Question Do you think the upcoming switch hack will be hardmod or flashcard?

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by naddel81, Jan 2, 2018.

1. naddel81
    OP

naddel81 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 14, 2009
    United States
    ...someday as the wii, wii U and (N)3DS have. How come the DS (lite) still requires a flash card?

And do you think the team Xecutor solution will be a glitch chip or a flash card?

Best wishes!

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

2. subcon959
    This message by subcon959 has been removed from public view by porkiewpyne, Jan 3, 2018.
    Jan 2, 2018
  3. DarkFlare69

DarkFlare69 GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 8, 2014
    United States
    Ohio
    because there's really nothing on the original DS. even if there was a way to run code, there's no way to store homebrew or ROMs, as it doesnt have an SD card or other storage method. game cartridges are the only way.

as for the switch, i think this is a modchip. no reasoning though besides that team xecuter is known for hardware

Last edited by DarkFlare69, Jan 2, 2018
    naddel81 likes this.
  4. cholaloula

cholaloula Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 15, 2017
    France
    Where would you store the DS (lite) games?

Anyway, could the Xecuter chip be an eMMC replacement patched to their own custom flavor?

5. VinsCool

VinsCool Neges Singula

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    The Nintendo DS doesn't have any internal memory, only a BIOS with some hard coded programs. Games run on bare metal from cartridges, so a flashcard is required for everything.
    The closest we could have is FLASHME which is no longer required since any modern flashcards can bypass security checks.

6. tech3475

tech3475 GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 12, 2009
    How do you propose running games without one?

I'd still recommend it though as it offers brick protection.

naddel81 likes this.
  7. TheCyberQuake

TheCyberQuake Certified Geek

Dec 2, 2014
    United States
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    If it was an eMMC module or an addon module between the eMMC and the socket, it would be extremely easy to install

weatMod likes this.
  8. gamingdudester
    This message by gamingdudester has been removed from public view by porkiewpyne, Jan 3, 2018.
    Jan 2, 2018
  9. kitzuki
    This message by kitzuki has been removed from public view by porkiewpyne, Jan 3, 2018.
    Jan 2, 2018
  10. Xandrid
    This message by Xandrid has been removed from public view by porkiewpyne, Jan 3, 2018.
    Jan 2, 2018
  11. smileyhead
    This message by smileyhead has been removed from public view by porkiewpyne, Jan 3, 2018.
    Jan 2, 2018
  12. weatMod

weatMod GBAtemp Addict

Aug 24, 2013
    United States
    yeah i have a feeling this is what it is , but that it might also require 1 to 3 more wires to be soldered to the main MB along with the passthrough
    and that they will probably offer 2 solutions
    one for people who DGAF about on online and another that has a dual boot for online like they did with the RGH on the 360
    no basis for this just pure speculation though

they always start out a bit sloppy then get more refined , they could come out with a future version that is 100% passthrough no extra wires

13. gamingdudester

gamingdudester Member

Newcomer
    Jun 1, 2017
    United States
    My message was removed from public view. I don't remember posting anything here, though. Anybody know what I said?

14. TheCyberQuake

TheCyberQuake Certified Geek

Dec 2, 2014
    United States
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    If it isn't too many wires I'll buy it. I do have some experience soldering (even installed leds in my translucent green n64). I'm hoping it installs in a way where I can show it off a bit in my transparent green shell I installed on my switch.

15. Furoryan

Furoryan Member

Newcomer
    Feb 23, 2017
    France
    We know that the the recovery mode starts if you remove the eMMC. We also know that they have some of the cryptographics keys. So, I think they have found a way to use the recovery mode to run a custom kernel... Maybe they have bypassed another security check with a modchip, but I think they use a custom "gamecard".

16. Wurztha

Wurztha Adm├Čn MoFo :P

Jul 7, 2015
    Behind you!
    What I took from their wording is that it could be software based up to 2.3.0 and will be hardware for 3.0.0 or later. This wouldn't hurt there sales if they gave us a softmod for 1.0.0 - 2.3.0 as most units will be above this. In fact it may well help their sales by showcasing what is possible with the chip for people not able to use the softmod, which will be a growing number of people each day as newer consoles hit the shelves!

peteruk likes this.
  17. weatMod

weatMod GBAtemp Addict

Aug 24, 2013
    United States
    i did too but team X is not going to give us any free software solutions on any FW
    at least i doubt they will but they just gave everyone a heads up that the real golden FW is 2.3.0 or below and not 3.0.0