Does anyone else do this?

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by awssk8er, Mar 27, 2010.

Mar 27, 2010

Does anyone else do this? by awssk8er at 9:20 PM (1,219 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. awssk8er
    OP

Member awssk8er GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Well, I've been downloading games for the DS since mid-2007 and the Wii since 2008, and I never bought games for either since, but kind of felt bad for not supporting developers.

The first game I decided to buy in a long time was Red Steel 2. I downloaded the early release to play it early, and almost finished the game before it even came out.

Then when it arrived on my door step, I had no purpose to open it. I would just finish the backup of the game I had. So now, I have a copy of Red Steel 2 in my closet un-opened. I've also ordered Galaxy 2 and Monster Hunter Tri, which I plan to do for these games.

Also, from what I understand, it's legal to download games, if you have the legit copy for it. Also, the HBC or flashcarts aren't illegal unless you use illegal games on them.

Well, anyway, games that I really want to support my developers for, I am going to buy the game from now on, and just never open it. So maybe it could be worth something in the far future. Also, this is all legal too.

So everyone wins. [​IMG] Except my wallet.

I was just wondering if anyone else does this?

2. ProtoKun7

Global Moderator ProtoKun7 GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 3

United Kingdom
    As far as I know, even in America you're only allowed to make a copy of what you have rather than getting someone else's copy.

Anyway, it's not the same, but for my DS, I buy my games, then I usually make a dump of them, so I can run it on my CycloDS, and if I want to use the retail version, I'll use my DSi.

I do use my CycloDS far more than my retail cards though. [​IMG]

We've both mentioned DS, so maybe this might fit in General Consoles Discussion.

3. syko5150

Member syko5150 GBAtemp Syko!

United States
    yes as protokun7 stated its only legal to have a copy of your games if you make a copy of your own game and you're only entitled to keep one copy...downloading the games is the same as stealing them regardless if you own the game or not...also i buy SOME games for Wii but it has to be something worth buying but the only DS games i own are the 2 Zelda games but both are still in box/shrink wrap never opened...i do however buy all my 360/PS3 games i have nearly 120 games from those combined.

4. awssk8er
    OP

United States
    Whatever. I'm still going to keep doing this, even if it is considered illegal.

Also, that's a great idea with your DS. One reason why I don't buy DS games anymore is because of having a million separate cartridges.

And yeah, I wasn't sure what forum this should go under. Thanks.

5. ProtoKun7

United Kingdom
    That doesn't mean make another thread though. [​IMG] If you want to, just let a moderator know that you'd like this thread moved.

6. awssk8er
    OP

United States
    Yeah, I'm not going to make another. It doesn't matter for me where it is.

If the mods have a problem with it, they could move it. It's up to them.

7. Am0s

Member Am0s Mojo Risin

United Kingdom
    I don't do that I just download my stuff, only point of keeping an un-opened wii game is to sell it later for maybe more money but that sort of thing doesnt hang onto any value for long, if it makes you feel better to support the companies then good for you, I don't really care for keeping original games, I only bought zelda for one reason, to fill that money pit we all call a wii hehe [​IMG]

8. ProtoKun7

United Kingdom
    Just making sure. [​IMG] I've seen people make duplicate threads before, so I was on the safe side.

I rarely use our Wii, but I'd buy the games we'd get for that too. If I ever do get any, then they'd probably be SMG and SMG2 as well as several others that have taken my interest.

9. Hells Malice

Member Hells Malice Are you a bully?

Canada
    Preordered Monster Hunter Tri?
    I'd only support it if they promise the next game would have gameplay mechanics that weren't a terrible disgrace to action RPGs.

I buy games to support 'em too. So far i've only ever bought Super Paper Mario, Brawl, and Tales of Symphonia: DotNW.
    Mighta forgot 1 or 2, but most Wii games really aren't worth paying money for.

10. Hezkore

Member Hezkore GBAtemp Regular

Sweden
    Heheh I do pretty much the same thing...
    I've bought a lot of Wii games and I knew right from the start that I wouldn't actually use the DVDs and only play the backups via some USB Loader, but I still buy games to support the developers!
    I'm madly in love with Monster Hunter so that's something I'm buying next month, I still know I won't actually use the original DVD though. [​IMG]