Do you turn off your 3DS? Or put it in sleep mode?

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by phazonknight, Nov 28, 2014.

?

Sleep mode? or turn off?

1. Sleep Mode

59.6%
  2. Shut down

40.4%
  1. phazonknight
    OP

phazonknight GBAtemp Regular

Feb 3, 2014
    Canada
    As the title suggests. I find i put it in sleep mode rather then turn it off. I wonder if there are any negative consequences to such.

2. endoverend

endoverend AKA zooksman

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    endoverend is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 6, 2013
    United States
    I put it in sleep mode, because the system was designed to stay always on and I typically put it on the charging dock.

3. Ace Overclocked

Ace Overclocked My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

Jul 30, 2010
    Italy
    Somewhere
    Shut down, why would i let it constantly on? the ram will eventually bleed dry and it would waste so much goddamn electricity, it's irresponsible

TheCasketMan likes this.
  4. gamefan5

gamefan5 Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur

Aug 29, 2010
    Canada
    Somewhere in this Earth
    Are people that lazy to never turn off their 3DS?

TheCasketMan and placebooooo like this.
  5. phazonknight
    OP

Feb 3, 2014
    Canada
    cant speak for people but i am at least. Just because i like to open it up and just load a game rather then go through gateway (and sometimes get a black screen and have to redo the process again)

froatsnook likes this.
  6. placebooooo

placebooooo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 9, 2013
    United States
    Philadelphia
    I turn it off. Honestly, it may be annoying to constantly go through gateway, but I just feel like something is bound to happen by leaving it in sleep mode all the time. The longest I would probably leave the handheld in sleep mode is for an hour or two.

Queno138 likes this.
  7. ov3rkill

ov3rkill GBAtemp Maniac

May 10, 2009
    Australia
    in a cardboard box
    Depends on my level of laziness. Most of the time, I just leave it on sleep mode.

8. phazonknight
    OP

Feb 3, 2014
    Canada
    Also a question to the people that shut it off. How do you keep your home screen icons in the same place after loading gateway? If i need to shut off the system and i go back into emunand my icons are all over the place and not where i left them

9. phazonknight
    OP

Feb 3, 2014
    Canada
    Also a question to the people that shut it off. How do you keep your home screen icons in the same place after loading gateway? If i need to shut off the system and i go back into emunand my icons are all over the place and not where i left them

10. mech

mech ♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️

Oct 26, 2014
    Tuvalu
    some electronic components have a small window of life compared to other parts in the device, electrolytic caps for instance.. better switching things off if ya aint using them. Saves electricity too :)

11. phazonknight
    OP

Feb 3, 2014
    Canada
    also to the people that turn off the system. how do you keep the home screen icons in the same place when you load up gateway? when i turn it off and then reload the emunand the icons are all over the place and not where i left them

EDIT : not sure why my posts are being duplicated, not trying to be a dick, sorry people

12. Nathan Drake

Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Jan 2, 2011
    I rarely fully turn any of my electronics off. The 3DS is a little more active than some things, but otherwise my Vita has stayed in sleep mode for months at a time. My phone has been completely off maybe three times since I got it in July. My laptop has only been off long enough to turn immediately back on and begin updating. I don't see why I would give my 2DS special treatment.

Sleep mode for everything forever.

13. ultimatetemper

ultimatetemper GBAtemp Fan

Dec 30, 2010
    I only leave it in Sleep Mode when I play Bravely Default.
    Otherwise, I always turn it off.

14. yuyuyup

yuyuyup GBAtemp Psycho!

Apr 30, 2006
    United States
    USA MTN timezone
    Well, the battery and electricity are rather negligible, the battery itself is cheap and easy to replace. I do have a concern for any wear the system might experience, and I do turn it off depending on how much I'm playing 3DS at the time. I don't want to harm my precious 4.5 because I watched a take-apart video and it looks like a BITCH to reassemble. But I also wonder if leaving it in sleep mode might have less wear-and-tear than booting/gateway mode/off/etc. Either way, I'm sure in the coming years there will be a decent 3DS emulator (with 3d, or else fuck that shit.)

15. Apex

Apex GBAtemp Fan

Sep 4, 2006
    茨城県
    I live next to an Elementary, and Jr. High school, so I get tons of street passes from kids on their way to and from school. I leave it on.

16. hippy dave

hippy dave Butts Butts Megabutts

Apr 30, 2012
    In your sysnand, drag all the icons (besides settings and the cartridge slot) a long way to the right, to leave lots of empty spaces. Then try arranging in emunand and hopefully it will stick.

17. Clanver

Clanver Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 14, 2009
    Germany
    The 3ds Sleep mode still drains a lot of energy compared to other stuff, so i mostly shut it down.

My PSvita though is always in sleep mode, sometimes for weeks (haha, thats a vita for you), and the battery is still fine~

18. 4gionz

4gionz GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 16, 2014
    Canada
    I'm pretty sure you have to arrange them in sysnand then they will stay like that I'm emunand

19. rdurbin

rdurbin GBAtemp Fan

Sep 13, 2006
    United States
    US
    I always turn it off unless trying to get street passes or something

20. Zerousen

Zerousen 【=◈︿◈=】

GBAtemp Patron
    Zerousen is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 30, 2009
    United States
    Don't have a 3DS yet, but I'd probably turn it off if I don't plan on actively playing it, like if I'm at school or something. My PSP however, just idles in sleep mode forever, and it's been that way since I got it 5 years ago.

21. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ Spooky cute.

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    I since owning my system, I've turned it off maybe 3 times. I always put mine in sleep mode