Gaming Does anyone who accessed online deserve the ban?

Do you think everyone who got banned deserve it?

• Yes, they all deserve it

Votes: 33 31.1%
  • No, no one deserves it

Votes: 33 31.1%
  • Only rom/cia users deserve it

Votes: 38 35.8%
  • Only cart users deserve it

Votes: 2 1.9%

• Total voters

kae5738

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Prior release date obviously. I've seen this topic come up on multiple communities so might as well ask here too.

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I believe Nintendo has the right to ban pirates off their online services and that they probably should be doing just that to protect their interests. People with legit copies of games however should not get banned and if such a thing happened then that's just incredibly poor taste from Nintendo's side.

If they don't want anyone to go online before the retail date then they can easily deny traffic to their servers before that date or even limit it to known IP blocks with specifically allowed testers.

Punishing

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis
People who went online with a rom/cia before release deserve a S/M permanent ban. Anything more than that is unfair and ridiculous. Locking people out of their legitimately bought products and features is bad and borderline illegal (in some jurisdictions it actually is). The fact that Nintendo chose the nuclear option to deal with something as minor as this shows just how out of touch they are with the community and at some point this will only blow up in their face.

Yes, going online with a pirated version of a game before release is monumentally stupid, but Nintendo shows that they're just as stupid with this kind of retaliation.

Last edited by Punishing,

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
i mean, we all know what we're doing here, tbh.
so yeah, for most of the things almost this entire community does actually deserve to be banned from nintendos services and probably even more than that.

its the risk that comes with the terrain.

however, at least to a certain degree, nintendo has been fucking it up here.
its very much obvious they were laying a kind of trap here, with them specifically telling reviewers not to use the online services, they were banking on an early leak and wanted to deal out just punishment for once. and they had all the right to do that. they absolutely have all the right to detect cfw and ban everyone they find using it. i mean, its really crazy that they can't detect it in any way till now.

but they punished or will yet punish anyone who got online early, no matter if they bought the game and it was delivered early like on amazon or by vendors breaking streetdate. so those people were fucked not by a mistake they made, knowing that banning was a justified possibility, but by the vendors and nintendo.
those people did absolutely not deserve the ban. most of those know nothing of cfw or even the exact release date or that it could lead to them losing all online services.

even worse, they apparently didn't instruct their hotline people right either, since we've had multiple people on there claim one could only connect to the server if they used unauthorized code.
unless the not yet opened regional servers were supposed to block access and our cfw with its region free patches somehow patched us through to the next-best out of region servers that we weren't supposed to reach normally (which sounds somewhat farfetched). they just didn't explain them what really was going on here, namely that pretty much no one should have been able to connect to the servers with a digital version UNLESS they used unauthorized code on their consoles. and that people with the cart bought, no matter from where, would of course also be able to connect to those trap servers

yeah. absolutely, everyone playing the leaks has no reason to complain about a permaban. everyone who got a real cart early got screwed over and probably should at least consider something like a group-lawsuit

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

If they don't want anyone to go online before the retail date then they can easily deny traffic to their servers before that date or even limit it to known IP blocks with specifically allowed testers.

well, they clearly wanted the wrong people to connect.

its just that they thought that delivery companies and vendors to sell on release date and not earlier.

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
100% yes. Regardless of morals, you don't need to be a genius to understand that you're setting off a huge red flag on yourself by going online with a pirated copy at a time when there's no legitimate way of getting the game.

D

Deleted-19228

100% yes. Regardless of morals, you don't need to be a genius to understand that you're setting off a huge red flag on yourself by going online with a pirated copy at a time when there's no legitimate way of getting the game.

Off topic but since when are we allowed to advertise our Youtube/Twitch channels? Thought that was looked down upon.

Temarile

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧ A9LH ✧゚・: *ヽ(◕ヮ◕ヽ)
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

Some people got the legitimate cart delivered to them early, by amazon ect. Do you still think it is fair for people who get their cart early to get banned?

divertidus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I am not banned and I have played the leak version (WIFI ON, Didnt play online), but I will buy the game. So I would not want get a ban when I just tried game

anonynom

Punchyleaf
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep. If you pirated it, you deserve it no matter what.

If you are a reviewer and still went online after Nintendo clearly said not to, you deserve it. Though not permanently at least.

sonic1000

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What game are we talking about, Pokémon Sun and Moon?

Yes, if you didn't play the game and go online legitimately, I think you deserved it.

Last edited by sonic1000,

kae5738

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
I'm actually surprised that a third of the voters think no one deserves a ban despite the majority of them were playing an illegal dump lol

shadowfocus603

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have seen a lot of people defending legit users who got their carts early but my question is has there been even a single report of a legit user getting the ban? I have been watching this whole thing unfold across several media and have seen no reports at all of early arrival cart players getting dinged. Searching brings up the same kind of posts where people claim it but I have yet to see a single substantiated claim. As far as who deserved it I think the question is moot. Clearly anyone who decided to go online with a leaked game (cia/rom) deserve what they were dealt without question. Setting aside the moral argument, it's just bad practice. And someone tried to make the argument that Nintendo couldn't have made the distinction between review copies vs leaked version (at least by their twisted logic) let's stop and speculate how many review copies went out. ~100? ~250? Either way, when literally thousands of players started going online, Nintendo clearly knew something was up. Another thing that shot red flags is when people who were going online were doing so with digital installed versions which should not have even existed. TL;DR anyone who went online with the leaked copies deserve what they got. If anyone got banned for using a legit copy that was delivered early, they did not deserve it and should have their cases reviewed on an individual basis.

with them specifically telling reviewers not to use the online services
Can you post sources for this? More out of curiosity rather than being contradictory

An added thought on this to sum it up. Even if it is shown Nintendo set up a honeypot for this exact purpose, at the end of the day it is their property and right to do as they please. Assuming no legitimate players were penalized, I feel (and hope) Nintendo made a solid point to everyone. If you grab a tiger by the tail, be prepared for the consequences.

Last edited by shadowfocus603,

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I have seen a lot of people defending legit users who got their carts early but my question is has there been even a single report of a legit user getting the ban? I have been watching this whole thing unfold across several media and have seen no reports at all of early arrival cart players getting dinged. As far as who deserved it I think the question is moot. Clearly anyone who decided to go online with a leaked game (cia/rom) deserve what they were dealt without question. Setting aside the moral argument, it's just bad practice. And someone tried to make the argument that Nintendo couldn't have made the distinction between review copies vs leaked version (at least by their twisted logic) let's stop and speculate how many review copies went out. ~100? ~250? Either way, when literally thousands of players started going online, Nintendo clearly knew something was up. Another thing that shot red flags is when people who were going online were doing so with digital installed versions which should not have even existed. TL;DR anyone who went online with the leaked copies deserve what they got. If anyone got banned for using a legit copy that was delivered early, they did not deserve it and should have their cases reviewed on an individual basis.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Can you post sources for this? More out of curiosity rather than being contradictory

don't have a source, just know i've read it multiple times on reddit, gamefaqs and here.

also, multiple people have whined on here telling their story of how they called nintendo and even wanted to send them pics of cart and sales slip

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Off topic but since when are we allowed to advertise our Youtube/Twitch channels? Thought that was looked down upon.
As far as I'm aware, it's only disallowed in terms of posting threads and such. I've had my Twitch and YouTube channels in my sig for probably 3 years by now and I've never had any issues from it.
Besides, I haven't streamed on Twitch in ages :ph34r:

Some people got the legitimate cart delivered to them early, by amazon ect. Do you still think it is fair for people who get their cart early to get banned?
Pretty sure the people who received theirs directly from Nintendo were warned not to go online...
Aside from that, people who managed to get themselves banned with a legit copy should be able to get their situation corrected by contacting Nintendo's customer service. I know it's a bit of an inconvenience, but I wouldn't really consider it a real ban.
Another thing to mention is that playing before release date is technically against the rules, but it should be the responsibility of the seller who broke the rules in the first place, rather than the player.

Last edited by YayMii,
Reactions: Subtle Demise
D

Deleted User

Well we need to consider the reason people pirate to begin with.Its mainly so we don't end up with anoughter "nomanssky" and so people can try before they buy since we have shady reviewers who get payed to say a game is good.Now back to the question.....Did people deserve the ban?....Mabe,but that's because they where asking for it by going online early,which is equivalent to breaking into a store.So what happens when you get caught? Your banned.....Same idea.

Last edited by ,

shadowfocus603

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
don't have a source, just know i've read it multiple times on reddit, gamefaqs and here.

also, multiple people have whined on here telling their story of how they called Nintendo and even wanted to send them pics of cart and sales slip
See that's the problem I have. I have seen all the same comments. Anyone care to provide a screen shot of an email or some other conclusive proof someone/anyone was told not to go online be it reviewers or someone who got their copy early? I'm the type of person that can't stand the "I read it on the internet so it must be true" thing. Not saying that's where you are coming from, just in general. This whole topic has become an emotional watershed especially in cases where people refuse to accept they did something wrong/against rules/etc. I'd like to see some cold hard facts injected into the conversation to finally settle it as much as possible once and for all.

As far as the "try before you buy" argument, I think that can't really be applied here due to the fact that we had the demo well ahead of time.

Last edited by shadowfocus603,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Did you pee in the water