Do you use .3DSX HomeBrews while having CFW and similar installable apps? Why?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Majickhat55, Apr 22, 2017.

?

Do you use .3DSX HomeBrews while having CFW and similar installable apps? Why?

1. Yes, some HomeBrew can't be converted to CIA.

7 vote(s)
    41.2%
  2. No, my current CFW does the same and more.

10 vote(s)
    58.8%
  1. Majickhat55
    OP

Majickhat55 The Red Woman

Mar 28, 2016
    United States
    Asshai
    Title. Genuinely just curious to see who uses HomeBrew and CFW. I think there is only one HomeBrew app that I use and that's PokeSlow. Other than that custom apps I have installed or the CFW itself does everything I used to use HomeBrew for. What about the rest of you?

2. Pakhitew-Island

Pakhitew-Island GBAtemp Regular

Apr 16, 2017
    Jamaica
    I use homebrew because I dont like having too many CIAs installed unless I have to. Like, I prefer just using GameYob to having individual CIAs, I just use the save manager homebrew, etc

'Don and Majickhat55 like this.
  3. KunoichiZ

KunoichiZ GBAtemp Guru

Mar 16, 2012
    United States
    The only thing I really use the HBL for is ctr-httpwn. Anything else I'm interested in (GBA/GB/GBC games, JKSM) are in CIA format or can be converted to CIA format. I have really no other reason to use the HBL unless some things can't be converted to a CIA.

Majickhat55 likes this.
  4. Majickhat55
    OP

Mar 28, 2016
    United States
    Asshai
    You could install an emulator as a CIA though, and use that. Also JKSM is superior to save manager. No pressure, just saying there are other options for you.

5. Pakhitew-Island

Pakhitew-Island GBAtemp Regular

Apr 16, 2017
    Jamaica
    I get that, but I dont usually install something new until the thing I'm currently using starts no longer being suitable for me. I may get JKSM though, since my recent switching between Mario Maker saves means I'm using it a lot more often than I used to.

6. addi33

addi33 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 12, 2016
    Gambia, The
    the "custom apps" are also homebrew, 3dsx/cia format doesn't matter its all homebrew. as long as you have the source you can go to compile any 3dsx homebrew into a ctr importable archive if you wish to do so.

Pakhitew-Island likes this.
  7. DudFunk

DudFunk Member

Newcomer
    Apr 22, 2017
    I only use one (pretty old) 3dsx homebrew and that because I am too noob to convert it to CIA, but I'll get there :yay::yay3ds:

8. dimmidice

dimmidice GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 12, 2009
    Belgium
    I don't use any homebrew. Everything i've needed is available as a CIA which is simply more convenient.

9. Majickhat55
    OP

Mar 28, 2016
    United States
    Asshai
    Yes I know this, but I put it the way I did to differentiate between apps that can ONLY be loaded from the HomeBrew launcher itself. Also, you're wrong about all apps being able to be converted without editing code. HANS is one such application; sure, you can make a CIA, but it's not going to work without some extra tweaking.

Pakhitew-Island likes this.
  10. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ Cuddle lesbian derp

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    I install everything through CIA. I don't even have the homebrew launcher installed anymore

11. Rangnarok

Rangnarok Member

Newcomer
    Oct 21, 2004
    Since I managed to get CFW, I haven't touched HBL for anything at all.

12. ElijahZAwesome

ElijahZAwesome GBATemp's official... uh... uhhhhhhhhhhhh

Jul 12, 2016
    United States
    Narnia
    I never use the homebrew launcher or any .3dsx' for that matter anymore now with CFW. 99% of all 3dsx apps are also available in CIA format. The only thing i used HBL for is portal3ds but then I realized the code is a mess

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro