Hacking Does constantly formatting damage the microSD?

CSD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a Japanese Kingston 1GB microSD. Are there any hard and fast rules when it comes to how many times or how often it can be formatted? I only recently got my R4 and I've already done it once when switching to a new batch of games and updating the firmware. I imagine I'll be doing this a lot for the next week or two as I try out new games, and to avoid corruption or fragmentation, I will probably format it every time.

So would this have any negative effects on the microSD?

HBK

Clover - Fearless to Speak Now. ;)
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
No, it doesn't cause damage, AFAIK. But why format so many times? You state corruption, but I try new games and I just delete the ROM and .sav and voilá. Gone.

Fragmentation? Well, this is not exactly a HD. It gets only just a little fragmented with time.

Though if you format a lot, I suggest using this tool:
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?download=389

It formats your MSD card better than Window's format tool.

UltraMagnus

hic sunt dracones
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
basically, flash chips have a limited number of writes for each sector before that sector dies, however after a sector dies the whole card will no longer work

i, personally would not worry about it, i have only ever seen this happen once, and that was for a usb pen drive that was in day to day use every day for over three years

so in other words, try to avoid continuously formatting it, but dont worry about it too much...

CSD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the help. And thanks for the link, brutalboy. I'll be using that from now on.

See, I was under the impression that deleting/copying is the cause of corrupted save files. I thought formatting would be a safer bet.

On average, how often should I format?

Skye07

Trophies
Website
www.skyon.be
XP
Country
Belgium
In belgium a PC magazine did a test, with SD & CF cards to see how many times you can write, erase & format. After a week nonstop looping this process they gave up on over 300.000 times. I'd say don't you worry about breaking your card because of formatting
biggrin.gif

Lukeage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I've read somewhere than on average they have a write cycle of close to a million writes on average before failure.

As for fragmentation, it isn't a concern on flash memory because the access times don't make a difference because there isn't a physical head to move to read the next part.

HBK

Clover - Fearless to Speak Now. ;)
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Thanks for the help. And thanks for the link, brutalboy. I'll be using that from now on.

See, I was under the impression that deleting/copying is the cause of corrupted save files. I thought formatting would be a safer bet.

No problem. I'm here to and I'm glad to have helped you.
smile.gif

No, generally corruption occurs when, for example, you physically disconnect your MSD reader/adapter from your USB/card reader slot WHILE it is reading or writing. That's why you should always use the Safety Removal Tool (I don't, and I don't have corruption, but I always make sure the light goes steady on the MSD reader and all writing to the disk has ceased).

I'd format only IF I had noticeable signs of corruption, TBH, but once a month is fine.
smile.gif

philco1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You will damage the card more by taking it in and out of ur M3/R4 than by formatting it multiple times
biggrin.gif

CSD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

No problem. I'm here to and I'm glad to have helped you.
smile.gif

No, generally corruption occurs when, for example, you physically disconnect your MSD reader/adapter from your USB/card reader slot WHILE it is reading or writing. That's why you should always use the Safety Removal Tool (I don't, and I don't have corruption, but I always make sure the light goes steady on the MSD reader and all writing to the disk has ceased).

I'd format only IF I had noticeable signs of corruption, TBH, but once a month is fine.
smile.gif

Got it. Thanks again.

lildaz

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

jtroye32

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've read somewhere than on average they have a write cycle of close to a million writes on average before failure.

As for fragmentation, it isn't a concern on flash memory because the access times don't make a difference because there isn't a physical head to move to read the next part.

which is why they need to make solid state hard drives mainstream.

with only 1gb there won't be any fragmentation slow down or performance decrease with use. so don't worry about formatting more than every once in a great while.

h8uthemost

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Fat D

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I had corruption because the included microSD reader and my front USB ports were both not really stable.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Least they got head in the end