Hacking does download play with the R4 work now?

Korey

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, the GBAtemp review for the R4DS says that download play fails with certain games.
QUOTE said:
Mario Kart DS
New Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario 64 DS
- PROBLEMS: Plays and saves fine. Download play doesn't work.
Is this still the case?

Also, the review says that the R4 has low homebrew compatibility. Is this true?

QUOTEÂ Â * BeUp- PASS
  * DS Wi-Fi Chat- PASS
  * NES DS- PASS
  * DS Linux- PROBLEMS Loads but doesn't support file system.
  * DS Doom- FAIL Cannot find doom.wad
  * Snezzi DS- FAIL
  * SNEmulDS- FAIL
  * NDS Mail- FAIL
  * Picodrive DS- FAIL
  * Stella DS- FAIL
  * ScummVM- FAIL
  * snesDS- FAIL
  * DS Organize- FAIL

The review was written in December of 2006 so I'm hoping some or all of these bugs have been fixed by then. Any thoughts?

Korey

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, I've searched and it looks like a patch in July fixed most of the multiplayer bugs?

But the main question remains: does the R4 still have bad support for homebrew?

Venko

Trophies
XP
Country
Most homebrew used DLDI nowadays which means it will work on any cart that has a DLDI driver. I have an M3 Simply (an R4 rebrand) and AFAIK all homebrew nowadays uses DLDI. Any that doesn't is just a case of author incompetence.

iritegood

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The R4 has perfect download play compatibility. All homebrew that uses the filesystem should work, as long as it's been updated in 2007+ Homebrew that doesn't access the filesystem should've worked anyways.

Venko

Trophies
XP
Country
I believe some old homebrew applications that use PAlib may also not work - even though they are DLDI compliant. An old version of PAlib didn't seem to work properly with the R4 (the touch screen if I remember correctly) but anything compiled with recent versions of PAlib should be fine.

I can vouch for the R4. It's very good value and easy to use (drag and drop)
smile.gif

striderx

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
AFIK about the only major DS feature that the R4 doesn't support is Wii connectivity. This is only utilized by Pokemon Battle Revolution and Geometry Wars.

Otherwise the feature set is complete, though some games have not worked when first released because the publishers used new or updated encryption libraries. When this has happened the R4 team has been reasonably quick at delivering a fix, though everyone complained unjustifyibly over the long wait for kernel Ver. 1.12.

Compatibility has seldom been an issue with the R4 for long -- both homebrew and ROMs.

It's been the whinging about missing features that the scene seems to feel they're entitiled to that gets the most attention . Those being support for microSDHC (unlikely to happen as an update for the current card) and Wii connectivity.

striderx

Korey

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok thanks for the help. I've just put in the purchase for my first R4
smile.gif
Your reassurances have been great.

One question. What is DLDI? Do you have any recommended guides I could read to understand all this stuff while I wait for my flash card?

Also, while I'm here. Which MicroSD card should I buy? I've heard that Toshiba/Kingston Japan ones were the most compatible. Is this still true? Or is this an outdated fact as well?

hybridkit

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
ok thanks for the help. I've just put in the purchase for my first R4
smile.gif
Your reassurances have been great.

One question. What is DLDI? Do you have any recommended guides I could read to understand all this stuff while I wait for my flash card?

Also, while I'm here. Which MicroSD card should I buy? I've heard that Toshiba/Kingston Japan ones were the most compatible. Is this still true? Or is this an outdated fact as well?

DLDI

MicroSD , scroll down to the microSD card section , 1GB kingston (Japan) should work fine.
smile.gif

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
AFIK about the only major DS feature that the R4 doesn't support is Wii connectivity. This is only utilized by Pokemon Battle Revolution and Geometry Wars.

Otherwise the feature set is complete, though some games have not worked when first released because the publishers used new or updated encryption libraries. When this has happened the R4 team has been reasonably quick at delivering a fix, though everyone complained unjustifyibly over the long wait for kernel Ver. 1.12.

Compatibility has seldom been an issue with the R4 for long -- both homebrew and ROMs.

It's been the whinging about missing features that the scene seems to feel they're entitiled to that gets the most attention . Those being support for microSDHC (unlikely to happen as an update for the current card) and Wii connectivity.

striderx

It's only PBR that Wii connectivity doesn't work for, as far as I know Geometry Wars Wii connectivity is fine.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Hands free vr