Does anyone else think the item balance is terrible in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe?

Discussion in 'Switch - Games & Content' started by Velanator, May 24, 2017.

?

Do you think the items are balanced?

1. Yes

50.0%
  2. Maybe

25.0%
  3. No

27.5%
  4. HELL NO!!

12.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Velanator
    OP

Velanator Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 27, 2017
    United States
    So I've been playing online for about a day now got myself up to 2000 already and I pretty much completed everything I just need some few car parts and the golden glider which will come in time. The problem is that the item balance in multiplayer is even worse now than it was on WiiU! Thanks to Nintendo's bright ideas, we now have to deal with 2x the unbalanced items being thrown at me constantly! It's bullshit! What ever happened to the time where it actually takes skill, not luck to get first place. If you get first place then you should feel like the luckiest person alive. I get hit so many times to the point where I sometimes get last place because of all the red shells, star hits, bullet hits, and fire Flowers. And there's this bull shit where people get flowers and stars in second and third place like WTF?! I'm here in dead last with only a banana.. How is that balanced? I don't even aim for first place anymore because if I do, thats when I begin to get hit even more. In one of my recent matches I was on rainbow road and I get hit with 2 star players, a bullet bill, 2 red shells, an incoming blueshell making its way to the first place guy then I fall.. and get hit about 2 more times by green shells and the funny part about this is that I was in one spot, I literally couldn't move because of all the items being thrown at me. Nintendo needs to rebalanced this shit because it's damn near unplayable now.

2. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    hehe it was bad in the wiiu now with 2 items i can just imagine how worse it would be :P

3. Hanafuda

Hanafuda GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Nov 21, 2005
    United States
    出る釘は打たれる.

4. linuxares

linuxares GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 5, 2007
    It's so much fun! Except when my bloody girlfriend get's first a triple redshell and then a extra redshell on the other slot... It hurt. A lot....

5. Memoir

Memoir A Hero to Zero

GBAtemp Patron
    Memoir is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Wyoming
    It's pretty terrible and takes away the individual skills... Which can be good and bad... Mostly bad.

Bladexdsl likes this.
  6. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    yep the reason i stopped playing this it relies more on item spam and no actual racing skill. no matter how good or fast you are item spam will always ruin it for you mainly in the form of a fucking blue shell :glare:

7. MeowMeowMeow

MeowMeowMeow GBAtemp Regular

Apr 1, 2016
    Netherlands
    Yeah its terrible, being 1st place for 3 rounds and last 30secs, 1 blue shell, a red shell, star hit ending up 8th place....

thanks satan

Subtle Demise and Bladexdsl like this.
  8. HaloEliteLegend

HaloEliteLegend ~Apprentice Game Designer~

Oct 17, 2015
    United States
    Seattle, WA
    This completely aggravated me on Wii U. I can only imagine how painful it must be on the Switch, now that you can hold two items at once. There should really be an "invincibility period" after you get hit so that you don't repeatedly get smashed by an onslaught of rogue power-ups. I had to stop playing so many times because my blood kept boiling. UNIMAGINABLE PAIN. Nintendo, PLEASE balance these items!

Tomy Sakazaki and Bladexdsl like this.
  9. Saiyan Lusitano

Saiyan Lusitano GBAtemp Guru

Oct 29, 2015
    Sweden
    It's mostly balanced but the issue I have with it is Boo stealing the items. To counter that, you can just hold a coin but then doing so it's just as if you only have 1 item available.

10. ElijahZAwesome

ElijahZAwesome GBATemp's official... uh... uhhhhhhhhhhhh

Jul 12, 2016
    United States
    Narnia
    Well the red shells have definitely been a giant pain for me. Not so much everything else. Just look at the map and pull a switcharoo if you see a blue shell. (Go in reverse so the shell hits someone else)

Saiyan Lusitano likes this.
  11. leonmagnus99

leonmagnus99 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 2, 2013
    Seinegald
    i agree, but it is what it is :l

12. Jonna

Jonna Some sort of musician.

May 15, 2015
    Canada
    Canada
    It's been like this since the first game on SNES. I remember lots of times holding first place, only to have a red shell thrown at me right before crossing the line and being third.

The only game this wasn't as big of an issue was Mario Kart DS, and that's because I abused the hell out of "snaking," and it allowed you a slight window of opportunity to dodge the blue shell and I became quite good at it.

StarTrekVoyager likes this.
  13. Saiyan Lusitano

Oct 29, 2015
    Sweden
    With the 200cc mode the previous Mario Kart games just feel drastically too slow for me. Mario Kart DS used to be pretty amazing.

14. Jonna

May 15, 2015
    Canada
    Canada
    I don't dare try that mode yet.

15. StarTrekVoyager

StarTrekVoyager Soon™

Jun 19, 2016
    France
    Paris
    That's called Mario Kart. In Mario Kart 8, the distance-based item distribution made the game more strategic, and balanced. I suggest you to git gud, because this only ressembles to "I lost, so it's da gamez fault". Even if you're last, there's someone who arrives first.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

And actually, MK8 Deluxe is the first time where you cannot abuse the game's engine to get ""good"". There was MKDD's A-tech, MKDS's snaking, MKWii's broken air physics and bikes, MK7's broken offroad stats and Metal Mario, MK8's fire hopping and demon sliding.

Kikirini, XRaTiX and Jonna like this.
  16. Saiyan Lusitano

Oct 29, 2015
    Sweden
    You can't avoid it on online mode. :P

17. Jonna

May 15, 2015
    Canada
    Canada
    Woah what

I haven't gone online with this game in race mode yet. It's forced?

18. StarTrekVoyager

StarTrekVoyager Soon™

Jun 19, 2016
    France
    Paris
    Oh, and here's something: you might not know that contrary to Mario Kart Wii and 7, where the item probabilities were determined by your place, in MK8 theu are determined by your distance from the first place. While it's not perfect, I think it's far better since it re-balances the game when the 1st takes too much lead. That's also part of the strategy in competitive Online MK8. If you don't want the 2nd place to get stars and bullet bills, you better not overlap him :P

https://www.mariowiki.com/Mario_Kart_8_item_probability_distributions

19. Saiyan Lusitano

Oct 29, 2015
    Sweden
    The online mode offers different racing speeds and even mirrored mode for everyone.

100cc
    150cc Normal
    150cc Mirrored
    200cc

Just be glad Nintendo wasn't stupid enough to include 50cc in there too. xD

20. Eurasiam

Eurasiam GBAtemp Regular

Sep 11, 2009
    United States
    Thats....actually very interesting. Wow. I didn't know this.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.