Does anyone know what fender stratocaster guitars have the scalloped fret board/neck?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by jimmyleen, Jan 9, 2017.

1. jimmyleen
    OP

jimmyleen GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 28, 2016
    I am new to buying guitars and so I am looking to buy fender stratocaster guitars that are scalloped. Unfortunately on Fenders website they do a crappy job of explaining which of their guitars have this feature. For some reason fender only has Yngwie Malmsteen Stratocaster listed as having a scalloped fret board, and the fender modshop doesn't give people the option to choose a scalloped neck.

Edit: I don't want to buy that kind of guitar because I'm fan of Malmsteen (even though I am), its because I have played using some one else's guitars with scalloped fret boards and I love it!.

Last edited by jimmyleen, Jan 9, 2017
  2. 'Don

'Don Man in a Box

Dec 31, 2015
    Jamaica
    Hemshof
  3. CTurt

CTurt Advanced Member

May 3, 2015
    I recently acquired a Malmsteen strat, and would definitely recommend it!

4. jimmyleen
    OP

jimmyleen GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 28, 2016
    CTurt and 'Don do y'all happen to know if every shredding guitar is scalloped?

5. 'Don

'Don Man in a Box

Dec 31, 2015
    Jamaica
    Hemshof
    You can also shred with a normal unscalloped guitar, even with a normal strat if you would like to.

6. CTurt

CTurt Advanced Member

May 3, 2015
    Scalloping isn't really to make shredding easier. I would say the main benefit is increased control for vibrato and bends due to the decreased resistance from the lack of fret board directly beneath your fingers; in fact, it actually makes shredding harder unless you have developed a very delicate technique, Malmsteen-esque.

'Don likes this.