Gaming Does anybody else find it ironic Nintendo doesn't use the gamepad?

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First off, not trolling in the slightest here, I have a day 1 deluxe bundle that I am perfectly happy with, and I am looking forward to quite a few games coming out. But in looking over E3 news and then my existing games, something struck me - with the exception of Nintendo Land and Zelda WW, Nintendo games use the gamepad minimally. Don't get me wrong, off screen play is a wonderful feature I've used a bit, especially for NSMB U. And I also don't think something should be added just because it's there - I hated the stylus controls in DS Zelda and the motion controls in NSMB Wii and DKCR were pointless. But let us compare -

Nintendo
NSMB U - Lame Boost Mode nobody ever uses.
Pikmin 3 - Preferred control scheme by Nintendo itself is Wiimote/Nunchuk, according to numerous interviews
Smash Bros - Nothing we know of, confirmed no touch controls
Mario Kart - Nothing we know of besides gyro controls and probably map
Donkey Kong - Nothing we know of
Zelda WW - Map, Inventory

3rd Party
Batman - Inventory, Map, Sonar, Profiles, Scanning, Upgrades
Darksiders II - Inventory, Map, Waypoints, Upgrades, Objectives
Deus Ex - Inventory, Map, Hacking, Objectives
Ninja Gaiden - Moves list, upgrades
Skylanders - Objectives, Stats, Puzzles, Skystones
Rayman Legends - Various touchschreen levels, gyro
Zombii U - Inventory, Map, Scanning

It's sad when even old ports from other systems (Like Batman, which has amazing gamepad support in my eyes) use the gamepad seemingly better then Nintendo has so far. Even something as simple as just having the objectives always up in Skylanders is nice.

Reactions: yuyuyup

EzekielRage

Hero of the Void
Trophies
Website
www.void-comics.com
XP
Country
Australia
The Gamepad is a tool for developers. They can decide to use it or not. Easy as that. Nintendo made Nintendoland to show what you can do with the thing and the new Wario game to cement those ideas. Not every game needs to use it. Better than forced use like the waggle in most Wii games...

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Ryu And like I said, off screen play is a great feature. But there's so much more you can do with it, as evidenced by what we've seen in other games.

@Ezekiel I tottally agree it shouldn't be forced, and isn't needed in every game. But it's lack of inclusion for obvious things is baffling. Like NSMB U, they could have used it for a lot of things.

@Joostin Based on what we've seen on E3 and the games already out, that gives a preatty good basis.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm still going to be getting Mario, DK, etc. But it is still ironic in my eyes that other people use the pad better then Nintendo itself does.

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
"Nothing we know of" doesn't really count as a fair argument. All of those games are still subject to unannounced features. Also, I think it's more or less guaranteed MK8 will use the GamePad for map and possibly rear-view mirror, perhaps more. I wouldn't even be surprised if they released a clip-on plastic wheel to make a little more money. Feel free to add these to your list:

• Game and Wario: "features a collection of games that use only the GamePad controller"
  • Wii Fit U: Uses the GamePad controller for some activities
  • Wii U Party: Tabletop games that use the GamePad controller
Feel free to bring this up again when Nintendo have more than 2 full games available, though.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I could nuance the first post a bit, but I actually agree with it. On the wii, nintendo was doing all funky things with the controller while third party barely knew there was motion controls to begin with. On the wiiu, it's just nintendoland on first party that's truly being creative*, while third party is using scans, inventory management and more.

I don't think it's sad, though. NSMBU was obviously to show off off-screen play, and for all other titles released, I don't think it could have use the controller in a better way. And perhaps that's the better thing: most of their games aren't built on using two screens (yet). I have no doubt they'll come up with something at some point (if for nothing else: wiiware ports of DS games) but I'd rather not have another "how can we utilise the second screen BECAUSE IT'S THERE"-games right now (face it: in galaxy, spinning could just as well be a button, and collecting stars was also just added because there was a pointer on the thing).

*from what I've seen in one of those directs, pikmin could be very interesting. And of course game & wario and mario party will come up with stuff. But I'd rather not speculate on what isn't released yet.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It just goes to prove you don't HAVE to make use of the new control scheme. I think a lot of third parties got caught up in forcing motion controls into games on the Wii when a Gamecube controller or Classic controller would have been more ideal. Use the gamepad if it will enhance the experience, use other control schemes if they're a better fit.

elgarta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People complain that the early Wii titles focused too much on motion controls, the consoles main feature.

People complain that the Wii-U doesn't focus enough on touch-pad controls, the consoles main feature.

I can now understand why Nintendo plays it safe with their first party titles.

Warlord698

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if any real credit can be givin to the one pic floating around. looks like WW also have the GBA function that was in the original game using the game pad

TehCupcakes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo
NSMB U - Lame Boost Mode nobody ever uses.
Pikmin 3 - Preferred control scheme by Nintendo itself is Wiimote/Nunchuk, according to numerous interviews
Smash Bros - Nothing we know of, confirmed no touch controls
Mario Kart - Nothing we know of besides gyro controls and probably map
Donkey Kong - Nothing we know of
Zelda WW - Map, Inventory
Let's see, how many of those games are released? ...One? Your argument is invalid. Furthermore, I think the Mario Kart gyro controls and map fully qualifies as utilizing the gamepad. Anything else would seem pretty unnatural. I suppose you could trigger items by tapping the screen or something, but that still seems rather pointless. Wind Waker will most likely make use of it as well.

They shouldn't use gamepad gimmicks where they don't fit. I'm glad Nintendo isn't using Gamepad exclusive features with Smash Bros. because that would destroy multiplayer. And off-screen play is a legitimate feature, believe it or not. I think it would be amazing to have the power of a console which allows me to play every game in my hands. For some games this is more important than others, but I really would like there to be an option for an on-screen and off-screen play in most games - even if the off-screen controls area a bit more cumbersome.

if any real credit can be givin to the one pic floating around. looks like WW also have the GBA function that was in the original game using the game pad

The Nintendo Direct already talked about this. The GBA feature was removed, but was replaced with a "letter in a bottle" type of thing that goes to the Miiverse.

D

Deleted_171835

Well there is Nintendo Land. But I gotta admit it's kind of odd that the game that best showcases the Gamepad's potential is a third-party exclusive (ZombiU).

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
People complain that the early Wii titles focused too much on motion controls, the consoles main feature.

People complain that the Wii-U doesn't focus enough on touch-pad controls, the consoles main feature.

I can now understand why Nintendo plays it safe with their first party titles.
Thinking something is ironic isn't the same as complaining. I, for one, am glad that they didn't started with the 2nd screen and try to think of a way to make the game revolve around it. Of the released games, I can't think of any one where that second screen would have been better used.
(okay, AC3 could have made better use out of it. But that's not a first party title).

Memfis

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
For me it´s absolutly ok, that many games only show the same screen on tablet and TV. I mostly play in the bed before sleeping and use the tablet as a Game Boy and I love it. I dont want to use TV and tablet as a seperate screen, because for TV I need glasses, for tablet not. To look alternately on TV and tablet is not possible for me.

isaac52

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm glad it's not being shoehorned into games it has no business being in. I'm looking forward to using it with proper games, generally with lots of information/items to keep track of, or otherwise maintain.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Stop trolling in threads you think are useless. Just GTFO.
I'm not. If you look through the thread, many people share my feelings on it. The OP has no idea if the gamepad will be used on any of those games, with the exception of NSMB U (the only one that's released). His argument is based on ignorance.

Reactions: jonthedit

deshayzilla

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In the demo of Mario Kart 8 there was a big circle in the middle of the gamepad that effectively acted as a horn. That has to count for something :P.

Reactions: fossda

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's mostly the ones that are just pictures and no instructions at all