x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually,school is a good thing,english is nice to learn and math also,so but for example nobody needs art,because a art teacher is always rating your work in his opinion,not in yours.
You can always say that it was modern art,so art is pretty much a waste of time.
But your art teachers can help you learn technical skills, like how to properly shade, or make a drawing anatomically correct.

And if it's 3d art, they can teach you how to use a kiln etc.

MuratTemp

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
But your art teachers can help you learn technical skills, like how to properly shade, or make a drawing anatomically correct.

And if it's 3d art, they can teach you how to use a kiln etc.
Yeah,but only in the higher classes,for exemple in the 8th grade,we are learning absoluteky NOTHING,but I still agree with you :)

Reactions: x65943

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah,but only in the higher classes,for exemple in the 8th grade,we are learning absoluteky NOTHING,but I still agree with you :)
I had the same thing in the 8th grade. We just drew stuff for an hour with no direction.

The thing is, to really teach an art (drawing, piano, etc) you have to have one on one teaching. Which just isn't feasible with modern class sizes.

MuratTemp

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I had the same thing in the 8th grade. We just drew stuff for an hour with no direction.

The thing is, to really teach an art (drawing, piano, etc) you have to have one on one teaching. Which just isn't feasible with modern class sizes.
Yes :)

Reactions: x65943

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
You don't have to rely on teachers to teach you stuff. If they are crappy then study the textbook, preferably with a few friends tutorial-style. Each take a few problems to do at night and study them hard and know how to do them inside out then teach your friends how to do them the next day, and they'll teach you the problems they studied. You can never really learn anything until you try to explain it to someone else.
This is in maths class, but in others, find out about the topic independently of school (go to the library, browse the net, etc) and prepare some really difficult questions for the teacher and ask them in front of all the class. Either the teacher will splutter and stammer because they don't know and it's great fun to make the teacher embarrassed (especially if you don't like them), or they will be able to answer, you'll learn something interesting, gain the teacher's respect and they'll give you proper attention from then on. (Eg in year 8 when we were learning about atoms in science class I asked why don't the electrons experience centripetal force and fly off [we had been learning about basic rotational physics before this]. The teacher had to go and research a good age-appropriate answer for me and come back the next day but I got some respect from her after that)

Bad schools and bad teachers are no excuse for finishing school yet remaining a dimwit. The only person that can learn for you is you. You'll only be a dimwit if you don't take the time now to be curious and learn.

Also if you are going on to university you need to learn how to work hard right now or you will struggle, even if you're very smart. You can't succeed unless you learn how to work.

Last edited by Quantumcat,
Reactions: VinsCool

invaderyoyo

invader
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You don't have to rely on teachers to teach you stuff. If they are crappy then study the textbook, preferably with a few friends tutorial-style. Each take a few problems to do at night and study them hard and know how to do them inside out then teach your friends how to do them the next day, and they'll teach you the problems they studied. You can never really learn anything until you try to explain it to someone else.
This is in maths class, but in others, find out about the topic independently of school (go to the library, browse the net, etc) and prepare some really difficult questions for the teacher and ask them in front of all the class. Either the teacher will splutter and stammer because they don't know and it's great fun to make the teacher embarrassed (especially if you don't like them), or they will be able to answer, you'll learn something interesting, gain the teacher's respect and they'll give you proper attention from then on. (Eg in year 8 when we were learning about atoms in science class I asked why don't the electrons experience centripetal force and fly off [we had been learning about basic rotational physics before this]. The teacher had to go and research a good age-appropriate answer for me and come back the next day but I got some respect from her after that)

Bad schools and bad teachers are no excuse for finishing school yet remaining a dimwit. The only person that can learn for you is you. You'll only be a dimwit if you don't take the time now to be curious and learn.

Also if you are going on to university you need to learn how to work hard right now or you will struggle, even if you're very smart. You can't succeed unless you learn how to work.

What actually happens, most of the time, when you ask a hard question that the teacher doesn't know is that the teacher says they're not going that deep in the class and moves right on.

This would happen all the time in my Chem class in High School. You can't really blame them either. The way it's set up today, they're given a set amount of time to cover each topic and going off on a tangent means sacrificng time for a required topic.

I think the best way to learn is to try to actually be interested. For me Math and pretty much any science are interesting, but I don't like history or writing.

Reactions: Quantumcat
D

Deleted User

I'ts my last year in high school before college, and I can honestly say I'm getting sick of school.

The time I spend on schoolwork is time I'd rather spend learning a new programming language (which pertains to my major!) or reading up on how to write mods (or shitposting, but you get the point).

The thing is, I think most of us here are self-driven, i.e. we learn better by ourselves, doing things we want to do, and in school, you're force-fed topics you couldn't care less about.

Reactions: Quantumcat and Sono

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
I'ts my last year in high school before college, and I can honestly say I'm getting sick of school.

The time I spend on schoolwork is time I'd rather spend learning a new programming language (which pertains to my major!) or reading up on how to write mods (or shitposting, but you get the point).

The thing is, I think most of us here are self-driven, i.e. we learn better by ourselves, doing things we want to do, and in school, you're force-fed topics you couldn't care less about.
You sound like you'll do pretty well at uni :-) Good luck for next year!

Reactions: Deleted User

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

eof

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Brb