Do you unplug your console from the wall when not playing it?

Do you unplug your console from the wall when not playing it?

• Yes

Votes: 22 26.5%
  • No

Votes: 61 73.5%

• Total voters

MetoMeto

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
So we all know consoles consume electricity, thats how they work anyway, so they need to be plugged in,
but do you unplug it from the wall (or console) when NOT playing it or leave it in standby all the time?

Or do you unplug it here and there or NEVER, till it BURNS!!!.....I'm kidding lol it wont burn :P ....or will it?! xD
Well anyway i guess if you leave connect 24 on a Wii it can actually burn it...but that's the thing of past (i hope so)

Ok i sidetracked i bit...
so yeah...do you leave it pluged or unpluged? :)

Last edited by MetoMeto,

MetoMeto

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Wow you're joking right?! It consumes that much?
Well i leave it simply cause i don't need it and to let components cool off and rest. But i didn't know it consumes electricity that much!

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So we all know consoles consume electricity, thats how they work anyway, so they need to be plugged in,
but do you unplug it from the wall (or console) when NOT playing it or leave it in standby all the time?

Or do you unplug it here and there or NEVER, till it BURNS!!!.....I'm kidding lol it wont burn :P ....or will it?! xD
Well anyway i guess if you leave connect 24 on a Wii it can actually burn it...but that's the thing of past (i hope so)

Ok i sidetracked i bit...
so yeah...do you leave it pluged or unpluged? :)

Nah. I always leave it plugged in. My electricity bill for every months depends on company but mostly about 7 euro a month. Sometimes 5 euro a month.

And I even leave light on at night time, always. No problem. CHEAP!

I heard about Brazil. Very expensive. I feel sad for Brazilian people. Government there are horrible and a corrupt! Government there doesn't care about people there. Government is evil :whip:

Tourists should stop going there to give Government a hard time, indeed. :creep:

Last edited by spotanjo3,

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia

MetoMeto

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Poll has been added. Cast your votes!

Modern consoles don't turn off by default, they enter a "standby/sleep/faststart" mode that still use some power. Here's a (slightly older) writeup:

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/03/how-standby-modes-on-game-consoles-suck-up-energy/

tl;dr:

PS4
Default "Rest mode" power draw: 10W

Xbox One
Default "Instant On" power draw: 12.9W
Cool! thanks for that!

On that note, even WiiU gamepad doesnt turn off, thats why i made a phisical switch for that. I posted pics here but i will make a tutorial how i did that if ayone wants to know.

As for WiiU gamed, its not just about the cost, its that the battery will probably die faster cause its constantly on charger. I dont know for sure but i dont think thats good tbh.

Last edited by MetoMeto,

MockyLock

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I use to plug all my electronic stuff into power strip with switch.
Once i'm done with it, just turn the whole stuff OFF.

peteruk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well I'm not very active on the games playing side of things but here's my input for what it's worth....

Nintendo Switch lives docked in sleep mode always and forever except for performing updates or adding new CFW/HB

PS4 is connected to the mains but powered off, I cannot remember the last time I played it - perhaps last year ? Can't remember. When I had my 5.05 console that was left in rest mode purely for the exploit.

Nvidia Shield I use as my cord cutting TV box so it's either always on OR in sleep mode.

That's it :)

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Hello.:)

Sometimes Yes,sometimes No.

It depends on,which Console I play/use.
But the Cables/Power Adapters are all plugged into a Power Surge Bar with an Switch.:)

The only Console which is permanently plugged in at the Moment is the Wii U.

XBox,PlayStation 2 and PSX needs only an "Eight" Cable.
(Hehehe....I wonder when the first asks...)

Dreamcast has an Power Adapter because of the Pico PSU.

Wii and Wii U have their Power Adapters.

The Charging Adapters (PSP/DSi/3DS/Wii Motion Controller/Wii U Gamepad/GameBoy Advance/DS Lite) are stored in a Box and plugged in when needed.

Thank you.:)

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria

oh i wanted to install taht one! Are they expensive and can i make one my self?

Also can you guy them still?

If you tell us your Wii U Gamepad Switch Modification Secret in a Guide then I will tell you. laughing.gif

The Pico/Dream PSU was from Aliexpress and yes you can still buy it:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001282468258.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.76004c4doxrVQn
(This is the One that I have purchased.)

Reactions: Lostbhoy

MetoMeto

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe

If you tell us your Wii U Gamepad Switch Modification Secret in a Guide then I will tell you.View attachment 229185

The Pico/Dream PSU was from Aliexpress and yes you can still buy it:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001282468258.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.76004c4doxrVQn
(This is the One that I have purchased.)

Yeah sure lol ill post it, its prety basic and simple. Just some otherday, and also i need to take it out again etc.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Thanks for thelink by the way!

Also what do you think of this? it looks to cheap to be legit...

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a civilised country that has switches on the sockets. Only reason to unplug something is to move it (I do have many of my games on a little cart) or because lightning is happening and I would rather not have to repair static damage.

There is also the little tiny lights problem
https://xkcd.com/313/

While I have tape, resistor and permanent markers on many things it is easier to skip it entirely.

Reactions: Boosh

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I only leave hybrid unit like the switch plugged in when not in use, home console like the PS4/Xbox One, I just shut off when not in use.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I would never bother unplugging any console from the wall when it's turned off, best case I save a whole .01% on my power bill in a year and quite frankly that's nothing to me, so it's not worth the effort.

Now if I really wanted to save money on my power bill I'd be turning my PCs and my rack server off at night when I'm not using them, they're what really suck up power for me. I have at least 2 desktops running 24/7 which probably costs me like $75-$100 a month to run all the time (including when in use and while idle), and my rack server adds ~$20 to my bill every month as well (though that's not too bad considering it's basically running the equivalent of 3 desktops right now). If I actually turned them off at night, I could probably shave a good $30-$50 off my bill every month no problem, which is substantially higher than unplugging every console in my house would be.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would never bother unplugging any console from the wall when it's turned off, best case I save a whole .01% on my power bill in a year and quite frankly that's nothing to me, so it's not worth the effort.

Now if I really wanted to save money on my power bill I'd be turning my PCs and my rack server off at night when I'm not using them, they're what really suck up power for me. I have at least 2 desktops running 24/7 which probably costs me like $75-$100 a month to run all the time (including when in use and while idle), and my rack server adds ~$20 to my bill every month as well (though that's not too bad considering it's basically running the equivalent of 3 desktops right now). If I actually turned them off at night, I could probably shave a good $30-$50 off my bill every month no problem, which is substantially higher than unplugging every console in my house would be.

Well 50 dollars is still 50 dollars, that is $600 dollars a year.

Reactions: Alexander1970

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria

Yeah sure lol ill post it, its prety basic and simple. Just some otherday, and also i need to take it out again etc.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Thanks for thelink by the way!

Also what do you think of this? it looks to cheap to be legit...

It is ok,the difference to other,more expensive Version,is the Firmware.Most comes with v5.5,"newer" Clones comes with v5.15b
like this.
For me,I use two v5.15 GDemus and have not experienced a Game wich does not work properly.:)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Least they got head in the end