Do you think Wii U's price will ever drop

Discussion in 'Wii U - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by eriol33, Mar 3, 2017.

1. eriol33
    OP

eriol33 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 2, 2014
    Indonesia
    both used and new price are still ridiculously expensive, I can buy a new PS4 with the price tag.

2. lgnmcrules

lgnmcrules GBAtemp Regular

Jan 13, 2016
    United States
    Yep. When the Switch 2 comes out.

3. VitaType

VitaType GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 16, 2016
    Germany
    No. At least not in the near future.

4. LichbannMejolaro

LichbannMejolaro GBAtemp Regular

Feb 21, 2017
    Brazil
    I think now is a bit late for that.

2 factors will make the price stays the same (if don't goes up):

1 - Zelda.
    2 - The fact that Nintendo stopped production.

The way I see, the ideal moment to buy was right after the switch announcement. At this point, I don't see anyone dropping the price on it.

5. tbb043

tbb043 Member

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    New? Unlikely since most of the remaining stock seems to have pulled from stores to make room for the Switch launch.

Used? Maybe in the short term, but once people realize that it has a good (if small) library, if anything it will probably eventually go up, particularly as gamepads get broken and no other way to get replaced. Unlike Wii's that are a dime a dozen, the very fact that Wii U didn't sell through very much is bound to make it a pricey system on the secondary market, particularly as its successor isn't BC.

6. Odven

Odven Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 30, 2014
    Underground
    I bought a refurbished unit from Nintendo's ebay store 3 months ago, I've set it up and have over 300 hours on it. While it's like new, I only paid 200$.

7. astrangeone

astrangeone GBAtemp Addict

Dec 1, 2009
    Canada
    Canada
    I just picked up mine from EBGames. (Didn't expect to, but craving a deep game like Breath of the Wild.) $250 Canadian, but had everything and was refurbished.

Just picked up the extra stuff needed for the system and it's pretty good.

8. Obveron

Obveron GBAtemp Fan

Jul 5, 2010
    Canada
    Likely the prices of used units will drop significantly do to high supply and low demand. Very much doubt the new price will drop, that has never been Nintendo's style.

9. tech3475

tech3475 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 12, 2009
    I'd suggest subscribing or monitoring discount/offer checking sites similar to hotukdeals.

At this point you may get an offer from shops wanting to ditch remaining stock, otherwise the price will only drop when there's low demand and high amount of units.

10. eriol33
    OP

eriol33 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 2, 2014
    Indonesia
    wow, that's a very good deal! but then, I live in Indonesia where console must be imported. PS4 is quite affordable and "fair", but Wii U price is still abnormal.

11. Gadd

Gadd GBAtemp Regular

Jan 18, 2017
    United States
    nintendo sells refurbished units. Nintendo refurbs have warranty and a high degree of confidence in the repair. They put new plastic housings on em too, mine looks brand spanking new. I got mine for 200, 32gb with nintendoland. So that is cheaper than retail and the best option for a deal right now. Other than that, you can buy a used on on ebay someday for less than 200 if you wait. Or maybe even now, maybe there's a glut of em on ebay from people selling to upgrade to switch, I haven't looked since I have one.

12. Heran Bago

Heran Bago Where do puyo come from?

Nov 6, 2005
    United States
    Foggy California
    In 3 to 8 years, yes.