Gaming Does anyone like ZombiU, and if yes, then why?

WiiCube_2013

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
I've got it laying there because it came with my Wii U, and I have tried out the game but honestly didn't really enjoy it at all and seemed pretty 'meh' to say the least. It's probably better than The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct but that's not saying much about it either.

Roberuiza

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I recently got the game, digitally for 20$
I´m not really a gamer that enjoys zombi horror survival games (I usually have dreams about them). But this one really got to me, it creates enough tension to keep me hooked up. And the concept of changing survivors makes you appreciate each try even more. But for me the game isn´t worth more than 20$

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Got it for 5€, wanted to try it out. I'm not a fan of this kind of genre, but I've played scary games before such as Amnesia on PC. I didn't like ZombiU, though. Sold it for 2€. Could've bought food at McDonald's for the money, which in itself is more horrifying than the game. Lol.

Looking forward to that Fatal Frame game. Could be the first horror game I end up liking

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I bought it at full price and the only thing I don't like is that unlike other wiiu games, this one dropped in price radically. But the game itself is pretty solid. The level of immersion the gamepad offers is something you don't see in other games, and that's all because it makes very good use of the different screens. From taking items out of your inventory to checking the map to scanning the environment: there's plenty of things that make you look away from the main screen, and that's a tense moment in itself. There's the Alien-like motion radar (who mostly picks up moving rats and ravens), the lack of decent ammo and weapons, and the brutal difficulty to kill more than a single zombie without taking a scratch. I admit I haven't played that much rogue-likes, but I really wish more of those games have you play as a different protagonist each time. It makes trying to stay alive a lot more rewarding (perhaps even more because on your next run, you have to find said person and kill him/her to get your gear back).

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Got it for 5€, wanted to try it out. I'm not a fan of this kind of genre, but I've played scary games before such as Amnesia on PC. I didn't like ZombiU, though. Sold it for 2€. Could've bought food at McDonald's for the money, which in itself is more horrifying than the game. Lol.

Looking forward to that Fatal Frame game. Could be the first horror game I end up liking
Ditto. Bought it new for 5 euros and haven't gotten around to play it yet.. Interesting game and an exclusive nevertheless.

Terenigma

Terenigma everywhere
Trophies
XP
Country
I love the game, i think people judge it WAY too harshly for things it doesnt do more than what it does do.

- It is realistic survival horror. It would of been nice to have some variety on the melee weapons for sure but the gun selection and rate of which you get ammo and items is perfect to keep the game tense all the way through and actually makes you think about how you will tackle a situation.

- It is immersive, before you get to a certain point in the game. you have to Beep the wii-u pad to scan the area to look for zombies and the wii-u's radar/map and checking the pad to get items is great because it distracts you from the main screen and if a zombie were to sneak up on you. It catches you off-guard and maybe scares you and costs you a life (or the whole run if you play survival mode)

- Perfect difficult. The game is not difficult if you take it slow and catuiously but if you and take on 3 or more zombies with nothing but a handgun then 90% of the time you WILL die. If you take the time to pick off 1 zombie at a time or distract them with flares and pick them off from a distance, you will probably never be hit. The game doesnt try to be hard, it is only made harder by your choices of how to tackle the game. (Which is great!)

- It IS scary. Some people have different scare levels but i garentee that at some point in this game you will trigger something or do something that will catch you off-guard. Maybe a zombie playing dead that doesnt show up on the radar or one of the many scripted enemy spawns. It WILL make you panic and if you dont think the game is tense on normal mode because you can die as many times as you want. Try playing survival mode and tell me it isnt tense.

- The multiplayer is really REALLY fun and the gamepad part of the multiplayer appeals to everyone, not just hardcore gamers like the "shooting" part of the multiplayer does.

Overall i thought the game was great, i thought it was a perfect starting block that could of spawned a superb sequel but ofcourse people judge it based on trailers and previews which (for obvious reasons) cant really convey the "immersion" level that game gives.

Reactions: The Catboy

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Got it for 5 bucks,

Love the grittynesss, and God, it's hard as nails. ( actually you can make it as hard as you like , in the way you play it, playstyle...)
For what it's worth, this is probably as close to the "real"thing if it were to happen for real that is.
Also do not approach this game as a fps of some sorts, because it is'nt.
It's first person "end of civilisation" simulator.
FIGHT, FIGHT! OR YOU WILL DIE.
EVEN IF YOU TRY YOUR HARDEST , YOU DIE.
Still it's probably one of those games you either hate or love/like.
I love it, because it got my heart pumping.
It's that tense if you open up to the gam, and let yourself immerse to the game.
At least it's original.
It sits in my collection for that reason mainly.

Probably not

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Probably not
So you write lots of things about what makes ZombiU a game you keep in your collection, but you end up saying it's something that one can either love or hate. What makes you think I'll probably not end up liking the upcoming Fatal Frame game? Because I didn't like ZombiU? Not getting under your skin here, just trying to find out if you know something I don't. All I know about the Fatal Frame game is that Tecmo Koei is making it. And though I don't play FPS games and gave ZombiU and honest shot, I didn't like it. Judging from YouTube videos of previous Fatal Frame games though, it seems like something I'd get a kick out of. Definitely looking forward to it!

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rented ZombiU on Christmas when I couldn't get my "included" Zelda game to download. It was fun, what I saw of it. If I found it for cheap I might buy it.

The first Resident Evil is more fun to play than Zombie U.

'Nuff said!

An all time classic is more fun? NO WAY! Next you'll be saying that Super Mario World is more fun than New Super Mario Bros.

chavosaur

Chavo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's an absolute load of crap and I'm upset I can't even sell it for less then $10 anymore.
Besides the fact that the melee is horrible and the game is so dreary and irritatingly designed, it's as bland as any other zombie shooter out there.

Reactions: EZ-Megaman

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I liked the game because I actually enjoyed playing it. With the market so saturated with Zombie games, it's been a very long time since I've actually played one I enjoyed.
Was it a perfect game? Not really, but it was still enjoyable to me.

Reactions: Hielkenator

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
So you write lots of things about what makes ZombiU a game you keep in your collection, but you end up saying it's something that one can either love or hate. What makes you think I'll probably not end up liking the upcoming Fatal Frame game? Because I didn't like ZombiU? Not getting under your skin here, just trying to find out if you know something I don't. All I know about the Fatal Frame game is that Tecmo Koei is making it. And though I don't play FPS games and gave ZombiU and honest shot, I didn't like it. Judging from YouTube videos of previous Fatal Frame games though, it seems like something I'd get a kick out of. Definitely looking forward to it!

There are 2 fatal frame games available on Wii, I played and finished them both. Also played the Playstation iterations (crimson butterfly) a long time ago.
If you are interested in eastern mythologies, Crime novels and supernaturall story's, you might be able to "get in" Fatal Frame.
As far as gameplay goes, I'd say that FF is a lot less "frantic".
Overall they are slow paced survival horror games, but the horror part is far fetched if you ask me.
The game is some somewhat linear and consist primarely out of finding ways to progress in the game.
( get a key for that door, take a picture a that ghost etc.) All in a very very slow manner.
70% of the game consist of reading clues and documents that make up the story.
Also the game has no Humor, opposed to Zombi U.

ZombiU is a lot more tactical and if used the right way the game rewards you for you it, greatly.
In terms of "feel" I think both games are similar.
There is a feeling of solitude.

I think the setting of Zombi U is a lot better ( FF takes place mainly in one building )
it's relavely dark, but that is to expect withn these kind of games.
In all honesty the FF games felt like "been there, done that" in a way to me.
Downside of that is that you feel some sort of comfort in the games.
( if you played resident evil and similar you know what I mean)
This is not the feeling you should have with these kind of games if you ask me.
You should feel as uncomfortly as possible in survival horror games..

In Zombu U, you do not have any comfort.
So in that regard ZU gets to the essence.
You have no other option than to "survive" not as a person/hero but for survival of humanity.
Like a gory B Movie that's the backbone of the story.

The story is FF is a lot more "delicate". and polished.
You can see the production value.
If the atmosphere grasps you if FF, you are in for a treat.
If you never played the FFrame games, i suggest you try them on Wii.
The background an story are worth it alone.

In all regards Zombi U should'nt be seen as a Zombi shooter, because it's not.
Pay it slow, very slow and you will succeed.
You will never beat the game by running or going head first into bashing zombi skulls.
You will have to learn how to beat the Zombi's and once you know how, the game gets a bit repetitve about half way the game.
It would be nice to have had some sort of variation in weaponery, agreed.
Still the game managed to built up tension by putting you in a tuff spot almost right from the beginning af the game.

Both games are slow paced but ZU is alot more immersive to me.
So both are similar and both are not so similar...

But seeing the overall goal of the games ( hardcore survival ), you probably will not enjoy both.
They will make you feel uncomfortly, but that's the point of these games.
They will both frustrate at some point. It might come down to, in having no in game progress for hours in some occasions.
After all they fall into the same "genre"

assassinz

Visoly 512 Flash Advance Linker Xtreme Master!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rented ZombiU on Christmas when I couldn't get my "included" Zelda game to download. It was fun, what I saw of it. If I found it for cheap I might buy it.

An all time classic is more fun? NO WAY! Next you'll be saying that Super Mario World is more fun than New Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario World is more fun than ANY game created!!!

Just kidding.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: If you want a good system to port it to, at least have a good programmer and knowledge.