Gaming Do you think USUM will leak early like SUMO did?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
They CAN'T tell apart pirated games unless it's eshop exclusives and you have allowed the sending of information. I don't know what idiot started the rumor that games show up differently on play records if they are pirated, but that it wrong. Pirated games and legit games can only be differentiated if it's an eshop exclusive, as Nintendo has LITERALLY no way to know if you are playing with a game cart or a digital download.
The header is sent to Nintendo, in the case of eShop games and CIAs that header is console unique, for cartridges it's cart unique. It's very possible that Nintendo can tell the two apart by their header.
Then they are probably lying!:P

What triggers the ban IS known, it's going online in-game or with the game loaded (eg: connected to the internet and switching to the browser while the game is running in the background). It's NOT simply having playtime on the game, otherwise all reviewers from sites like IGN would have gotten banned too! Some of the people doing pre-release reviews have said that too, Nintendo told them to simply not go online for as long as the game is running (that includes playing single player but with wifi on). If you play offline, then close the game and go on a different game and play online there, Nintendo will almost certainly not consider you a pirate (although there have been VERY rare occasions). So there you have it, play offline and you will be fine! However, there's also another flag, save files that started before release date are relatively often flagged on the first 3 days of a release, so either start a new game the moment the games are officially released or don't play online during the 3 days after release. The 3 days have been set by Nintendo for a couple games now and are a way to tell who started the game earlier through a possible leak, but after 3 days they stop the flagging since there have been unjust bans in the past just because some people had wrong date on their systems (time zone mix-ups, etc.).

To sum up, don't have the game running, either with you playing or suspended in the background while having the wifi on prior to official release and if you started playing with a leaked copy, either start a new game on release date or wait 3 more days before playing online and you can avoid the bans (NOT 100% certain method though as there can be other unknown factors).

Finally, if the leak comes from a review copy, for the love of god, redownload the game from an actual dump or FreeShop since review copies have different IDs and could very possibly trigger a ban! Review copies are always shipped back to Nintendo, so if they see you playing on one, things can get bad.
Actually people who were online on the 3DS but not in game didn't get banned. I believe all the Pokemon games disconnect you from wifi while you're in game until you go online in game anyway.
Yes, but then again, if you disable the sending of information, they shouldn't be able to know your play time in games and stuff like that to begin with!:P

Just don't worry about bans, don't do something stubbornly stupid like what people did in the past banwaves and everything should be all good! Hell, I literally have my EU NNID linked to niconico, which is a japanese region eshop exclusive app that uses purchases too for bonuses, and MHXX as my favorite game (I own the cartridge but dumped it to use CIA one instead to keep game slot free) and I haven't even gotten a temporary ban in all the years I've had my 2DS!:rofl2:
Not true, none of the settings change how play history is logged. Nintendo logs everything you run while online regardless of your settings, and logs nothing you run while offline regardless of your settings. The data sending settings are for something else. This has been verified by logging the data sent to the servers.

Reactions: GilgameshArcher

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
The header is sent to Nintendo, in the case of eShop games and CIAs that header is console unique, for cartridges it's cart unique. It's very possible that Nintendo can tell the two apart by their header.

Actually people who were online on the 3DS but not in game didn't get banned. I believe all the Pokemon games disconnect you from wifi while you're in game until you go online in game anyway.

Not true, none of the settings change how play history is logged. Nintendo logs everything you run while online regardless of your settings, and logs nothing you run while offline regardless of your settings. The data sending settings are for something else. This has been verified by logging the data sent to the servers.
First of all, I've compared the headers between dumps of digital versions of the games I own and the cartridge versions and they happened to be the same, so perhaps it's not the same for all games. Second, that's not actually true. People got banned just for going online with suspended games (leaked ones though), but much more scarcely than actually going online IN-game, plus what I said in that post is what Nintendo themselves told to anyone who got review copies to do! As for the disconnecting, it depends on settings for gen 6 (PSS off allows online during solo play) and for gen 7 you are online if playing in overworld solo, but going to Battle Tree, PokePelago, QR scanner, etc. or going on the Plaza disconnects you until you are back in the overworld or connect online manually in the Plaza. Finally, I never said that there's a setting that changes how play history is logged, but that option that disables sending of system information also disables the sending of activity logs, but the games themselves DO get recorded on there.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
First of all, I've compared the headers between dumps of digital versions of the games I own and the cartridge versions and they happened to be the same, so perhaps it's not the same for all games. Second, that's not actually true. People got banned just for going online with suspended games (leaked ones though), but much more scarcely than actually going online IN-game, plus what I said in that post is what Nintendo themselves told to anyone who got review copies to do! As for the disconnecting, it depends on settings for gen 6 (PSS off allows online during solo play) and for gen 7 you are online if playing in overworld solo, but going to Battle Tree, PokePelago, QR scanner, etc. or going on the Plaza disconnects you until you are back in the overworld or connect online manually in the Plaza. Finally, I never said that there's a setting that changes how play history is logged, but that option that disables sending of system information also disables the sending of activity logs, but the games themselves DO get recorded on there.
You're thinking of a different header. Online headers are only contained in .3DS ROM dumps that include them (made with the Gateway ROM dumper, not sure if GodMode9 includes that info) and CIA dumps don't have their own, as they use the console header.

I'm not going to say for certain whether people have been banned just for having their 3DS connected to wifi when playing leaked games early, but I've certainly never seen any reports or it and I have seen a lot of reports of people getting banned who did go online in game before release.

Your local activity log is never sent to Nintendo anyway. People have logged the traffic and confirmed this.

Reactions: ThoD

KunoichiZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not going to say for certain whether people have been banned just for having their 3DS connected to wifi when playing leaked games early, but I've certainly never seen any reports or it and I have seen a lot of reports of people getting banned who did go online in game before release.
I had my Wi-Fi on while playing Moon when it leaked, I connected to the Festival Plaza (because you can do that without connecting to the servers), but I never connected to anything that needed online features until the game was officially released and I never got banned.

8BitWonder

Small Homebrew Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had my Wi-Fi on while playing Moon when it leaked, I connected to the Festival Plaza (because you can do that without connecting to the servers), but I never connected to anything that needed online features until the game was officially released and I never got banned.
Same here. Never got beaned.

Reactions: KunoichiZ

Asia81

Yuri Lover ~
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I have a friend working in a game shop, so I may manage to grab and dump a copy earlier, but not like 2 weeks as sumo did :rofl2:
I reserved the collector of Ultra Moon, will surely grab an earlier copy.
1509659793-20171102-225057.jpg

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Same. I also never really cared about what Nintendo logged about my played games and such, I figure I would already be screwed anyways because I was running homebrew in .CIA and .3DS format long before Nintendo started banning people. It seems a bit random who gets banned nowadays, but I'm probably already flagged, if that even is a thing.

Reactions: ThoD and KunoichiZ
D

Deleted User

Then they are probably lying!:P Review copies are always shipped back to Nintendo
I had a suspicion you were talking out your ass..but this was the final nail in the coffin. What is your source on this? Some random on Reddit/4chan?

I sponsor multiple youtubers for my actual job, whom work with Nintendo ambassadors and get games early for review. Such as Mario Odyssey Pikman etc, and not once did they have to send the game back....

Now if for whatever reason they got a Panda unit or something similar. Than yes that isn't able to be kept for obvious reasons...

Review copies are not always sent to Nintendo period. If you're going to try and spread fake information as fact at least try a little bit harder or on something that isn't as well known or can be learned about fairly quickly.

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I had a suspicion you were talking out your ass..but this was the final nail in the coffin. What is your source on this? Some random on Reddit/4chan?

I sponsor multiple youtubers for my actual job, whom work with Nintendo ambassadors and get games early for review. Such as Mario Odyssey Pikman etc, and not once did they have to send the game back....

Now if for whatever reason they got a Panda unit or something similar. Than yes that isn't able to be kept for obvious reasons...

Review copies are not always sent to Nintendo period. If you're going to try and spread fake information as fact at least try a little bit harder or on something that isn't as well known or can be learned about fairly quickly.
I've helped people on Japanese reviewing sites for years and some magazines too and that's what they said, plus two IGN employees said that long ago (about different games though). Famitsu magazine for example does return theirs. Perhaps it's just different in the US, but at least in Japan, as far as I know, the copies are returned. I never said anything about console units, but yes, those can't be kept.

Reaga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guaranteed. Especially since they're region-free, any leak in one region is a leak in all. So if someone in Japan or Europe gets an early copy and dumps the .cia, it's there.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: Green name speaks true :P