Hacking Dodgy saving just started happening with DS roms

rockwaldo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Very odd.

I have a M3 adapter jobby and a passme3. Up until the past few weeks, everything has been just dandy - the games all save correctly and everything.

However, lately, since upgrading to 0.29 perhaps, i cant be sure - some games simply arent behaving properly on save.

For example: Yoshi 2 pretty much only saves when it fancies it. If i complete some levels and then quit to menu (not even leaving the game) my progress simply hasnt been saved. However sometimes it does save them properly, and even if i switch my DS off for a few hours it still works fine.

Another one i have major problems with is Phoenix Wright 2. This saves ok usually, but every now and then i get a "saved failed" message, although if i try again straight away it works. Worst of all, i get the occasional "your load game was corrupt and has had to be deleted" - which really hurts as its a long old game to play through again and again.

So. First thoughts are battery in the m3 or version 0.29.

However, i have tried downgrading to 0.28 (both firmware and Game Manager), and it appeared to solve the problem at first, but no, its gone again.

Battery wise, it isnt saving properly without me even turning the power off (i.e quick reset or even in game with Yoshi as explained above).

so what is it? im going mad!

Shinji

҉҉ ҉҉
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
Have you been writing the games to the card the same way? Are you enabling soft reset (I personally dont use it...).

Now, in the Yoshi 2 problem you're having. You say when you save & quit (ingame), it doesnt save? Doesnt that sound like a game issue? Try writing the game over in Safe mode or use Force R/W.

As for the PW2 issue, I have never seen that problem, but I feel your pain
frown.gif

I'm waiting to see what tama_mog has to say about this, cause I'm stumped if those suggestions dont work...

rockwaldo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hmmm, thats the thing - the yoshi 2 game seems to simply save as you go, i.e as you complete each level it saves. Thats how it has sometimes worked anyway.

I always use the settings specified in the wiki as well, so force R/W was switched on for both games

a puzzler!

Shinji

҉҉ ҉҉
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
Indeed, I just took a break and played through some of Yosh. It saves after every level.
And in your case, after you complete the level, if you press B to go back to the main menu and go back into your file, it wont be where you were??

rockwaldo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indeed, I just took a break and played through some of Yosh. It saves after every level.Â
And in your case, after you complete the level, if you press B to go back to the main menu and go back into your file, it wont be where you were??

Exactly that. If i press B to go back to the main menu and look at the file the progress isnt saved.

very odd

tama_mog

Kupo
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I would check the card for corruption at this point and do a reformat of whatever format you're using and try again....backup your saves (if possible first of course). These things you've mentioned should never happen....it could also be wrong patching methods, follow the m3 wiki on www.m3wiki.com to patch your games. In addition, you could have a problem with the casing not lining up correctly causing the pcboard to not make good contact with the connectors in slot2....this will become more apparent as soon as you start getting errors writing to PSRAM messages. If that's the case you'd have to adjust the casing to make sure it fits tighter. Good luck.

rockwaldo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I would check the card for corruption at this point and do a reformat of whatever format you're using and try again....backup your saves (if possible first of course). These things you've mentioned should never happen....it could also be wrong patching methods, follow the m3 wiki on www.m3wiki.com to patch your games. In addition, you could have a problem with the casing not lining up correctly causing the pcboard to not make good contact with the connectors in slot2....this will become more apparent as soon as you start getting errors writing to PSRAM messages. If that's the case you'd have to adjust the casing to make sure it fits tighter. Good luck.

Thanks for the comments

Ive tried re-formatting the SD card many times, so i reckon thats in the clear.
I dont actually get any PSRAM messages, but i'l look into the lining up as you say.

I cant help thinking its a firmware and Game Manager problem

Ive played through the first 1 and a half cases in Phoenix Wright now 3 times and its getting very tiring!

tama_mog

Kupo
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I've never had a problem with v28 or v29 but you can try another version if you'd like for kicks. But I really haven't seen anyone report problems with these firmwares.

Tripp

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I've seen this problem myself...

v29 fast pro (Lexar 2 GB 80X) CF M3

It showed up wit MVDK (save file corrupt deleting... but not every time) and the new Kirby...

I had to back off on the read speeds from what the Wiki said...

i.e. 4X to 2X or even safe mode to get the saves dependable...

drove me crazy till I figured it out...
wacko.gif

Hope this helps...

rockwaldo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I've seen this problem myself...

v29 fast pro (Lexar 2 GB 80X) CF M3

It showed up wit MVDK (save file corrupt deleting... but not every time) and the new Kirby...

I had to back off on the read speeds from what the Wiki said...

i.e. 4X to 2X or even safe mode to get the saves dependable...

drove me crazy till I figured it out...
wacko.gif

Hope this helps...

Now thats a good idea! I'l try changing the speeds to a lower setting and see what happens.

thanks!

tama_mog

Kupo
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
the only way this could be an issue is SD card specific, aka there are speed deficiencies in the sd card you're using. Should feel free to update the m3wiki so others can learn from this and what card you're using.

Tripp

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
aaaaaaaaaaaand that seems to have fixed it!

who knew?

thanks! that was driving me nuts

Can you post the details on the exact make and model of SD card you are using? Just a hunch?

the only way this could be an issue is SD card specific, aka there are speed deficiencies in the sd card you're using.  Should feel free to update the m3wiki so others can learn from this and what card you're using.

Lexar Pro 80X WA 2GB CF

Ridata Pro 150X 4GB CF

Too fast maybe??

I was running 2 DS's with M3's with 2 of the Lexar's when I ran accross this issue. These are fast cards I also use in my D-70. I switched one Lexar for the Ridata which is supposed to be faster. Now some games which loaded at 4X on the Lexar only load at 1X on the Ridata.

Can there be such a thing as too fast???
wtf.gif

Any and all input would be great...

I maybe new here but...

Edit************************************************

Opps forgot (damm bourbon) the Ridata at 4X shows black screens that some M3 users have been complaining about in release posts...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM