Hardware Does anyone know if it's even possible to repair a New Nintendo 2DS XL Micro SD Card slot...?

SithLord

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
or replace a faulty slot with a new one?

I just bought a for parts New Nintendo 2DS XL system at a bargain at a retro store and so far, it has only two issues. A faulty battery pack(that causes the system to constantly shut off on its own or not power on properly) and a faulty micro SD card slot. I have no issues with replacing the battery on my own but the problem is the micro SD card slot. Whenever I insert a micro sd card into the slot, it feels like something is preventing the micro SD card from being inserted all the way(as if someone spilled a very tiny drop of glue or something sticky inside the slot and let it dry up inside) and then I turn on the system to verify that it doesn't detect it.

Is it possible to even repair the micro SD card slot on your own or am I just gonna have to suck it up with an irreplaceable faulty part?

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Open up the N2DSXL carefully. Pay attention to the volume slider. It is easy to break off the notch of the internal slider (guess why I know this). Separating the case halves can be tedious.

Maybe you can find a small piece of junk inside once the console is open and remove it with tweezers -- that would be the good and easy case. But what I suspect is the spring mechanism inside is bent/defective. No idea how to repair this -- if even possible. Maybe you can arrange an SD inside in a way that is makes reliable contact and lock it into position if the pins inside aren't bent.

Unfortunately the SD-reader is soldered onto the motherboard -- unlike on the N3DS(XL) models were replacing it is a piece of cake. I have no idea if it is a standard part and/or if suitable replacements are readily available. You will need soldering experience with tiny points for attempting this repair. I would try a hot air station for desoldering the old part.

2DSXL_SD_Reader.jpg

Good luck!

Last edited by KleinesSinchen,
Reactions: IC_
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • kenenthk @ kenenthk:
    Lol AHS is getting funny two dudes and two girls get pregnant
    Gift
  • Toastee_ @ Toastee_:
    Whats AHS?
    Gift
  • gudenau @ gudenau:
    What are you supposed to do when you have a thousand dollar piece of hardware that won't work because the API the manufacturer provided doesn't want to work?
    Gift
  • kenenthk @ kenenthk:
    Ebay
    Gift
  • gudenau @ gudenau:
    Oh great.
    Gift
  • gudenau @ gudenau:
    It's a Linux bug.
    Gift
  • gudenau @ gudenau:
    Well a bug with their Linux drivers or something.
    Gift
  • gudenau @ gudenau:
    It captures 2x the amount of packets on Windows 10 in a freaking VM where USB access is slower/more latent.
    Gift
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    what is this piece of hardware @gudenau
    Gift
  • gudenau @ gudenau:
    Beagle 480
    Gift
  • T-hug @ T-hug:
    Dune 2021 1080p HDRip X264 AC3-EVO
    Gift
  • kenenthk @ kenenthk:
    Dune? Reminds me of seeing my ex naked
    Gift
  • mr_switch @ mr_switch:
    Oh yeah Dune movie is out, watching it later
    Gift
  • mr_switch @ mr_switch:
    Here is hoping 2022 is a good year for DC cinematic universe
    Gift
  • gudenau @ gudenau:
    Honestly don't really know what Dune is.
    Gift
  • gudenau @ gudenau:
    Anyone here know much about Jetbrains InteliJ Idea?
    Gift
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Oh, T-hug was here :blink:
    Gift
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Hey, where the admins at? Come in the chat. I got a idea. How bout a Sound notification or something when someone tags you in chat? :ninja:
    Gift
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    Post it in the v8 feedback thread
    Gift
  • Gift
  • OzKenny1983 @ OzKenny1983:
    Post what sorry? I'm guessing we were talking about this ages ago, but I haven't been on GBATemp in almost a year so my memory is failing me :-/
    Gift
    feedback and or bugs that may have popped up since the migration to XenForo 2!
    Gift
    Umm...I think you might have the wrong person, since that may as well have been written in Chinese. I have nothing to do with the management of this site, nor have I ever been involved. I'm just a member, and hardly even qualify as that...like I said my last post was almost a year ago lol
    Gift
    Lol no, Sonic Angel Knight had an idea, best would be to post it in that thread haha
    Gift
    Sorry, don't know Sonic Angel Knight either...
    Gift
    OzKenny1983 @ OzKenny1983: Sorry, don't know Sonic Angel Knight either...