Gaming Does China and Taiwan have a such thing as a "DS"?

Narin

The Cheat Master, kupo!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
cheats.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Hmm, does the iQue have the same or better performance with games? I know they had to tweak the hardware a little to take into account the chinese character set and increase of characters on the screen. Also is the Health loading screen in chinese?

xCuteBunnyx

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
rofl, i don't get it though isn't japenese and chinese the same sized characters? (I'm chinese, but can't read and write, only a bit of reading and writing)
I get the whole ds part, but not the japenese and chinese thingy.

Joujoudoll

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Wow.... The difference is Chinese has more characters that are not supported by the original DS... Japanese is a completely different language with different characters... Kanji is the closest thing in Japanese to Chinese.

Narin

The Cheat Master, kupo!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
cheats.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Joujoudoll said:
Wow.... The difference is Chinese has more characters that are not supported by the original DS... Japanese is a completely different language with different characters... Kanji is the closest thing in Japanese to Chinese.
The Nintendo DS already has full support for Japanese and English as well as some other character sets. Mainly because Nintendo added support for all the major countries where the Nintendo DS will be sold in. Since Japan is basicly the home and birth place of Nintendo, the Japanese language set is a given, and so is english as well. Not only that, but including the Chinese character set would require the DS to have more internal memory which would have raised the cost of production a slightly bit more when it really wasn't needed outside of China.

China was never in the big picture in the beginning. A little lesson for you all, if you didn't know already, to set up shop in China, an organization or company requires a special license to operate in China. Its near impossible for a non-chinese operated company or organization to get a license to operate in China. So instead of going through all the trouble, big businesses either buy or partner up with pre-existing Chinese businesses. This is what Google, Yahoo and many others did to be able to operate in China. The same goes for Nintendo.

So Nintendo ended up partnering up with a Chinese organization to produce their products in China under the name iQue, hence instead of being called Nintendo DS, its iQue DS. Now since the original Nintendo DS never had support for the Chinese characters, the hardware was tweaked to include the Chinese character set.

Joujoudoll

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
fateastray said:
Umm..Maybe he wasn't talking to you...Forum is for everyone to read..

Do you see what is above my post? It's called a "Quote" which usually indicates that the person is talking to whomever they are quoting.....

Narin

The Cheat Master, kupo!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
cheats.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Joujoudoll said:
Umm... I already knew all this....
Oh, I wasn't directly focusing that to you, I was speaking in a more general term for those interested in the differences between the iQue and Nintendo DS and such.
smile.gif

Joujoudoll

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Narin said:
Joujoudoll said:
Oh, I wasn't directly focusing that to you, I was speaking in a more general term for those interested in the differences between the iQue and Nintendo DS and such.
smile.gif

I was confused because you quoted what I said in your post... Sorry about that.
unsure.gif

Narin

The Cheat Master, kupo!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
cheats.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Joujoudoll said:
Narin said:
Joujoudoll said:
smile.gif

I was confused because you quoted what I said in your post... Sorry about that.
unsure.gif

Ah sorry about that, I quoted you because it was a bit informative and I used it as a basis for my post
smile.gif

Gman 101

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I know that you can buy the actual DS (not iQue) in China. My friend bought a DS in China... I guess 'cos everything's made there. I love the dragon iQue... I regret not getting one while I was in China...

Taiwan has the normal DS, nothing special.

SajjadK

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
First of all, a few questions…
1. Does this DS look any different from another DS? I know the bottom has text in Chinese instead of English, but anything else?
2. Does the DS work any differently from a regular DS? Are teh menus different? Are they in Chinese? Can you set them to English?
3. Anything else I should know before buying one?

Secondly, where can I buy one of these in Canada?

I've check on eBay, and there are some, but they ship all the way from China. I would prefer something in Canada, if not North America.

I know it's more expensive to get this version than just the Crimson. But I don't mind paying the extra money. Also, I don't mind if the cost is a bit more to get it from here.

I was thinking Pacific Mall, but it isn't exactly nearby and going there and finding nothing is always a tiring.

Also, if you guys did get it form eBay, can you find out what seller you got it from?

Thanks!

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
SajjadK said:
1. Does this DS look any different from another DS? I know the bottom has text in Chinese instead of English, but anything else?
2. Does the DS work any differently from a regular DS? Are teh menus different? Are they in Chinese? Can you set them to English?

I've check on eBay, and there are some, but they ship all the way from China. I would prefer something in Canada, if not North America.

I know it's more expensive to get this version than just the Crimson. But I don't mind paying the extra money. Also, I don't mind if the cost is a bit more to get it from here.

I was thinking Pacific Mall, but it isn't exactly nearby and going there and finding nothing is always a tiring.

Also, if you guys did get it form eBay, can you find out what seller you got it from?

Thanks!
I can't explain everything, but these are just the small things I know.

No, there really aren't that many differences, other than adding the Chinese language, and instead of saying the "DS" It'll say iQue instead. I'm pretty sure there really aren't other differences than that.

And I'm very sure you would have to buy used iQue DSs in Canada at high prices, if there even are any. Not that many people around here know what an iQue DS is, you see, and since it's an import and rare in Canada, they'll charge quite more on it. If you're ordering from an American dealer, you should check their feedback, which is more efficient than just asking people and waiting until they reply.(I'm not saying you shouldn't ask, but I'm just saying you should check it out yourself first.)

SajjadK

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
ojsinnerz said:
SajjadK said:

Thanks!

No, there really aren't that many differences, other than adding the Chinese language, and instead of saying the "DS" It'll say iQue instead. I'm pretty sure there really aren't other differences than that.

And I'm very sure you would have to buy used iQue DSs in Canada at high prices, if there even are any. Not that many people around here know what an iQue DS is, you see, and since it's an import and rare in Canada, they'll charge quite more on it. If you're ordering from an American dealer, you should check their feedback, which is more efficient than just asking people and waiting until they reply.(I'm not saying you shouldn't ask, but I'm just saying you should check it out yourself first.)

Have you used one before? Are there are differences in the ports?
Well, there are no American deals on eBay, only Chinese… I'm not being racist, but I don't trust many things coming out of China from eBay.
It will cost 130 to 210$ CAD to buy from eBay (as they are auctions and prices vary), so anything around that in Canada would be good. Plus, I would get it instantly and be able to see what I am buying before paying, unlike with something in China. XD.

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
SajjadK said:
ojsinnerz said:
SajjadK said:

Thanks!

Have you used one before? Are there are differences in the ports?
Well, there are no American deals on eBay, only Chinese… I'm not being racist, but I don't trust many things coming out of China from eBay.
It will cost 130 to 210$ CAD to buy from eBay (as they are auctions and prices vary), so anything around that in Canada would be good. Plus, I would get it instantly and be able to see what I am buying before paying, unlike with something in China. XD.

No, I do not have any experiences with them, yet I've heard these from other menbers before. And I understand (About the Chinese dealing), since there's been so many fake products. Even my Chinese friend prefers not to buy anything off of China.

Anyway, so far, I have not seen any Canadian dealers that were selling the iQue, so I can't help you there.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    straferz @ straferz: Anybody know why this is happening to my ACWW town...