Dec 16, 2009.

1. ALX1982
    OP

Newcomer ALX1982 Member

Sweden
    I only have one HDMI slot in my HD ready LCD TV. I use it with my DVD-player.
    Can I connect an X-Box 360 with the component cable and get the best picture quality, or does it have to be through HDMI for best quality?

2. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    Best quality? Component and composite are certainly not as good as HDMI in terms of quality, however if your TV only has 1 HDMI port, it's a fair bet that it doesn't support 1080p, so you probably won't lose any real quality in switching over. You could also try VGA, although it'll likely strip the image of any post-processing abilities the TV may have (only applies to flatscreens).

Protip: Make sure your component cable is shielded, or you'll likely end up with ghosting issues. Official cables are shielded, but many third party cables are not.

3. Elritha

Member Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    There really isn't any noticeable difference in visual quality, more so if it's 720p or 1080i. The one difference is that HDMI is a digital signal, while component is analog, so it needs to be converted to analog, it may have some minor loss, but nothing the eye could distinguish.

4. ALX1982
    OP

Newcomer ALX1982 Member

Sweden
    My TV does support 1080. I don't remember if it's 1080p or 1080i though.
    I don't have an X-Box 360 yet, but I want to get one. Maybe I need a new TV first, lol. But if there isn't any noticable difference between HDMI and component.. then I guess it doesn't matter..

5. Keeley

Member Keeley GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    i seriously don't see the difference between 1080i and 1080p xD

6. pitoui

Member pitoui GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
  7. Maz7006

Member Maz7006 iSEXu

Lebanon
    Same

But there is a noticeable difference between 720p and 1080i

As for the HDMI/Componant stuff, well depends. I personally don't really care much, as long as im having fun playing the game, the ONLY thing i see in HDMI is that there is less hassle with cables and such.

8. Originality

United Kingdom
    The difference between 1080i and 1080p cannot actually be detected by the human eye. Interlaced means that the picture is always alternating between its odd and even scanlines (or something like that, I forget the technical names for it). Progressive shows all lines at the same time, all the time. This means that 1080p is "truer", with deeper colours, contrast, etc, although as I said, the difference cannot be detected by the human eye.

There's a test to show the difference... something to do with motion or something like that... but I cannot for the life of me remember anything about it.

In any case, as mentioned in pitoui's linked article, the only real way to test which is truly better in terms of image quality, is to plug both in and see which you like better. Personally, since the screen I use has to upscale to achieve 1080p, I prefer HDMI purely for the same reason as Maz - it's 1 simple cable compared to 5, so it's much easier to plug in. Besides, I've got my Wii connected to component, my PS2 and Xbox connected to the two composites, and my laptop, computer and 360 connected up to the HMDI ports.

9. rip-it-up

Member rip-it-up GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    i can notice the difference on my 42inch 1080p tv when comparing it to my mates 720p tvs all using the ps3 to test. (so can they) im surpised that your tv hasnt got more than one hdmi port but if it has only one, then component is fine with the x360 although on my setup, the wii takes up my component slots.

10. Elritha

Member Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    If your tv is big enough (42 inch +) you would notice a difference between 1080p and 1080i. Not a huge difference, but it is there. Not that it really matters much anyway. Not much content is in 1080p yet. [​IMG]

11. Sportsmaniac1322

Member Sportsmaniac1322 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    If you can go with HDMI, that's definitely what you want to do. I have a solution to your problem, though. I ran out of HDMI inputs awhile ago, so I got this: http://bit.ly/8Aers3. You hook it up to your HDMI port, and it gives you 3 hdmi ports. It automatically switches to whichever source is turned on, and it works great!! Also, it comes with a remote to switch it that way. There's no loss in quality, and it's probably the best solution for your situation [​IMG].

12. Prophet

Member Prophet Resident Black Militant

United States
    I don't know much about picture quality (I'm blind), but I like the way hdmi feels. It's got a nice texture compared to component.

13. Jaems

Member Jaems GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Just pick up an HDMI.
    They're one simple cable, and they're dirt cheap online.
    I just ordered one from Amazon for $3.18, shipping included.

And, yes, those cheap ones you see online work just as well as those "Ultra Monster Cables" you see for $60 at Best Buy.

14. Originality

United Kingdom
    In response to this: http://www.bluejeanscable.com/articles/do-...you-pay-for.htm

As long as the cable is short, then there won't be any significant difference, although at some point cheaper cables lose signal faster than the expensive ones, depending on how they're built. Saying that, I went and got myself a handful of £2 HDMI cables off Amazon and they work just fine between my 360s and my Monitor/TV.

15. DKAngel

Member DKAngel GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    get a hdmi splitter from ebay, i managed to pick one up for 30$au and it auto detects which signal is in use and switches auto maticly as i only have 1 hdmi port and 3 things that i use for it =] might save some hasstles

16. Originality

United Kingdom
    I wonder about those auto-switchers... they sound fine in theory, but what happens if you've got, for example, 3 HDMI devices on at the same time? Say, Laptop, Computer and Xbox360 at the same time. How do you switch between them if it's supposed to do it automatically?

17. skydoune

Newcomer skydoune Advanced Member

Canada
    I have an auto switcher for composite/svideo and it works like a charm. It has priorities if more than 1 device is on at the same time. Mine will always display input 1 first, then 2, and so on. I presume a good hdmi switcher could do the same.

As for 1080i vs 1080p, yeah I do see a difference on my 46 inches tv. Before I got me a dvi-hdmi cable I used to plug my computer on my tv via component outputting at 1080i. It looked like shit. Images were fine but text was quiite difficult to read, it needs every pixel available, not one every two pixel you know. When I got the cable to plug it via hdmi in full 1080p I never looked back. Everything was crisp clear, especially text. I've never looked back and after 1 year my computer is still next to my tv. My 22inches widescreen lcd monitor is gathering dust now.

18. Raki

Member Raki GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Germany
    Do these HDMI switches lower quality like scart splitter did (at least mine did lol)?

19. Originality

United Kingdom
    If they're built decently, then no, HDMI switches will not lower quality. On the other hand, a switcher will effectively double the length of the HDMI track, so cheaper cables may show some decrease in quality... maybe. That's the theory anyway.

20. ZeWarrior

Member ZeWarrior TheWarrior

Brazil