Does anyone know if there's any issue with playing decrypted ROMs with GW, especially online?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Blueie, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Blueie
    OP

Blueie GBAtemp Regular

Apr 30, 2013
    Argentina
    Is GW able to run decrypted ROMs without issues? Does anyone know if it causes any problems, such as increasing the chances of getting banned if you play online with them?

Thank you.

2. Giodude

Giodude GBAtemp's official rock

GBAtemp Patron
    Giodude is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    May 17, 2015
    United States
    New York
    For gateway, you need to have a private header to play games online. I would highly suggest ditching gateway for a conventional cfw such as luma and only using it for certain cheats, but otherwise you would need a private header to play gateway games online.

3. Blueie
    OP

Blueie GBAtemp Regular

Apr 30, 2013
    Argentina
    I already have a private header to inject, I just need to know if it's safe to use decrypted ROMs online.

As for switching to CFW, maybe someday, when it offers enough advantages. I've considered it in the past but I figured that since my current GW setup lets me play all games, there's no need to switch to CFW and risk bricking my system in the process.

4. mikey420

mikey420 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 11, 2015
    United States
    Yes... I'm pretty sure gateway only supports encrypted roms and plus playing online requires a private header. You'd be far better of ditching the gateway card for a free DRM free CFW. Use 3ds.guide to install CFW and look into freeshop to easily obtain your games.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Also gateway is a dangerously outdated CFW that could easily brick your device if you accidently update the system firmware.

Giodude likes this.
  5. Giodude

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    May 17, 2015
    United States
    New York
    ^

6. Blueie
    OP

Blueie GBAtemp Regular

Apr 30, 2013
    Argentina
    Thank you. Can somebody else confirm this?

Does a CFW let you use your microSD with your installed games on two separate systems?

Last edited by Blueie, Feb 13, 2018
  7. Giodude

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    May 17, 2015
    United States
    New York
    Good point. Well technically you could if you restored one console's nand backup and restoring it on the other (though you would need to decrypt it first with the 1st console's otp.bin). Gateway is a better option, but you could also just install the games on both and use jksm to transfer the save files.

8. aos10

aos10 how i fotochop?

Apr 10, 2012
    Saudi Arabia
    keep using GW if you like, but for online it's easier to use .cia games for online games.

now days GW is harder to install, CFW is very easy, and has many advantage like DS and GBA games, plus they are easy to update unlink GW which till now does not support native 11.6 update.
    and for cheats, NTR now support AR cheats which they works just like GW cheats, you can search for values like cheat engine, and many people offer updated plugins for cheats, the only advantage for GW is ability to run .3DS game on separate SD card, and you can't use cheats on your physical games AFAIK.

you could make dual boot system, emunand for GW and sysnand for luma.

Last edited by aos10, Feb 13, 2018
    Giodude likes this.
  9. Technicmaster0

Technicmaster0 GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 22, 2011
    Gambia, The
    Gateway supports decrypted and encrypted roms. Online shouldn't be a problem with either of them.

10. evandixon

evandixon PMD Researcher

May 29, 2009
    United States
    Gateway only works with encrypted ROMs. They can, however, be encrypted with a 0-key.

mikey420 likes this.
  11. mikey420

mikey420 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 11, 2015
    United States
    That's what I thought

12. Zyvyn

Zyvyn GBAtemp Fan

Aug 9, 2017
    United States
    theres basically no risk unless you do something stupid and dont follow the guide