Do you watch old TV shows more than new ones?

subcon959

@!#?@!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I seem to be stuck in an endless loop of old Doctor Who episodes. So much so, I couldn't even name 3 current shows on TV/streaming.

Which old shows do you prefer to watch over newer stuff?

Reactions: Alexander1970

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Actual TV for TV's sake... we were still in the TV shows on DVD era at this point.
TV shows in general. Been many years at this point since the internet took over. Was gradual but I noticed it happening. At one point I stopped following current TV other than occasional wander over to http://www.pogdesign.co.uk/cat/ , and I think it is telling my bookmark title says May 2016. Today I barely recognise anything.
Today. I have been catching up occasionally on what little I have missed, often on a somewhat weekly basis, and it is not much. Found some things compelling for a while but ultimately the list grows while I do not find myself returning to it. It does generally trend somewhat older, but there are a few from at least the last 10 years (anything that started in the last 5 is harder but there are a few, and a few that maybe finished in that timeframe that I am still nowhere near seeing).
The vast vast majority of what I do on the video front is straight internet content, even when I try to watch similar on TV it is usually far weaker and does not get into any useful detail.

Glyptofane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Definitely. In the past couple years, I have streamed through all of Head of the Class, Perfect Strangers, Family Matters, reluctantly Step by Step, and original Saint Seiya. I've already seen most of these multiple times in the past, but it was still a good time.

Dr_Faustus

Resident Robot Hoarder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I seem to be stuck in an endless loop of old Doctor Who episodes. So much so, I couldn't even name 3 current shows on TV/streaming.

Which old shows do you prefer to watch over newer stuff?

I do not know if I should respond with the typical "Well, its a series since the 60's so there's a lot to watch" or with the newer "Well given the state of the new seasons quality the older episodes deserve a rewatch for better appreciation". Can you tell that I was a fan? Heheheh

Seriously though, I tend to watch and rewatch older stuff on the typical, but recently I have found myself enjoying older stuff just because its written better and not trying to pander to anyone or anything. Its just a straight forward passionate story for the sake of losing yourself into the media. Its becoming harder to find that these days executed well in modern media.

I watch a lot of old anime with my life. She was always into obvious early yuri and decided that she needed to share that with me.

I tend to rewatch some classics now and again, but some other ones more than others. For some reason I tend to find myself rewatching Serial Experiments Lain or Ergo Proxy once a year. Maybe its because I just like surreal stuff that I can find appreciation in.

Reactions: Glyptofane

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thought of a more succinct example.

Of all the TV shows I watched in recent years possibly 90% or more at least had their first few series be in 4:3, some the entire run barring random episodes.

Reactions: cearp

subcon959

@!#?@!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thought of a more succinct example.

Of all the TV shows I watched in recent years possibly 90% or more at least had their first few series be in 4:3, some the entire run barring random episodes.
It's weird, to this day my brain much prefers 4:3. There's a certain amount of intimacy that is lost with widescreen.

RookieKid

Trophies
XP
Country
Yupp, I can't really name that many new tv-show that I watch. Not counting new episodes of South Park or American Dad etc.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
definitely, my mother and I watch a star trek block every night but one on H&I. I've had sonarr recording shows for me on the pc, and I have several old show. I've thought about adding I Love Lucy. that show is fantastic for the 50s, way before my time. :D

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think I burnt myself out on the idea of watching reruns in general a few years back. Sure I'll revisit shows here and there, but not nearly to the extent that I used to. Mostly, I find myself waiting for new episodes of shows I enjoy currently airing and filling the time I would watch reruns in with watching dumb youtube shit instead. Probably a trade for the worse, but since it's all new content to my brain, I don't feel as much like I'm wasting my time when I am watching said youtube crap.

CharlieWex

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I love How I Met Your Mother, The Big Bang Theory. I actually watched them many years after the premiere and they are really cool shows.

boot3

Internet trash
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm a big fan of South Park and while I do like the modern episodes, those early seasons are gold to me.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: sure, it can be hands free