Do you watch old TV shows more than new ones?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I tend to prefer newer ones, as they have higher production quality. The budgets for TV shows nowadays is insane. I have some older ones on my watchlist too that I'll need to get around to. Rather enjoyed Sliders which is an older scifi show, but it got a bit samey so I never finished it.

Reactions: Psionic Roshambo

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I tend to prefer newer ones, as they have higher production quality. The budgets for TV shows nowadays is insane. I have some older ones on my watchlist too that I'll need to get around to. Rather enjoyed Sliders which is an older scifi show, but it got a bit samey so I never finished it.
To be fair that was probably one the earlier examples of network shenanigans

Last series or so after budgets slashed, one of the main cast left and others got a say was when it went awful. Depending upon where you ducked out then that might have been that point.

Reactions: The Real Jdbye

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just finished watching the latest season of Lost in Space on Netflix, was pretty good and worth a watch.

Older shows... Knight Rider, and the more recent Battle Star Galactica, Stargate, STNG, a few others depends on my mood lol

AncientBoi

THEE GAY WARLORD™ - Defender of GAY Rights
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just finished watching the latest season of Lost in Space on Netflix, was pretty good and worth a watch.

Older shows... Knight Rider, and the more recent Battle Star Galactica, Stargate, STNG, a few others depends on my mood lol

"Danger Will Robinson" LoL. But I did watch them waaaaaaay back when.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

I just finished that as well. It was excellent.
That kind of show would've been impossible not that long ago because of the cost of the CGI, you usually only saw movies with that kind of budget.
Wish they'd have shown more alien creatures and weird landscapes though. For the most part it looked no different from Earth. And that's probably because it was literally filmed on Earth and making the entire landscape CGI would've been too expensive. Avatar is full of that kind of stuff and that's why I love it so much, it creates a sense of wonder. But I don't expect a TV show to have the same level of CGI.
So many TV shows end abruptly when the network decided they weren't getting enough views to justify another season, so it's great to have one that reaches its natural conclusion and ends at a logical point with no major unsolved plot holes remaining so I don't feel cheated out of an ending.

appleburger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I like shows from all eras!

Ever since I got a nice plex setup going, I've been all over the place. Some classics can never be beat for me, like Twilight Zone or the original Star Trek.

But some new shows, like @The Real Jdbye mentioned, have such incredible budgets that they're on par with blockbluster films from earlier years, which is awesome. Game of Thrones has some of the most incredible set designs I've ever seen, and Ozark has some damn good acting (although that blue filter gets old for me, but great show). Breaking Bad had a lot of care put into the way it was shot, and the story telling was really well paced, at least I thought.

I even enjoy the cringey CW superhero shows - I've watched a good chunk of the "Arrowverse", and it's like a modern day Batman '66 for me. Love it.

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
As time passes, enough content is created that we just simply cannot watch, due to time restrictions.
I have a server/nas with a good amount of storage, and get some new stuff, but have a lot of things older than 10, 15, 20+ years.
Always nice to be in control of things.

very funny when the gas man comes to visit!

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As time passes, enough content is created that we just simply cannot watch, due to time restrictions.
I have a server/nas with a good amount of storage, and get some new stuff, but have a lot of things older than 10, 15, 20+ years.
Always nice to be in control of things.

very funny when the gas man comes to visit!
I keep a few things on my PC but some stuff I just am like "Meh I could live without seeing it again." Hard to know what mood I will be in a year from now though lol I do love the Marvel live action movies and I do love the DC animated stuff.

Reactions: cearp

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sliders great at the start then it got real weird then at the end it got kind of good again.

I keep wanting to watch Fringe again but uugghhh Amazon wants to charge for the seasons or something so streaming it free is a pain at times.

Reactions: The Real Jdbye

Deleted member 545975

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, and good day! Indeed: I have lately been watching Digimon series anime, and enjoying myself by! My favorite anime is also old; they are two: One named as Ys: Book I, and another named as Ys: Book II and is also known as Ys II: Castle in the Heavens! They, and even more the later, satisfy my attraction for the epic European-medieval fantasy, more than any other video media I am conscious of in this moment!

Dead2009

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I watch a mixture of both. Sadly the newer sitcoms and cartoons havent been able to capture the magic of the ones that came before them.

sombrerosonic

Idiot machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ive been watching alot of 90's and 00's FOX shows lately, Stuff like Family guys early seasons as well as the Simpsons. Newer stuff has. You can say that new TV has gone down the route as US comics, Overly political. I had idea for ok'ish show that shows from the charters pov.

Joker25

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ukraine
Why do you need any shows when you have TikTock?:rofl2:
But to be honest, it used to be better, but everything is moving forward, you can't stand still. But it's an individual thing for everyone.

CraddaPoosta

Sepatown, my damie.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I watch 'The Office' so often that I can literally see every single scene as it plays out, even with my eyes closed when I am trying to fall asleep. I have no shame in this.

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
I watch almost exclusively old shows, and grew up with them. Whether it was All in the Family when I was a kid, or watching Family Ties and Fresh Prince when I was a teen.

I've been watching newer shows lately, and they've been really great. I don't know many good shows, but there's some amazing modern ones out there. The Walking Dead has been interesting, and Bojack Horseman is one of the best shows I've ever seen. I've been more open to watching new stuff lately and it's been worth it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.