Does anyone have a MiSTER FPGA?

playstays_shun

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just got my DE10 nano and USB Hub, waiting on my 128MB SDRAM and heatsink/fan kit, and 256gb microSD but

Super excited for this one! seems like emulation on crack with real time chip emu, and super impressive results, tons of developer love, and constant support/cores being added

playstays_shun

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It looks good, I'm more interested in the N64 FPGA project though. That's the one console I'm the most nostalgic for.

why not just get a real 64 and everdrive? the lower end everdrive64's aren't that much

I wouldn't recommend it either, since I like supporting Krikzz and would gladly pay more for guaranteed quality... but the clones are even cheaper.

I feel like 64 and Saturn will be some of the more complicated systems to clone or do FPGA emulation with

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
why not just get a real 64 and everdrive? the lower end everdrive64's aren't that much

I wouldn't recommend it either, since I like supporting Krikzz and would gladly pay more for guaranteed quality... but the clones are even cheaper.

I feel like 64 and Saturn will be some of the more complicated systems to clone or do FPGA emulation with
I have a real 64. Then I'd have to get an UltraHDMI mod, plus an EverDrive, and that's more money than i can justify spending and I don't even know how hard the UltraHDMI install is. Also I don't really have room to keep it hooked up, a more compact FPGA version would take up less room.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,
Reactions: cearp

playstays_shun

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a real 64. Then I'd have to get an UltraHDMI mod, plus an EverDrive, and that's more money than i can justify spending and I don't even know how hard the UltraHDMI install is. Also I don't really have room to keep it hooked up, a more compact FPGA version would take up less room.

Fair point on UltraHDMI

I dunno though, even though I've seen the results and they seem great if 64 is your favorite system I wouldn't invest in it either.

The graphics are jank by nature, can only polish a turd so much even turning off anti aliasing and other hardware processing magic.

DCHDMI/now called DCDigtial on the other hand... incredible. Dreamcast graphics still hold up well imo for 20 years old

I guess this is becoming a sought after trend across the board though, and I could see it, like PSDigital looks pretty neat. I guess I discriminate against 64 graphically more than other digital conversion projects out there.

I dont think its a big deal or horrible route to go something like retrotink for all but your favorite system.. if thats 64 then fair enough.

Last edited by playstays_shun,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Fair point on UltraHDMI

I dunno though, even though I've seen the results and they seem great if 64 is your favorite system I wouldn't invest in it either.

The graphics are jank by nature, can only polish a turd so much even turning off anti aliasing and other hardware processing magic.

DCHDMI/now called DCDigtial on the other hand... incredible. Dreamcast graphics still hold up well imo for 20 years old
I am hoping maybe the FPGA project will be able to render at a higher resolution, since it's capable of more raw power than the original console. Remains to be seen though. N64 emulation is still buggy though, so FPGA might be the way to go.

Reactions: Pokemon_Tea_Sea_Jee

Pokemon_Tea_Sea_Jee

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

ubernoobNTH

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

You don't need UltraHDMI, that's a waste of money anyways on a 64. Just get a RetroTink or something similar, it has the added bonus of working with anything that uses composite video. I just bought an 8-in-1-out RCA switcher so I don't have to keep switching my RetroTink 2X (I don't have the newest variant of it, can't speak to that one. It came out shortly after I ordered mine) between consoles. Works on any of the old RCA devices I hook up to it.

Not to talk you out of FPGA devices, they're great. I almost pulled the trigger on a MiSTer last night but I need to do more research on them to see what parts I want to order for myself.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
You don't need UltraHDMI, that's a waste of money anyways on a 64. Just get a RetroTink or something similar, it has the added bonus of working with anything that uses composite video. I just bought an 8-in-1-out RCA switcher so I don't have to keep switching my RetroTink 2X (I don't have the newest variant of it, can't speak to that one. It came out shortly after I ordered mine) between consoles. Works on any of the old RCA devices I hook up to it.

Not to talk you out of FPGA devices, they're great. I almost pulled the trigger on a MiSTer last night but I need to do more research on them to see what parts I want to order for myself.
Not good enough. I can't deal with that blur filter. If my retro gaming setup isn't better than emulation, I'm just going to stick with emulation.
If I had room I could just get a nice CRT and be done with it. Maybe one day...

ubernoobNTH

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not good enough. I can't deal with that blur filter. If my retro gaming setup isn't better than emulation, I'm just going to stick with emulation.
If I had room I could just get a nice CRT and be done with it. Maybe one day...

The filter is optional, same as ultraHDMIs. The only downside to it I've found is it needing power, so it eats up the USB slot on my TV.

You can just choose straight line doubling mode.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, N64 on real console video output is a huge mess. Two types of video filters... part hardware, part software. I was blown away after seeing it look so clean on virtual console for wii u. But I guess back in 1997 when we still had CRT and RF/composite video, this made sense. What is with nintendo and all their weird video out issues? Not to mention they had that same A/V Composite cable from snes all the way to like... wii I think. Nintendo was always ahead of things with graphics and visual, but lack video out compared to sega systems. :blink:

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
The filter is optional, same as ultraHDMIs. The only downside to it I've found is it needing power, so it eats up the USB slot on my TV.

You can just choose straight line doubling mode.
You misunderstand me. The N64 has a hardware blur filter that cannot be disabled. The UltraHDMI is the only thing that gets rid of it, by reversing it. It's not as good as not having it at all judging from comparisons, but it's close. And it's a night and day difference. So any other solutions for N64 HDMI are shit by comparison.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

ubernoobNTH

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You misunderstand me. The N64 has a hardware blur filter that cannot be disabled. The UltraHDMI is the only thing that gets rid of it, by reversing it. It's not as good as not having it at all judging from comparisons, but it's close. And it's a night and day difference. So any other solutions for N64 HDMI are shit by comparison.

Ah yeah, my bad.

N64 is gonna look like shit no matter how you play it, I prefer sticking to original style here. To each their own.

playstays_shun

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
im glad to go a bit off topic but this thread has been 98% N64, can we get back to MiSTER chat?

haha

im also surprised there aren't more threads about it considering its a lot of peoples go to for multi-console love.

especially since Neo Geo hardware is prohibitively expensive, for example

Daggot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i hope a good hobbyist will make new top quality crts for us to buy
Sadly all of the factories that made them shut down. The tooling for producing new Cathode Ray Tubes was all sold off, mothballed semi permanently or scrapped for parts. It would cost an astronomical amount of money to reequip a factory with the needed tooling to produce CRTs again. Even in China where "new" CRTs are still being produced(these CRTs are of very low quality) these "new" CRTs are produced from a stockpile of new old stock cathode ray rubes and other parts that were left over after production of them stopped. These are of course a finite resource. If you're thinking of gaming in a possible future where CRTs become rare the future you would have more luck investing in an OLED TV and an OSSC/Retrotink.

Reactions: Borgman2018

playstays_shun

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so I got my MiSTER + 128MB SDRAM + 256GB microSD

Holy frigging crap. HDL emulation is an absolute game changer.

if the cores out there interest anyone, I cant recommend this highly enough. What a mind blowing solution and I dont say that all too often

wezlyons

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Been contemplating getting a Mister for a while.
I've got a Super NT, Mega SG and Retrousb AVS so i know how impressive FPGA is when it comes to replicating old machines.

The only problem I can see (for me personally) is that I'd probably spend more time messing about tweaking stuff than I would actually playing games.
I've been down that route before with a raspberry pi, infinite number of games and systems but spend all my time tinkering in the settings.

Reactions: playstays_shun

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'm telling