Do you think we'll ever be able to run games from

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by blizeH, Feb 25, 2007.

1. blizeH
    OP

Member blizeH GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Discounting the piracy thing, there are heaps of other benefits I've become accustomed to and I'm not looking forward to giving up when I upgrade my consoles:

- Very small, or non existent loading times. When playing something like Fifa on my Xbox, I'm amazed when I go to a friend's at just how slow the load times are.

- Ability to play games previously unavailable in the UK - plenty of NTSC gems I've played on my PS2.

- No need to swap discs, just load up the console and chose your game from a list; perfect!

So, since both the PS3 and Xbox 360 in particular both have (or at least have the option) hard drives as standard, do you think we'll see the ability to play games from the hard drive any time soon?

2. legendofphil

Member legendofphil Phil no Densetsu

United Kingdom
    There is meant to be a PS3 HDD Loader in development, not sure how true this is, but with game sizes upto 50GB (DL BluRay) it might not that viable especially if you download the games. Saying that the PS3 HDD is "upgradeable".

The 360 on the other hand has smaller sized games, but no homebrew has been successful or hinted at being succesful. The HDD isn't upgradable, but there are strong indications of a larger drive becoming available soon.

It would be a good idea, but its not likely, atleast not yet.

3. H8TR

Member H8TR GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    It wouldn't be a problem as long as you could use a USB HDD (can get 500GB for $150!) and then transfer a new game to the PS3's 60GB+ HDD is full (as nobody would even bother doing it with a 20GB). Transfer times could make a couple people look away from the idea (it wouldn't bother me though). The largest BD-ROM game could be 25GB and with USB transfer speeds maxing out a 60MB/s, It would take a little over 7 minutes to transfer a game from a USB HDD to the PS3 assuming that you are constantly achieving max USB speeds.