Not Dead Yet
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do I miss the "Old 'temp"?
Yeah, you better believe I do.

I miss the days when I had nothing to do other than fuck with people in the EoF.
I miss the old IPB format that I knew well and grew to love.
I miss the old people we rarely see anymore: TrolleyDave, Toni Plutonij, WildWon: People who I became close friends with, but we seem to have parted ways.

For the first point: I brought that on myself by volunteering to try and help a site I love so well.
The second: We had No choice. We had to evolve, or remain susceptible to the very same attacks that took us down.
Third: Life gets in the way. People change, and grow, and part.

So of course I'm nostalgic for the environment this used to be.
But that isn't to say that we as a community can't make this a great place yet again.

There is incredible potential here.
What we need is for You to step up and do your part to make us better,
rather than falling into the "hurr durr trollin iz fun" trap.
We need people willing to share the news they find.
We need people who share the ideas they have.
We need people to contribute their time translating the games that will never be localized.
And more than anything else we need people who can disagree with others without resorting to personal insults.
Because that is not the way to grow and expand this community.

We have to work together,
because separately we are mere drops that never reach the bucket.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
Do I miss the "Old 'temp"?
Yeah, you better believe I do.

I miss the days when I had nothing to do other than fuck with people in the EoF.
I miss the old IPB format that I knew well and grew to love.
I miss the old people we rarely see anymore: TrolleyDave, Toni Plutonij, WildWon: People who I became close friends with, but we seem to have parted ways.

For the first point: I brought that on myself by volunteering to try and help a site I love so well.
The second: We had No choice. We had to evolve, or remain susceptible to the very same attacks that took us down.
Third: Life gets in the way. People change, and grow, and part.

So of course I'm nostalgic for the environment this used to be.
But that isn't to say that we as a community can't make this a great place yet again.

There is incredible potential here.
What we need is for you to step up and do your part to make us better,
rather than falling into the "hurr durr trollin iz fun" trap.
We need people willing to share the news they find.
We need people who share the ideas they have.
We need people to contribute their time translating the games that will never be localized.
And more than anything else we need people who can disagree with others without resorting to personal insults.
Because that is not the way to grow and expand this community.

We have to work together,
because separately we are mere drops that never reach the bucket.

5xKWF.jpg

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I miss the old GBAtemp, too.
I miss the section which told you who was viewing the thread. I mean, all of my shitty threads were awesomely shitty, in the EoF, and I wanted it to get intense to see who was viewing the thread.
And Vulpie, I love sharing found news. :D

NES SNES V.B. N64 G.C. Wii WiiU

Now with extra redundancy!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I miss the section which told you who was viewing the thread. I mean, all of my shitty threads were awesomely shitty, in the EoF, and I wanted it to get intense to see who was viewing the thread.
Well, most people post useless shit in every thread they open now-a-days, so it's not a great loss. :P

LockeCole_101629

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I'm not sure, I am here just to enjoy the forum content, and it does what it does eversince the first time I check it (was long time ago), but it took me almost 5 years to register.
I didn't use the adds-on on most forums, so I don't care.

To make it short, Forum is about community to share their experience & stuff.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, I think there's nothing more toxic for a community than blinding nostalgia for the past. As soon as the discussion becomes entirely focused on the glory days of the past, people give up any hope or drive for the future.

That's not to say the present's perfect, or that the past didn't have its perks - but we should take off the rose tinted glasses.

Do you want a better temp? A smarter, more engaging community? More meaningful discussion? Then take charge; we can only build it one user at a time.

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Joined in 2009 as a horrible posting novice, and I still do. The first thing I do when I open Chrome?
Open Hotmail, Facebook, and the Temp.
I'm stealing your writing style Vulpes since it's more pleasing to the eyes then a wall of text.
Like a number of other people I want to be involved somehow with the community.
Free services there, giveaway there, etc. But I stand back, and ask myself. Why?
But that doesn't matter. Point is I don't see the point.
This is a nice diverse community of users, don't get me wrong.
But the constant bickering over stupid things. The repetition of stupid sayings.
Back in 09 I coded a little, or started to learn how to code. C++.
I think I'm going to go back to learning, but I can't do that with the Temp sucking most of the time.
Most of you are thinking "Her dur. Attention troll.", and if you actually knew me I'm not.
I'll be leaving after suspending some of the main threads I've made here.
I'll leave some contact information to those who I've grown found of.
Now, this doesn't mean I won't post from time to time. When I get free time.
With school, College planning, SAT and C++ learning I'll be busy.
This might give the community, or my perception of it to flourish into something else. (Ha, who am I kidding.)
This thread just happened to be a perfect place to put this post.
So if you need me, or whatever. Send me a PM, which sends me an email.
So I guess this is goodbye for now GBAtemp.

Darn it.
I just remembered.
I'll be back in a few weeks to finish up the Secret Santa event I created.
So uh, yeah.

Bonny

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Gbatemp.net was way better with the IPBoard Software. New Scene-Releases were on the Frontpage, the News were much better displayed, etc.

Now it's just a Forum. The XenForo-Software maybe more secure, but GbaTemp has lost much of it's charm. It's also fact that 3ds and WiiU are still not hacked and so there are not much Gaming News anymore.

NES SNES V.B. N64 G.C. Wii WiiU

Now with extra redundancy!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gbatemp.net was way better with the IPBoard Software. New Scene-Releases were on the Frontpage, the News were much better displayed, etc.

Now it's just a Forum. The XenForo-Software maybe more secure, but GbaTemp has lost much of it's charm. It's also fact that 3ds and WiiU are still not hacked and so there are not much Gaming News anymore.
While I agree, I also disagree. While I also believe that GBAtemp has lost part of its 'charm' with the latest changes, I still think it's a bit more than 'just a forum'. Put it this way; it's still the best forum I've been on...

Bonny

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Of course, it's still a very big community. But with the IPBoard-Software it was really unique. Now it has no special feeling anymore... at least for me. I never was a big writer here, but a reader. I'am visiting Gbatemp since 2007.

retrodoctor

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This place is like a breeding ground for 12 year olds. All you guys do is start shitty threads in the EOF, try and be witty, and try to 1UP each other when it comes to jokes. You guys are kids and you act as if your minds surpass each other's intellect. It's fucking ridiculous.

Watch, some guy is going to quote this, say he's 21, and ask me why I don't just stop coming here. So predictable, too.

Reactions: Deleted_171835

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Going.