Homebrew Does anyone know if its possible to run ds game on the cia version of retroarch?

ric.

Drivin' to meme country
Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
If we get the source code of a flashcart's firmware and DLDI for 3ds...
Can we theoretically load ds games from SD?
No. It's a lot more complicated than that and AFAIK talented devs have already tried something to no avail.

Deleted member 333767

Trophies
XP
It was a Dstwo through gba temps butt-buddy site. Supposedly the "best" at the time. It's gone missing now.

Well, if it was a legit DS-Two, then the price is justified, because it's a quality card with it's own standalone CPU for SNES and GBA emulation.

If you want a basic card that can achieve DS emulation in sysNAND or emuNAND, my R4 SDHC Dual Core 2014 (clone card) cost me less than $5 AUD and i bought it in a physical walk-in shop in Thailand :D Last time i checked, it was still being updated, too.

LoganK93

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, if it was a legit DS-Two, then the price is justified, because it's a quality card with it's own standalone CPU for SNES and GBA emulation.

If you want a basic card that can achieve DS emulation in sysNAND or emuNAND, my R4 SDHC Dual Core 2014 (clone card) cost me less than $5 AUD and i bought it in a physical walk-in shop in Thailand :D Last time i checked, it was still being updated, too.
It was a legit dstwo, and the one that actually worked was good. I had an r4 before that but it whitescreened a few games I wanted to play. I guess I don't see why the argument to just buy a flashcard exists. Obviously the people asking for home menu DS loading want just that. If I wanted another piece of iffy Chinese hardware after a month or two of waiting I'd have done it. Why bother with emunand? Between a Sky and a DSTwo you could do almost all the same stuff.

NekoMichi

Retro Collector
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
DS emulation isn't likely to happen for 3DS. Remember, running a DS cart is completely different to emulating a DS ROM. The former uses the hardware directly while the latter uses software to simulate hardware, that's why reading DS games off the on-board SD card is nowhere near as straightforward as playing games directly through the card slot.

That's why just because the 3DS can play DS carts natively it doesn't mean it can handle DS emulation.

Last edited by NekoMichi,

dubbz82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DS emulation isn't likely to happen for 3DS. Remember, running a DS cart is completely different to emulating a DS ROM. The former uses the hardware directly while the latter uses software to simulate hardware, that's why reading DS games off the on-board SD card is nowhere near as straightforward as playing games directly through the card slot.

That's why just because the 3DS can play DS carts natively it doesn't mean it can handle DS emulation.

n3ds might be able to, but it'd be very borderline, i think.

Why bother with emunand? Between a Sky and a DSTwo you could do almost all the same stuff.

Better question would be why sink money into a solution that allows you to do ALMOST all the same stuff that the (outside of a souped up SD card) free solution allows you to?

LoganK93

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
n3ds might be able to, but it'd be very borderline, i think.

Better question would be why sink money into a solution that allows you to do ALMOST all the same stuff that the (outside of a souped up SD card) free solution allows you to?
I was poking at the point that everyone makes regarding just buying a flashcart. A lot of people like to have an all inclusive setup. I personally haven't used a cartridge at all on my 3ds in nearly a year. My SD card contains nes, SNES, GB/c, GBA, 3ds, etc. Having my DS library on the same cart is appealing, unlike my current situation in which I lost the cart in a move, and now I have nothing.

It's why I loved the Wii. I have literally every game from nes on up (once again no DS obviously) all on one convenient hard drive. And back in the day I heard many similar things. "You can't run gc from USB, quit asking." "Just go buy the discs, they're cheap." "It runs totally differently. The Wii can't load it from a USB because GC hardware is different." Then boom: Dios Mios became a thing, then Devolution, and finally Nintendont. So I mean someday someone's bound to try.

Edit: My post about why not Sky was mostly sarcasm. It's the same principle: a cartridge exists that can do most of what we can for free so why did anyone bother. Not everyone wants to send their credit card number to a Chinese garage either.

Last edited by LoganK93,
Reactions: Deleted User

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Do you dangle a baggie in front of them, like a carrot?
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    they're the same thing
    +1
    i like that idea
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the same thing?
    +1
    before or after a hit
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nah, a hit gives them mad meth powers, but makes them more difficult to control.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before a hit they're like zombies, persistent but slow.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a tradeoff.
    +1
    no i mean, before a hit is after the previous hit
    +1
    if you keep them well enough fed, it's the same thing
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Guys, I just learned my little brother is in the hospital because he had a seizure last night.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Sorry to hear that BakerMan
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Just found out he's doing alright, doing a lot of complaining too, rightfully so. Who wouldn't complain after having a seizure and being hospitalized?
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah been there had that no fun
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    I hope it's not a week.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's standard so doctors can get a idea about what's going on
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    understood
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    well, i'm glad he seems to be doing fine, and ig i'm going to start spewing goofy shit again
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Update: Turns out he's epileptic
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Get a 2nd opinion run mris etc they told me that also
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Get a 2nd opinion run mris etc they told me that also