Does Boot to slot 2 ruins Commercial Game Catridges?

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by XtremeCore, Jul 13, 2012.

1. XtremeCore
    OP

Member XtremeCore GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Hi all,

I got a R4 Clone (r4sdhc.com) awhile back and back then I did not know a single shit about flashcarts and flashme and passme etc. So back then, I thought the boot to slot 2 option on my R4 SDHC just means boot from slot 2 and had no idea that it actually acts as a NoPass. So I used the boot from slot 2 function of the R4 SDHC to launch my (authentic) game catridges such as Kirby's Amazing Mirror, Pokemon Emerald etc since R4 skips the main DS menu where you get to choose where to boot from.

However, only now did I learn that the boot from slot 2 is to act as a NoPass for gba flash carts. From the Acekard Reviews I've read, I quote
    However, I've been running my gba game catridges using the boot to slot-2 function from my R4 SDHC. So I wonder if my cartridges have been damaged because of this. Also, I don't quite understand "This will allow you to boot any slot-2 flashcart in DS mode". Isn't slot 2 always booted as GBA mode? If I were to boot my authentic gba cartridges from slot 2 using the boot to slot 2 function, does it mean that my GBA game is being booted as DS mode? Will that damage the cartridge?

Thank you in advance for clearing my doubts. Praying that no harm is done to my gba cartridges though ... :rolleyes:

P/S: Why isn't there an option to edit my post title? A glaring grammatical error up there.

2. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    http://www.pocketheaven.com/ph/wiki/index.php?title=PassMe

it boots what is in slot2. if its a flash kit running a .nds rom then it will allow that rom to run from slot-2 instead of slot-1. if it is a gba game cart then the gba game will simply run.

it shouldn't do anything to your actual carts.

-another world

3. XtremeCore
    OP

Member XtremeCore GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Ah glad to hear that. Thanks for clearing that up :)

Was so paranoid that I thought I almost lost my 8 years worth of collection.