Do you think the CycloDSi will top over the Acekard 2i?

Discussion in 'CycloDS' started by Link5084, Dec 14, 2008.

1. Link5084
    OP

Member Link5084 Sword & Shield at your service

United States
    I don't think it's gonna be out for a while, but I want to know if Team Cyclops will provide extra features exclusive to the DSi that's not available for the DS Lite.

2. Maikel Steneker

Member Maikel Steneker M3 Fanboy

Netherlands
    I think it will be exactly the same as the normal CycloDS Evolution. In other words: it will probably be slightly better for a much higher price.

I don't think the DSi will be fully hacked to use the other features for quite some time. In the same way, the Wii was "hacked" pretty early with a modchip, but the Twilight Hack was released relatively late.

3. Santee

Member Santee Jalapeño

United States
    It already tops the acekard2 without dsi compatibility and since there working on a new GUI redesign which will probably be done by the time they have dsi comes out in the US and they'll probably come out with with a firmware update instead of a new cart

4. xcalibur

Member xcalibur Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear

United Kingdom
    Fix'D

[​IMG]

I don't find $55 that much higher from say $15 or $30. The potential savings you could have are massive and therefore the difference can be considered neglifgable. Also with the cyclo you're not only paying for a flashcard with many features, you're also paying for an extesive and dedicated support team. The AK2 is basically thrown out to the community and they have to do it all themselves. Nobody doing it for them and no one to turn to when it bricks..

5. Narin

Former Staff Narin The Cheat Master, kupo!

United States
    Currently no flashcard can access the DSi features or run DSi games, access the SD slot, DSiWare, access the cameras, etc. The problem is, the DS is hard coded so that when you place in a normal DS game (Well, non encrypted and digitally signed DSi game) which includes flashcarts, the games run under a DS compatibility mode which will either need a hardware mod or custom firmware to bypass which restricts the DS game to only what is available on a normal DS. This means that normal DS games and flashcarts will not be able to access the new DSi extra features.

Now a custom firmware is currently not possible until some one manages to break the encryption and digital signatures that the Nintendo uses for their firmware, DSiWare and DSi games. The firmware on the Nintendo DS was only protected by hardware which could be easily bypassed by using a paper clip which allows the firmware to be over written. With the DSi, the firmware is updateable via WiFi as well as through DSi games though it is digitally signed and encrypted with a very strong encryption which will not be easy to crack.

6. naveedy

Member naveedy GBAtemp Regular

United States
    really, that confusing technical stuff right there^^^

you just hurt my brain. But anyways, i thought anything was possible when it comes to computers and technology. its possible to hack anything...am i right?

7. dizzyraider

Newcomer dizzyraider Newbie

Since the CycloDS has on board flash memory for the firmware (which makes them different from all others), you think they might be able to get the current models to work with the DSi with some firmware tweaks? I know Acekard released the Acekard 2i, but could that be because the way they load cannot be changed (ie, not CycloDS Evo). Let me know what you guys think about this.

8. Doggy124

Member Doggy124 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Thailand
    I think we have to wait for more DSiwares then hackers can find how they boot.

9. ComplicatioN

Member ComplicatioN Broken Barriers

Australia
    i think it would

10. Twiggy12

Member Twiggy12 GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    your way too smart for your own good narin....(potential world overlord?) i must contact the fbi!!!

and they wont be able to make a firmware update cos the code needs to be modded which could do damage to ur ds (made that all up

11. bach3609

Member bach3609 GBAtemp Fan

Vietnam
    probably will, great features and it'll work on the dsi =D

12. wolfmanz51

Member wolfmanz51 MrNintendosense

United States
    unfortunatly the boot strap is hardcoded

13. wolfmanz51

Member wolfmanz51 MrNintendosense

United States
    @Twiggy12 perhaps instead of criticizing narin for his intellect perhaps you could just look up the words and information you dont know use google it works great for learning this stuff.

@Narin but luckily home brew is possible without cracking the encryption (using a backdoor) and theoretically a cart could be made that runs DSi homebrew

14. leiger

Member leiger GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    As mentioned, there will be a new cartridge. This is confirmed from Team Cyclops themselves.

15. Pliskron

Banned Pliskron Banned

United States
    The AK2i is already outdated and obsolete with the release of the new DSI firware. The only cards that will still work with a future update are supercard and M3 zero. The TTDS, Acekard , R4 and others that can't be re-flashed will leave you suck with old versions of the dsi firmware.

16. Hardkaare

Member Hardkaare GBAtemp Fan

Vietnam
    This thread was made long time before the update even got released.

17. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    Yep, and the CycloDSi still does not exist. [​IMG]

18. Canonbeat234

Member Canonbeat234 Redeemed Temper

Japan
    I for one seriously doubt that. Even though CycloDS does have more features and a better GUI. That doesn't mean its DSi brand will be better than Acekard2i.

Who knows maybe CycloDSi will have a flaw that Acekard2i fixed a long time ago. Plus, this topic is a bit vague; what do you mean 'top over' from??

Sales? Performance? Over-all DS-rom compatibility? Homebrewing?

19. Hardkaare

Member Hardkaare GBAtemp Fan

Vietnam
    Could be Team Cyclops is waiting for dsimode to be unlocked,
    if that happend they could combine it with their new firmware somehow.

20. Memoir

Member Memoir Undeserved

United States
    Threads like this are a disappointment at times. They tend to lead to flame wars. O.O wait, this is GBATemp not Maxconsole. [​IMG]

I like the AK2i and if that means that I can't update to 1.4+ whatever not like I care much for the DSi Extras right now anwyay.