Does anyone know the exact frequency the Gamepad uses please?

steve_fox

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I starting to love you Man 😅😅, you explained a lot of details that I read in the past , and read all together in your post I start to be so excited. You have right about 5.8GHz , because I remember almost of the amplifier for Drones, cars etc.... Was at 5.8GHz and not compatible with the Wii U , so it's difficult to find at 5GHz compatible with the Wii U, and last time I took the picture of this product from Edup and look to the adapter from the Wii U board connector to the AMP connector as well, because after reading a lot about the antennas and amplifier I arrive to the point that this product from Edup was the most nice for the mod that I was looking for....

Now a lot of details of antenna, I'm not so expert of it, but I was thinking as soon The AMP can cover the 5GHz signal compatible with 802.11n, i believe should be fine. It's like to amplify the computer board WiFi from the computer laptop or Router. I was looking even something more crazy, the antenna 5GHz outdoor usually need it to amplify the indoor Router 5GHz signal at 802.11n or other ranges to extend outside the signal, this to be connected to the Wii U 😅 and reach the signal in any room of the house 😅😅.

Please if you have many staff like that, try to make some crazy test, because I'm really super interesting to make this Mod.
The amp you posted will work on the Wii U frequency wise, its the power level the Wii U puts out that needs to be checked, the permitted power level is 200mw across most of the band, there are parts of the band that allow 1w but the Wii isnt doing that obviously but 200mw is allowed and so its potentially putting that out which would fry an amp!

CrisMod

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The amp you posted will work on the Wii U frequency wise, its the power level the Wii U puts out that needs to be checked, the permitted power level is 200mw across most of the band, there are parts of the band that allow 1w but the Wii isnt doing that obviously but 200mw is allowed and so its potentially putting that out which would fry an amp!
But you think that the little board of Wii U will fry the AMP? I don't believe that this little board can fry something that should be supported for device a bit more powerful than the Wii U board....may I mistake to think like that?

CrisMod

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Also on the module (on below picture) I found these two connector of the motherboard , should be connected both and goes to the same 1 connector AMP or its need it only one? And how to call the cable adapter from the board connector to the AMP connector?

Attachments

• IMG_20220204_020051.jpg
    IMG_20220204_020051.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 40

steve_fox

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Also on the module (on below picture) I found these two connector of the motherboard , should be connected both and goes to the same 1 connector AMP or its need it only one? And how to call the cable adapter from the board connector to the AMP connector?

The module has two antenna connectors because its running diversity, one connector is for the horizontally polarized antenna and one for the vertically polarized one.

Yes, it potentially outputs more than 100mw and needs the output power confirming, if its outputting the permitted 200mw then it would kill an amp!

steve_fox

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
stripped my Wii U down today and im mean a complete stripdown, literally nothing is left intact to get at the RF modules only for me to discover that my RP-SMA pigtails are too short to reach the back of the console where i wanted to install :(

I have 20cm and they need to be 25cm or more because of routing, i dont want to install in the top of the body.

CrisMod

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
stripped my Wii U down today and im mean a complete stripdown, literally nothing is left intact to get at the RF modules only for me to discover that my RP-SMA pigtails are too short to reach the back of the console where i wanted to install :(

I have 20cm and they need to be 25cm or more because of routing, i dont want to install in the top of the body.
But to test the the new antenna system you can test even with the console "naked"/without shell, right?

steve_fox

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
But to test the the new antenna system you can test even with the console "naked"/without shell, right?
without the Disk drive it wont boot, the front panel ribbon cable is also pretty fragile so you have to be very careful, with access to the underside you have all the securing hardware for the heatsink removed as well although its pretty secure and isnt coming off unless you try but heat may change that as it softens things.

With the case off the cmos battery needs to be taped to the board contacts, without it present the console crashes.

really, for a accurate result the console needs to be assembled as well, you wont be able to position the antenna with it flapping in the wind and without the massive amounts of shielding present that the console uses, RF reflections will be different.

On a positive note, the ribbon cable connectors in the console are some of the most robust and best designed i have ever seen and not something you are afraid of breaking!

steve_fox

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Got 25cm RP-SMA pigtails on order, will be while though as they are coming from China, was tempted to order 30cm as well in case they are still not long enough but other than in this i have no use for pigtails that long and ill wait to see if the 25cm are long enough, i think they will be.

Reactions: CrisMod

steve_fox

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
the broadcom chip is 802.11n certified. it MUST conform to the standard or it couldn't get certification. It's also Miracast tech as well. They conform to 802.11n too.

I can't see how it would be legal to be out of the specs and be sold in the USA at least if not everywhere in the world.
My suspicions were right, its NOT using the miracast standard and is using a custom implementation.

Hardware with conformity to a standard does not have to operate within that standard providing it operates within wider standards.

Here is what the game pad uses from one of the team who developed the gamepad emulator:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-secrets-of-the-wii-u-gamepad

Last edited by steve_fox,
Reactions: CrisMod

CrisMod

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Anyone has got any news about this experiment to extend the Wii U range? Please, share any experience, I would like to turn it back on this topic to understand if we can use some external Amplified Antenna by electricity plug wall to extend the range of the Wii U WiFi. @steve_fox, since that time was disappeared for some reason.

glugglug

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it possible to make the Wii and gamepad think they are in Korea for the purpose of choosing a gamepad frequency? In the US there are essentially 2 channels 80MHz wide 5GHz can be used with (an upper group of 5 channels and a lower group of 4), because the center 8 channels of the 5GHz range are reserved for doppler radar.

In South Korea and some African countries this is not the case, and all 17 5GHz WiFi channels are available. Many routers can be flashed with firmware for other regions to enable this. Can the Wii do it, and still be able to use US region games?

Last edited by glugglug,

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Can confirm the system uses entirely stock 5GHz WiFi (on the RF level at least, the higher layers are mildly custom), and will scan for and find the least congested frequency within the usual regulatory requirements for 5GHz
These regulatory requirements are important. For example for PAL consoes this means the console won't use DFS channels, reducing the possibly used channels to just 4 (the U-NII-1 band, so channels 36, 40, 44 and 48).

thats a 700mhz range and antennas need to be tuned to the frequency they are being used on!
700 MHz are nothing (we have 160 MHz wide channels on the 5 GHz band) and we normally just tune to the center frequency, so 5.5 GHz in your example.

In the US there are essentially 2 channels 80MHz wide 5GHz can be used
The Wii U doesn't use 80 MHz wide channels but just 20 MHz.

glugglug

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
These regulatory requirements are important. For example for PAL consoes this means the console won't use DFS channels, reducing the possibly used channels to just 4 (the U-NII-1 band, so channels 36, 40, 44 and 48).

700 MHz are nothing (we have 160 MHz wide channels on the 5 GHz band) and we normally just tune to the center frequency, so 5.5 GHz in your example.

The Wii U doesn't use 80 MHz wide channels but just 20 MHz.
Right, but if your routers are configured to use the 80Mhz, (a) there has to be some interference for any more than 2 AP and (b), the chance of the gamepad not overlapping with you or your neighbors AP spectrum is slim to none, due to it only taking 2 AP to cover nearly all available US 5GHz spectrum.

I'm seeing speed tests from my laptop drop from ~800 Mbps to ~125Mbps when the gamepad is active since for some reason it's choosing to overlap my router rather than the neighbors. I suppose I could change the router to a 40Mhz channel, or have it explicitly use the same spectrum as the neighbors instead of auto...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Ohkay