Does Breaking Bad ever get more focused on the crime than the soap opera?

Discussion in 'Books, Music, TV & Movies' started by Wolvenreign, May 28, 2013.

1. Wolvenreign
    OP

Wolvenreign Transhuman Satanist Furry Technocrat

Jul 7, 2008
    United States
    Indianapolis, IN
    Sup, everyone. I don't usually pick up television series, but Breaking Bad has caused my interest as of late. I like the setup and all, but I just finished season 1, and it seems very soap opera-ish. I like the crime sequences, but there is so much screentime dedicated to people's feelings and the like.

Just wondering if it eventually ramps up the crime and tones down the soap.

Thanks in advance.

2. hisagishi

hisagishi GBAtemp Regular

Feb 22, 2013
    United States
    It goes back and forth honestly. Sometimes its about the family, sometimes its about not letting shit hit the fan, etc.

3. Guild McCommunist

Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

May 6, 2009
    United States
    The Danger Zone
    Breaking Bad is a character-driven drama, not some crime show.

4. Wolvenreign
    OP

Jul 7, 2008
    United States
    Indianapolis, IN
    Yeeeeaaaah, I get that, I guess. It just seems like, after having seen the first episode, I get the premise behind it. I get the stakes, I get why Walter White is doing what he's doing. I dunno, I just feel like I don't need to be reminded about that by a large chunk of every episode.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

5. Guild McCommunist

May 6, 2009
    United States
    The Danger Zone

You're not really, you're just finding out Walter's true personality and how the whole ordeal changed him or brought out who he really was. I mean as the series goes on you eventually find that Walter is a terrible person, and you learn that really he's always been but the power and money he got from drug dealing just made this come into the light.

So it's not entirely about the crime plots, while they certainly can be interesting they do move quite slowly. They're more so to highlight the characters and to give them situations in which they'll evolve or to inform the audience on them. Some episodes can be seen as almost entirely pointless to the plot but serve as illustration to the characters.

6. Wolvenreign
    OP

Jul 7, 2008
    United States
    Indianapolis, IN
    Thanks for the info, Guild. I think for that reason I'm going to drop Breaking Bad. It's not anything against the show, persay, I just find character-driven shows to be terrifically boring.

I guess it's because I have what most people would consider an unusual view of the world, where people's personalities are really just anecdotal implementations of the human neurological system. Whenever I think about personality, I tend to be more interested in the process that generates those traits than the traits themselves. It's like I can't even help myself these days; whenever anyone talks about anyone else's personality, my brain almost automatically switches to thinking about neurology.

Well, thanks again.

7. Guild McCommunist

May 6, 2009
    United States
    The Danger Zone

[​IMG]

...So basically you can't enjoy character shows because you're too busy thinking about science during them?

That's like saying I can't watch the Lion King without thinking about the anatomy of lions hence the Lion King is ruined for me.

8. Wolvenreign
    OP

Jul 7, 2008
    United States
    Indianapolis, IN
    I know it's weird, and I'm not saying the show is bad because of MY habits. It's just something that happens because of my way of thinking. Hell, I can barely stand talking to people any more because of it. Ah well. Such is life, I guess.

Edit: Oh, and I guess a more accurate analogy of my way of breaking things down for Lion King would go a little more like this. "I can't really enjoy Lion King because all I'm thinking about the whole time is what elements are derived from The Hero's Journey and why humans tell the stories that they do." Again, the anecdotes that the system creates always make me think about the system rather than the anecdote. I guess that's just how I am.

9. BORTZ

BORTZ Don't pretend you aren't impressed

Supervisor
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    Its way better written that some run of the mill crime show.

10. Wolvenreign
    OP

Jul 7, 2008
    United States
    Indianapolis, IN
    I'm sure it is. (No sarcasm.)

Honestly, this habit of mine is ruining pretty much every show but gaming for me, because with gaming I'm interacting with things, which soaks up more of my attention than my abject boredom with personal drama. Hence why I don't usually pick up TV shows. =P

11. Cartmanuk

Cartmanuk GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 20, 2010
    [​IMG]
    I love Breaking bad It has a very high rating, but its not for everyone.​

12. ShadowSoldier

ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Oct 8, 2009
    Canada
    Oooh, Oooh, I finally get to use this!

[​IMG]

Seriously, just watch the show. Basically you're coming off as a mindless tool who can't appreciate good TV because it isn't all about "BANG BANGS" and cop chases and explosions. If you stick with it, at the end of season 4 you'll be rewarded.

13. Wolvenreign
    OP

Jul 7, 2008
    United States
    Indianapolis, IN
    Well, Shadow, it's not so much about explosions or cop chases, but what I look for in a crime drama is something more akin to the Death Note series, where it's all about the main protagonist outwitting the world around him.

Nah, I think I've had enough of a taste of this show to see where it's going. Appreciate the advice, though.

14. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey

You goofed, dude.

15. Wolvenreign
    OP

Jul 7, 2008
    United States
    Indianapolis, IN
    Eh, I'm not trying to make a big point or sweeping claim about what everything should be. I was just talking about my personal taste. I just don't care much for character-driven stuff, period.

Yeah, I like Death Note. It was well-written and very focused on the mental chess.

To each his own. *shrugs*

16. ThatDudeWithTheFood

ThatDudeWithTheFood TRIANGLEZ

Mar 9, 2009
    United States
    Illuminati
    Don't drop the show until you finish at least the first 2 seasons.
    Just because you don't like most character driven dramas doesn't mean you won't enjoy any of them.
    Breaking Bad has some mental chess stuff in it later in the series if that's what appeals to you.

17. hisagishi

hisagishi GBAtemp Regular

Feb 22, 2013
    United States
    I watched the entire show. Was it good? Well, it was decent. The writing was good, the acting was spectacular, I don't really know why I didn't enjoy it more than I did. In terms of who has the more badass main character, yeah deathnote and code geass win. Though those shows are far from perfect I still enjoy them more. That being said its a completely different genre and film type altogether. I will say this. Its one of the best shows on american television.

Not everyone likes dramas. I don't really care for them. As such Heroes and misfits are also higher up on my list of shows I enjoy. This isn't because breaking bad is a bad show, its just not a genre I care for. Get what I am saying?

18. Wolvenreign
    OP

Jul 7, 2008
    United States
    Indianapolis, IN
    Yeah, I pretty much agree with you, Hisagishi.

Basically, this is what happened. I came into the show thinking it might be a slow boil-up to the real action, but it turns out to be a drama through and through, and I don't terribly like dramas.

/thread

19. Guild McCommunist

May 6, 2009
    United States
    The Danger Zone
    I don't know why we are comparing Death Note/Code Geass to Breaking Bad because they're absolutely nothing alike.

Also none of the protagonists are really "badass", they're generally just terrible narcissistic human beings whose lust for power overtakes their morals or any semblance of humanity they had.

Breaking Bad is also not some weaboo wankfest.

20. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    If nothing else this thread has convinced me I have no need to go back and finish/properly start Death Note. I do really need catch up with breaking bad though.