Hacking Does Gateway support RTS?

alucard77

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry if this was asked, I was skimming around and did not see anything. Does Gateway currently support RTS (Real Time Saves)?

Also, is there any issues with saving in general? I have been using 2.1 just today and didn't see any issue with a game saving.

Thanks for reading.

apachehavok

Trophies
XP
Country
Angola
Oh you mean like save states in emulators? Real time saving is not a thing even on real un-modded retail 3d's right?

IronClouds

GBAtemp's Pokébro
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gateway's Real-Time Saving feature is the same as when you save the game as you would a retail cart (using the games normal saving functions in menus, etc.). It's only a big deal because prior to the Omega releases, you had to close out of the ROM using HOME + X + A so that the save file is retained and your progress is not lost next time you load up that ROM (there's more to this, but this is the gist of it). Save states like on an emulator are currently not possible on Gateway or any other 3DS mode flashcart.

apachehavok

Trophies
XP
Country
Angola
Still slightly confused here. With games like say, Luigis Manson where you have to get to a checkpoint for it to even save....even on a real cart, closing out between save points in the game would still lose progress. How was it any different before?

Are you saying that for gateways pre OMEGA save feature to work you had to at least quit out once for it to even create a save file?

Either way, with OMEGA 2.1 all saving is pretty much identical to retail 3ds's correct?

IronClouds

GBAtemp's Pokébro
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, let's use your example. Luigi's Mansion handles saving by having the player reach checkpoints (I haven't played that game, so I'm going by your post only). When you reached that checkpoint on a Gateway 2.0b2 firmware and lower (and using a Luigi's Mansion ROM), you'd see the saving animation and you'd be under the impression that your progress is being saved. If you were to power down your 3DS in-game and switch ROMs or play DS games on the same 3DS, your Luigi's Mansion progress would be lost. In order for your Luigi's Mansion save to be retained, you would have had to exit the game by pressing HOME, then X, then A to go back to the Gateway mode 3DS menu. This is how you had to exit every 3DS game so your saves would be functioning normally.

Edit: As of Gateway's recent Omega releases, you can exit games however you choose and your saves would work next time you fire up that ROM.

redkeyboard

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has anyone actually tested the real time save feature? Keep in mind that prior to omega saves were transferred to the red card real time, but to the SD card by Home + X. The proper way to test would be by ejecting the cart, switching roms, saving in that rom, then going back to the other rom and seeing if it saved.

alucard77

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys,

When I was referring to real time save, it was like a save state in an emulator. I know for my Nintendo DS they referred to it as a real time save or RTS enabled.

So in the example above, In Luigis mansion you can save anywhere and when you load up the RTS or save state, or whatever you want to call it, it will load from that exact point you saved.

It does not need to be at a checkpoint.

IronClouds

GBAtemp's Pokébro
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys,

When I was referring to real time save, it was like a save state in an emulator. I know for my Nintendo DS they referred to it as a real time save or RTS enabled.

So in the example above, In Luigis mansion you can save anywhere and when you load up the RTS or save state, or whatever you want to call it, it will load from that exact point you saved.

What you're describing is not possible on a 3DS mode flashcart. I understand what you were asking, I was simply clearing up what Gateway meant when they referred to their feature as Real Time Saving.

elunesgrace

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey guys,

That would be a hack, so no.

alucard77

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What you're describing is not possible on a 3DS mode flashcart. I understand what you were asking, I was simply clearing up what Gateway meant when they referred to their feature as Real Time Saving.

Gotcha. It gets confusing when companies use the same name for different features.

I am sure they will eventually do save states. If they figured it out on the DS, I'm sure they will figure it out here as well.

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has anyone actually tested the real time save feature? Keep in mind that prior to omega saves were transferred to the red card real time, but to the SD card by Home + X. The proper way to test would be by ejecting the cart, switching roms, saving in that rom, then going back to the other rom and seeing if it saved.

You don't need to eject the cart to switch roms anymore, though. Switching between roms my saves are all still there, so beyond that, I don't know what else there is to say.

Yep. If Omega were a woman, she'd bear my children.

If Omega were a woman she'd be so... popular... that we'd all need to go on Maury to find who is the father.

Reactions: IronClouds

Retrievil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You don't need to eject the cart to switch roms anymore, though. Switching between roms my saves are all still there, so beyond that, I don't know what else there is to say.

You have to save a game, then power down your 3DS without exiting to the menu to truly test it. Switching roms requires you to exit to the menu, which would save like it did on firmwares before omega.

Yes I tested it to be sure. I did with a couple games. Games save just like carts now, you do not have to exit.

Reactions: redkeyboard

jqrn

Trophies
XP
Country
You have to save a game, then power down your 3DS without exiting to the menu to truly test it. Switching roms requires you to exit to the menu, which would save like it did on firmwares before omega.

Yes I tested it to be sure. I did with a couple games. Games save just like carts now, you do not have to exit.

I'm one of those who hardly ever shuts down the 3ds. I've been playing harmoknights up to 45 royal notes. After a couple of days, i got an error stating that the card had been removed. Np I thought. There's RTS in omega. But no. All was lost because i didnt do the old fashioned HOME-> X manouvre.

How did you go by to get it to save like retail card?

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm one of those who hardly ever shuts down the 3ds. I've been playing harmoknights up to 45 royal notes. After a couple of days, i got an error stating that the card had been removed. Np I thought. There's RTS in omega. But no. All was lost because i didnt do the old fashioned HOME-> X manouvre.

How did you go by to get it to save like retail card?
It seems, for whatever reason, that if the game is halted through a crash, the progress is not saved. I've seen this happen during the two times Omega has crashed on me, but luckily the first one only lost 10-20 minutes of progress, and the second one was testing to see if that crash could be replicated.

MGS1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It seems, for whatever reason, that if the game is halted through a crash, the progress is not saved. I've seen this happen during the two times Omega has crashed on me, but luckily the first one only lost 10-20 minutes of progress, and the second one was testing to see if that crash could be replicated.

I've also had this happen once while playing since the update. I lost about an hour of progress (I should have saved since I had made significant progress, but didn't.)

I can't totally fault Gateway though since I have had this happen once or twice on a non modified 3DS and using retail carts. I'm just chalking it up to a hiccup while playing the game causing a crash just like on any other console (disk and cart based.) Best advice that I can give is just save often, especially if you have made significant progress.

Reactions: IronClouds

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I'm back