Does anybody else think booking a Shinkansen ticket online is strange?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by leafeon34, Aug 25, 2018.

1. leafeon34
    OP

leafeon34 My profile picture is ugly

Sep 30, 2014
    Greece
    Elysium
    I'm trying to book a Shinkansen (high speed train in Japan) ticket. Normally when buying a transport ticket online you select a date, get shown a timetable then pick the time and seat that suits you. This website does things differently and seems quite bizarre to me. You select a time on the hour from 6am to 10pm but the train does not leave every hour. Right under the drop down menu it says "We will arrange the train departs closest to your selected time. [newline] If you have any specific train that you wish to take, please leave a message in the comment box shown after clicking [ADD TO CART] button below." I might have missed something but it seems like you can't actually view the timetable on this website.

For example: https://shinkansen-ticket.com/colle...nsenticket-tokyo-shinfuji?variant=16830576769

2. Hanafuda

Hanafuda GBAtemp Addict

Nov 21, 2005
    United States
    Are you in Japan now, or are you travelling to Japan? If you are travelling there, unless you expect to take the Shinkansen only one time, I'd recommend you look into buying a rail pass. It makes getting around while you're there much simpler, and also makes changing plans a non-issue. You can pm me if you want more info, but the short version is you buy the rail pass online for the time frame you need, they mail you a voucher, then at Narita Airport you redeem the voucher for the actual pass. You can use it right away to ride the Narita Express to Tokyo Station, and you'll have almost unlimited train riding covered for as long as the pass lasts (not just Shinkansen).

leafeon34 likes this.
  3. leafeon34
    OP

leafeon34 My profile picture is ugly

Sep 30, 2014
    Greece
    Elysium
    I found out about the rail pass a few hours before reading this and promptly ordered one. I'll be there soon enough.

Hanafuda likes this.