Do you underachieve?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by xcalibur, Sep 16, 2007.

Sep 16, 2007

Do you underachieve? by xcalibur at 2:23 PM (1,335 Views / 0 Likes) 15 replies

1. xcalibur
    OP

Member xcalibur Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear

United Kingdom
    Im just wondering if any of you guys ever underachieve?
    do always give your best or do you always hold back?

i always hold back untill the last moment(school) or else the expectations become too high, which sucks big time...
    one of my teachers saw through my "act" and always tried to get me to work.
    he said i could be in top set(in gcse's children of different levels are in different classes or "sets" for the same subject)
    and every single time would seperate me from my friends just so id do some stupid poem.
    the top set teacher didnt want me so i get to stay comfortably in my class.
    the best of all is, i got an A for literature for which i refused to do work just to annoy my teacher.
    the worst thing to do is to underachieve consistently because then you get put on rapport.
    i hate that soooo much, you always have to suck up to the teacher(well i did, since they didnt like me) just so theyd put my behaviour as "acceptable"

i still live by the creed of underachievement and procrastination untill now and you know what?
    im enjoying every moment of it.

how bout you guys?

2. Samutz

Member Samutz Wet Tissue Sample

United States
    At work, I would say I underachieve when I'm doing something boring and mundane. But when I'm doing something new and cool, I always overachieve.

For example, the past few weeks I've been working on online forms. They gave me seven forms that they wanted to be able to be filled out online and submitted, and when submitted it emails the administrator of that particular form. Boring. I've done it a hundred times before.
    So I've been slow about getting it done and coding some of it in lazier ways than I would have before.

But when I was asked to design a system for teachers to upload their lesson plans and have them automatically organized by week, teacher, campus, and such, I liked working on it. It was something new that I had never tried before and I busted my butt to make it work and make it easy for the teachers to use.
    And then again when I was asked to create a student portfolio system for teachers to upload students' best works to. And again for the helpdesk ticket system for the tech department.
    And now once this form crap is out of the way I get to re-make the current crappy website while still making it easy for administrators to update (who don't know a thing about html or php), which I've wanted to do for so long now. Now that I have permission to do it, I can't wait and I plan to bust my ass to make it happen.

3. TLSpartan

Member TLSpartan Kills threads

Australia
    That website burned out my retinas. Did they use Frontpage for that one [​IMG] .

I under achieve when its a boring class (German, Geography, English,Health,etc). But when its a cool class (History,Electronics,Art) I over achieve(except in Art where everyone screws around [​IMG] ).

4. Trulen

Member Trulen GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I can't not being of the best :/

I KNOW THAT SOUNDS HORRIDLY CONCEITED.

But c'mon. Getting a C is like... A nasty insult for me.

I need them A's and high B's.

But yeah ]: I chug out my best at pretty much all times.
    But if my best isn't good enough to be one of the best, then I am unhappy >[

5. Linkiboy

Member Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

United States
    I spend 15 minutes on homework each night and I have over 100% average in 3 of my classes

I dont work hard unless I need to.

6. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    [​IMG]

Um.... irony much?

7. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    It depends, if you use grades as a metric for gauging such things then I am borderline useless (to me grades mean little but that is a whole other debate). This may of course have something to do with a chronic aversion to coursework (unless it is interesting as coursework/homework for the sake of coursework/homework is one of the things I dislike the most).

Of course I would rather learn something than pass a test (many others I have met over the course of things go the other way).

"the worst thing to do is to underachieve consistently because then you get put on report"
    Been there before. No effect.

Courtesy of all this I pretty much only get work with people that know me so they always get a fair shake from me.

8. Samutz

Member Samutz Wet Tissue Sample

United States
    Sadly, yes. But now we've got more teachers that use Firefox. And there's a class that takes 2 college classes through a video conference system (aka distance learning) and their teachers require them to use Firefox in class. So now my boss's boss is finally pushing my boss to get the site re-done to work on any browser.

9. Psyfira

Member Psyfira Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue

United Kingdom
    What's the point? Don't get me wrong I'm terrible for procrastinating and putting things off until they really need doing. But when it gets to that time why delibrately make a bad job of it? (unless you're driven to the verge of giving up, that's something different)

Just don't make much sense to me.

10. MrDunk

Member MrDunk GBAtemp Regular

United States
    You sir, like me are a genuis!

11. xcalibur
    OP

Member xcalibur Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear

United Kingdom
    its just that i dont work hard on purpose when it doesnt really affect me.
    being a lazy arse in class and getting C/B's on coursework(theyre only usually a small part of the course)
    but exams i always do good because thats what matters most

IT or electronics however most of the course is usually coursework so i always get A's for that

i always keep my parents guessing and always suprised!
    every good exam means more presents at the end of the year [​IMG]

12. yuyuyup

Member yuyuyup GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Wow, you guys really know how to bend down and kiss your own asses !

13. lemoncurdstevey

Newcomer lemoncurdstevey Newbie

United Kingdom
    i am one of lifes great underachievers and i love every second of it! everyone expects so much more out of me than i will ever bother to give them. its kinda bad sometimes though especially when people i care about realise the truth but those times are slowly being taken over by the satisfaction of doing nothing but work, love and gaming.

Unless its games/movies/computer/girl related then i just switch off very quickly. its bad when your in interviews for jobs. but great when your dealing with noobs and lamers.

life is the kinda average i like.
    can't complain [​IMG]

14. VVoltz

Member VVoltz The Pirate Lord

Bolivia
    I know what you mean.
    I was kinda like that and maybe still am. But I'm learning that I have to give my 100% all the time.
    I want more.

15. RayorDragonFall

Member RayorDragonFall I see you've played knifey-spoony before.

Spain
    I've always been an underachiever. Since I'm able to pass tests studying the day before thats usually what I do. I'm a lazy lazy person, but even still when I want to, I'll point very very very high. Because if I hardly work and get good grades, if I work and study every day then... [​IMG]
    I don't do it to see a nice A, or get more presents or less from my parents (they are used to see As so its not like I get anything), I do it for myself. I want to be successful in life, and thats based on talent, but also work.

16. Szyslak

Member Szyslak Nudibranch Lover

United States
    I'm a serial underachiever. In fact, I don't feel like finishing this post...