Do you use an Antivirus for your PC and/or Phone?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Coolsonickirby, Nov 27, 2019.

?
  1. Yes, but only for my PC.

19 vote(s)
    41.3%
  2. Yes but only for my Phone.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Yes for both.

7 vote(s)
    15.2%
  4. No for both

20 vote(s)
    43.5%
  1. KingBlank

KingBlank King of Nothing

Sep 17, 2008
    New Zealand
    New Zealand
    Last I heard Norton was worthless, has it improved?

2. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Legend

May 11, 2008
    United States
    Is it worthless? No, it blocks about 100% of real-world threats according to the AV-Comparatives tests. Is it worth the money when compared to something free like Windows Defender? No, probably not. Windows Defender blocks about 99.3-100% of real-world threats.

3. PineappleGod

PineappleGod Banished God (My name's Piney)

Oct 2, 2019
    United States
    Now in GhostLatte's van!
    Norton is not worthless. It basically saves my life biweekly. Don't ask how I manage to get that many viruses.

4. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Legend

May 11, 2008
    United States
    How do you manage to get that many viruses?

PineappleGod and KingBlank like this.
  5. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Don't have a phone. Only install from repos on Linux and if they are compromised then I have bigger issues. Windows Defender or whatever it is called these days on Windows installs. On Windows defender then +1 to the oversensitive issue these days... so many nice little tools (I imagine half of http://www.nirsoft.net/ is probably blocked) that it usually knocks out before you can even stop it (learned to leave them zipped on my USB of wonder). Other than that I don't want to fix viruses and with that in mind I still go with it.

Adblock and nice things to stop scripts on any browser I come across. Haven't really seen exes on email for a few years now. Such things have probably saved me and mine more than anything else.

6. Ryccardo

Ryccardo and his tropane alkaloids

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    Always used Common Sense Pro since about 2005 (that includes XP with an admin account when it was the most popular OS), unsurprisingly with no problems except two times where I deliberately tried two malwares for fun :D

Worth noting that I use µMatrix to blacklist javashit by default in my web browser - while I do that for performance and efficiency reasons, it appears that 99% plus of advertisers, wannabe exploiters, and other sources of undesirable content can't figure out a way to do such without me allowing their (allegedly sandboxed) unsolicited code execution!

7. Necron

Necron Lurking~

Dec 29, 2008
    Chile
    Mi casa
    Been fixing computers for years as well (more like a hobby tho, not a full time job) and most things slowing down computers are crapware that comes bundled with other programs, like search bars or those "we optimize your pc" programs. Rarely I've needed to do something deep besides uninstalling and cleaning folders/registry.

8. Uiaad

Uiaad GBAtemp's resident guinea pig

Dec 23, 2008
    United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
    A good mix of common sense, windows defender and malwarebytes for PC - For phones I never really see a reason to have an AV as again common sense and checking out any sideloaded apps in a vm before hand does the trick.

When it comes to work I'm a bastard, but then again sometimes it's my job to be a bastard. Usually if we are have new hires, they have the pleasure of 3 hours with me going over do's and don'ts, VPN's, inhouse software etc. One important part of this is security. I give them the exact scenario that's going to happen,A flash drive found in the car park. Of course what they are supposed to do is either hand it over to IT or leave it where it is and tell IT. But what usually happens is someone will take back to their desk and plug it in. Of course the second they do it pings lets me know ( through inhouse software ), i email their manager and they end up with a written warning.

You would be shocked how effective this tactic is for getting inside a 'secure' network - moral of the story ... if you see a flash drive on the street just walk on by

9. Extrasklep

Extrasklep gbaTemp Fan

Aug 24, 2017
    Poland
    Browser’s Castle
    I use linux but back when I used windows 10 I didn't have any antivirus (not even windows defender) and I never got any viruses or crap

Lilith Valentine likes this.
  10. dAVID_

dAVID_ Electrician's Apprentice

Oct 23, 2016
    Mexico
    The Game
    None, Linux masterrace FTW.

Lilith Valentine and Extrasklep like this.
  11. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Succubus™ The Adorable Enby

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Hiding from Area 51 guards
    Yeah, I use a little known anti-virus that goes by the name of “Linux.” My computer had this really nasty spyware right out of box and Linux was able to clean that up quite nicely.

Extrasklep likes this.
  12. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    You purchased a computer with spyware? You should have got a refund. :blink:

13. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Succubus™ The Adorable Enby

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Hiding from Area 51 guards
    Getting a refund for Windows is a hassle.

Sonic Angel Knight likes this.
  14. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Just my PC, not my phone

15. Minox

Minox Thanks for the fish

Former Staff
    Aug 27, 2007
    Japan
    I'm using ESET NOD32 as a last line of defense, but hopefully I will never need to rely on it.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted