Do you use an email client for desktop in 2021? if so, why?

Do you use a email client?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Flame

Me > You
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
I just updated software on my Linux mint when i saw thunderbird, and i thought i have this?

i mean i have the an app on my phone. when i need use it i just open the website for it but that is about it.

made me think do people still use email clients for desktop in 2021. if so is they any advantages or any other reasons to use one?

edit:-

for personal use related.

Last edited by Flame,
Reactions: Mama Looigi

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
Yes, using multiple email address and having them in one application is very useful. It also stores your emails so you can choose to view offline if you wish.
If your email is 'DIY', then often using something like Thunderbird is better than whatever web ui, like roundcode, horde, etc. Although some are very nice.

It's a little similar to doing stuff on your phone, why download the facebook/youtube app, you can use the website on your phone right? :)

Reactions: Halvorsen and Flame

djpannda

GBAtemp's Pannda
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have my personal email set up with apple mail app on my MacBook but I have not used it in bout a year but if I remember correctly, I first set it up because the email client was way better to search old emails.

Reactions: cearp

sandytf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I pay for business class email for my personal email. Originally, I was using IMAP, but I was recently forced to switch to Exchange. Either way, all of my emails stay on the server so I can just use the email portal on any desktop (or mobile device) and have an app for my phone.

Reactions: Flame

Zalex

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Hi,

Spark on Mobile
Opera Mail & Vivaldi on Desktop

For more than one eMail address is most comfortable.

In some clients, both mentioned, you can read RSS as well.

All in IMAP, here, you have updated version of any Draft, Flag, label...

MailSpring seems nice too but couldn't make it to work here.

RedMi Note 7 Pro | Tapatalk

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No phone here so all PC based. IMAP these days but I did stick with pop3 for rather longer than most, have also set up some dual things.
Webmail works when out and about, and I actually came somewhat late to the desktop client party (was shortly before thunderbird was essentially mothballed by mozilla), but for searching purposes then desktop has it beat nicely and quite often I do have to search for addresses, contents, subject, attachments and whatever else. Similarly spares me whatever UI designer can't leave well enough alone and forces me to endure animations, slowdowns, tries to take control from me, tries to guess what spam is and dare my connection not render a single frame of javascript somewhere in that it will need a refresh...
Also has a nice calendar function (99% of which is to remind me to water the venus flytrap on its still complicated watering schedule).
Do have a few accounts but not as many as I used to (or more accurately anything I used to have is a forwarder these days until I need otherwise).

Never got along with outlook, though I have come to dislike phones even more.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
how come? just the security aspect of it?
if it's not liking android or ios, there are some which you can run linux on.
Was around when phones became more than something doctors and executives had (possibly just installed in the car), was around during the doctors and executives time as well but was not paying much attention there. Cost was an issue but then pay as you go as it is known around here (you buy credit from shops). Did not like to be contactable when out and about and thus avoiding having one, or when I was compelled to it was a glorified house phone and spent its life tethered to the wall really. It befell an "accident" the very first car ride it could have as well when that ended.
Since then I still don't like to be contacted when out and about. Lack of devices I am free to do what I like with did put me off as well; I have less experience with the Linux side of things there (saw ubuntu were doing something but that was about it), was interested in de googled phones too*.
Equally I don't like having to have data run out each month (phone calls and SMS last in some things forever but in most for about a year which is fine).
Today I would also seek a phone that has a 3.5mm headphone, a SD card slot and while in the realm of fantasy a battery that can be easily removed and replaced (though I am prepared to compromise on that one and hack it in myself). Mind you I still don't care about being contacted when out and about.

Thus far in life the only problem I think I have had is I could not go to a concert for my favourite band the other year as they tried to sell tickets through a phone focused thing, the PC side did not work and when I pulled apart the application I thought I might as well package up my data and post it to ID theft boards myself as at least they would have the right name and address which stands a better chance of being removed from whatever list/loan application/... it ends up on rather than "sir, the computer has a different name here".

*others new to this then this guy has some interesting stuff

Short version. You sacrifice some minor abilities as far as google services wound into things, gain privacy options, gain more battery life, sacrifice less memory to stupid background processes and yeah. Can even still use a few google services as a genero user if you wanted.

Reactions: cearp

Y0shII

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Costa Rica
I use Thunderbird for personal and work accounts. Outlook sucks.... I usually have to deal with Outlook issues and it is a waste of time, those profiles grow up like crazy and are prone to corruption; also migration to a new pc is a nightmare.

Deleted member 114266

Trophies
XP
Yes, and I still haven't found something better than eM Client. I bought a lifetime upgrades license 7.5 years ago.

It merges email, address book, calendar, tasks, and chat from multiple sources into one interface. Webapps don't match the ease of switching accounts from multiple providers.

It also has some of the best searchings, Outlook has always been slow when I've tried searching for things. After selecting a contact in the contact list you have tabs for history which is a searchable list of all email and chat communications with the contact, and there's also an attachments tab that is also searchable. Finding the document someone emailed you the other day is a breeze.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
As others have stated, I use Thunderbird and legacy pop3 servers so I can be sure that I have an offline copy of my messages that I can back up and easily search if I need to. Of course, I really haven't had much need to and most of the time I just access everything online anyway. So maybe it's force of habit.

Thunderbird is actually obnoxiously slow and bloated and I kind of wish there was a reliable lightweight alternative that didn't have all the calendar stuff that I never use.

sabreman

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I've been testing a lot of them since the Eudora times or even before but now I'm testing eM Client at this moment, recently changed from Mailbird only because I have some problems with my main account.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    I can't believe you got me with that
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I haven't been gaming for such a long time. Been mostly busy with sleep, hardware tinkering and checking GBAtemp frequently.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hope you've had a good morning.
    It's going alright thanks :) I know what you mean with gaming time. It's precious where I can get it these days.
    +1
    I think that's why I focus on just enjoying single player experiences that aren't too competitive
    How are you doing?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    There's also this thing where I'm hyperfocused at night and cannot get to sleep.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl: