• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Do you think the internet ruined or improved socialization between people who play video games?

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Back in the early days of playing games, people did stuff together in the same room, played video games, talked to each other, share information about games they learned, read magazines about tips and tricks and even helped each other out. Fast forward to present times where the internet is super huge to almost prominent in everyday life (not to everyone) where instead of going to some friend of yours to get some help on a video game you get stuck at, you go to youtube and watch a video of some person who looks like they been playing the video game even before is released and showing off so much is like they worked on the game, and the game has just been recently released.

Instead of asking your friend "hey, come over, I wanna show you what I found out in the new final fantasy game" You instead can simply turn on twitch to show a live broadcast of a game, record all evidence, make some silly compilation video that gets attention and upload to youtube and other sites. Instead of inviting your friend over to play video games with them, you instead send them a invitation through the game network and play without leaving your house, making such things like social interaction a new dynamic.

So some good things, you can play games with other people from around the world, think everyone in america isn't good enough for your Street fighter skills, well play against someone from Japan, or England, or Italy, or wherever. Meet new people, make new friends across the globe. Wanna watch some people who play games you never heard of cause of failure to localize them like Puyo Puyo or tetris? Go find someone on twitch or Youtube who plays them, cause they have it there. Yes, admitting that the internet evolved allowing lots of nice things made easy.

But what about the bad? People don't bother inviting people over to your house cause you can just "Meet them online" or something, no need to spectate when you can just literally watch them live broadcast. Remember when you was 5 years old, and your older sibling was playing a game, telling you how to play cause you wasn't as good as they was? Welcome to live broadcasting where I like to call it the "Older sibling simulator" :P

So I got two questions for you, do you feel the internet ruined or improved social interaction? Second is what is your opinion in modern 2017, you maybe want it to be more like it used to with the way people handled playing games or are you fine with the way it has become? Honestly is not my best written topic since I am struggling to find proper words for better clarity as well there being people who optionally do both what was described above and find none of this a problem, or just don't care at all.

Reactions: Touko White
D

Deleted User

Fast forward to present times where the internet is super huge to almost prominent in everyday life (not to everyone) where instead of going to some friend of yours to get some help on a video game you get stuck at, you go to youtube and watch a video of some person who looks like they been playing the video game even before is released and showing off so much is like they worked on the game, and the game has just been recently released.
Uh, no? If i get stuck at a game, I just try to find another way or i'll come to it back tomorrow.
Even if I'm playing with my friends, we don't go to that cancerous youtube where dude screams "HEY WHAT'S UP MY SEXY BOKOBLINS" at 100% olume, massively raping my ears and destroying my headphones.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: RIP Akira Toriyama
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
One of the biggest reasons why I tend to lean towards Nintendo is because they still keep focus on offline multiplayer. I can still throw parties and everyone can still enjoy Smash or Mario kart without lugging along another system to play them (expect a 3DS for Smash, but I even supply those.) Where as with my PS4, I have no offline multiplayer games for the system and thus it ends up getting left out of the party, which kind of sucks. Which makes me feel like too many games nowadays focus too hard on online gaming and that kind of ruined them for me. I enjoy playing online with my friends, but if they don't lug their system to my place or they don't have the game/system, then we can't enjoy that together. That's something I find that online gaming has really ruined for me.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
My favourite childhood memories are of playing Super Mario on the NES and then the SNES cooperatively with my sisters. When someone died it was the next person's turn and we would give advice to the person playing and generally have a wonderful time. Then later playing Mario Kart 64 against each other and cooperatively playing Zelda 64. Then later, watching my best friend play Final Fantasy at her house and get watching me play Zelda at mine, and having big arguments / play fights about which was better, Playstation or Nintendo :-) The best part about video games was talking about them with other people. And the secrets were precious - discovering a secret area in a Mario Bros level or a shortcut on Mario Kart just felt absolutely amazing. Nowadays the secrets are cheap - you can look up any guide and have them all spelled out for you. Even if you choose not to look them up it still cheapens them when you do discover them. The internet may have given us some things but I think it has taken away from a lot of parts.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The internet did exist during the N64 era. I remember following a guide to get some bomberman 64 costumes. Or was the Australian internet even worse then than it is now?

One of the biggest reasons why I tend to lean towards Nintendo is because they still keep focus on offline multiplayer.
Trouble is I don't like their games that much (Mario and Smash could be good but need an awful lot more polish, and far fewer gimmicks or at least the option to select them better, mores the pity that everybody trying to make similar games seems to want to clone them rather than work from the ground up). Equally their options for streets of rage type games, dungeon crawlers and such (what I really want) seem a bit thin on the ground, or a bit single player.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: RIP Akira Toriyama
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Trouble is I don't like their games that much (Mario and Smash could be good but need an awful lot more polish, and far fewer gimmicks or at least the option to select them better, mores the pity that everybody trying to make similar games seems to want to clone them rather than work from the ground up). Equally their options for streets of rage type games, dungeon crawlers and such (what I really want) seem a bit thin on the ground, or a bit single player.
That seems like a you thing on this one, although my parties involve a lot of drinking. So really the games are just there for drunken fun and laughs as we watch we each other completely fail at Smash while getting smashed.

Reactions: Deleted User

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
The internet did exist during the N64 era. I remember following a guide to get some bomberman 64 costumes. Or was the Australian internet even worse then than it is now?
I "discovered" the internet at the same time I got up to the Forest Temple. I printed out guides using the school computers and got most of the way through the Fire Temple and some assorted overworld stuff before I realised this was a bad idea, and I was ruining the game for myself. I changed my mind when I got up to the Water Temple (it's a hard slog for a 13 year-old even with the help of her 11 year-old sisters) but after the Water Temple I managed to avoid looking at guides. We had a PC at home, but I wasn't allowed to use it, it was my dad's special toy, and he only begrudgingly occasionally allowed my mum to use it :-p

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Actually it's the mirror opposite for me.
I and me brother are frequently 100%ing games.
We don't play on one console no.

He plays on his own 360 on his own telly and I bring a small telly + me RGH.
Together we're on his couch playing the same game.

nfb6AEf.jpg

It's an oldie pic from ~dec last year?
100%ing RDR together.

We're both no fans of multiplayer.
Co-op we do but we syslink the consoles or we go into private servers.
But that's incredibly rare.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I don't play local-coop, and I don't play internet multi-player either.
To me, the socialization only covered exchanging games and talking about them at school.

Now, Having internet, is helpful because I'm not at school anymore and don't know anybody to talk video games with.
Having this forum is like a breath of air I wouldn't have got offline. internet made me meet (virtually) hundreds of people from around the world, and even once physically (went to Tokyo once, meeting someone I met in an online game, from one of the rare 2 games I played online).

the socialization is limited, as we don't really talk together and become friend, we don't play together, but I know where to go to talk/exchange info about a game.

edit:
Sometime I wish I knew some people in my town which shared the same interest, but more to let them discover what I like than the reverse (sometime, I don't like listening to other people's passion, I like new things but not from people who are 100% in it and nothing else)

Last edited by Cyan,

Touko White

(not)Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I feel like some of the feel of multiplayer is definitely lost when online, however online play is still a good thing because it connects more people and can make you online friends in some cases. Online has made things easier for some people. Plus I've never played a game multiplayer with anyone in real life besides a 5 year old sister who is just picking things up... though Kaillera and Netplay on emulators has made it easier for me :)

Reactions: Sonic Angel Knight
D

Deleted User

It's all just subjective. Like @DinohScene said, some buddys come over (last time it was Friday) and we just try to complete a game. Last time it was DOOM on Xbox. Super fun.

zSyntex

Berserker of myself.
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Here is the same question for ever.
The problem is not the invention, but how it is exploited by humans .. even nuclear could be a positive energy, but the sick mind of man used it for another.
As for the Internet, it is useful to connect thousands of people with common interests and games, unfortunately the generation of today's kids is too used to playing games with a missing plot that sucks money with the DLC and only based on the online. The companies know how to make money with Online and the kids are making use of it.

Of course improved really the communication between every people

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: He's right behind me, isn't he? +1