Does anybody know how to remove scratches from the Housing itself?

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by adrian2040, Feb 14, 2012.

1. adrian2040
    OP

Member adrian2040 GBAtemp Fan

Peru
    My Nintendo 3DS fell on top of rocks and now its bottom surface has some wide scratches. Is there a way to remove those? Also, would polishing it affect the writing on the surface? (I've heard that WD-40 works, but I don't want to try it until I have further confirmation.)

Thanks in advanced.

2. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    ...WD-40 is a lubricant. Admittedly it's not reactive with plastics but all you'll ammount to is making the 3DS slippery and smelly (well, some people like the smell of WD-40 XD).

Polishing will *obviously* affect the state of the writing on the back.

All I can really think of is filling up the gaps with one of those car paint crayons you use when the paint cracks and you just want to cover it up, really. You have to take better care of your console - get a case. A nerf case at that, seeing that you seem to travel with it and drop it in the process. :P

3. rondoh70

Member rondoh70 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    i believe wd-40 fuses pvc

4. frogboy

Member frogboy lacking both style and grace

United States
    This x10. I can't even begin to state how useful it's been, and I've never gotten a single scratch/scuff/mark.

5. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    I believe I'm holding a can of WD-40 as we speak and it doesn't mention it. Upon closer inspection, all it does is make plastic greasy. It's a bad idea, if he really wants to polish the surface then he needs to get some low-grain plastic polish, similar to those used on plastic LCD displays. I believe Displex is a good brand.

6. adrian2040
    OP

Member adrian2040 GBAtemp Fan

Peru
    I just tried using a car paint crayon (To be specific, Fix it Pro) and it kind-of worked. It covered all of the scratches the rocks made on the bottom screen, but after an hour of letting it dry I cleaned it a bit with a microfiber cloth and the "Fix it Pro" substance just disappeared. Maybe I should have left it dry up longer.

7. JoostinOnline

Member JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

United States
    This won't remove the scratches, but it will hide them:
    http://s.dealextreme.com/search/3ds.html?category=633

Eventually 3DS replacement cases should be easy to find (that's how it's been with other systems), but a cover is a nice alternative. Besides, it will protect your 3DS from future scratches.

PS: If you get it from dealextreme, expect it to take a long time for the package to arrive. I'm talking a few weeks.

8. Janthran

Member Janthran Solarian

United States
    I heard that using a walnut works on furniture, maybe it works for 3DS too!

9. Raysoul

Newcomer Raysoul Member

Philippines
    Not quite sure, but I've heard of the toothpaste method for removing CD/DVD scratches.

10. dimmidice

Member dimmidice GBAtemp Maniac

Belgium
    i've heard that if you put semen into a women something quite amazing happens, worth a shot with the 3ds no?

-I am not liable for damage done to your system.-