Gaming Do you think piracy will stop companies from making good games?

Do you think piracy will stop companies from making good games?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Tozarian

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Honestly, No.

Nintendo has just been rolling out the crappy games lately without putting much effort in. I wish the gamecube days were back.

Jp393

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Depends. For the ds, i would think so just because so many people now own flashcards and would rather just download it.
Ofcourse there's still people who purchase it, but i would guess many more people would rather not.

For console or pc games, their sales are fine, just because you can't play games online if you download them instead of buying them, and for most games for me anyways, i think online is the main reason i'd get it. For example, i have almost 30 hours of Killzone 2 online and 30min. into the story mode.. I don't play on beating the story for a while either.

Mr. Awesome/Wack

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dono maybe most it realy depends on which company making them cuz some companys don't realy try hard so I'm cinda in between.
ph34r.gif

Miles

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nope.
And they are wasting their money trying to stop it as well.
The industry should learn that piracy is a problem that won't go away.
All they need to do is scare people into buying the things and leave pirates to themselves.
Right now their DRM is only hurting the consumer and not the pirate.
It's really ironic that they are punishing their customers.

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well lets see, if I want to copy a PS3 game good luck, blueray discs are still so expensive you might as well just buy the game.

X-Box 360 or Wii it's going to cost you a disc for the most part.

Nintendo DS, it's just space of a reusable medium though. There's no cost at all.

And people have gotten used to DS games being a largely 'it sucks' category for nearly anything made for it.

Maybe some day Nintendo will actually give a fuck if the phrase 'licensed by Nintendo' means something. Until then, well they might as well get used to anything made for it, is not usually a need to buy it problem.

And even the most internet starved dial up connection can manage a DS game file size.

misanthrope

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
First the argument for piracy to exp lain poor GTA chinatown wars sales is a ridiculous and stupid cop-out: the game did sold well, it was just not a super sales explosion like GTA IV and Rockstar doesn't seems to understand that it wouldn't be: its a 2d game without an actual soundtrack, most people who made GTA III and forth a success didn't care about GTA 1 and 2 and wouldn't care about chinatown wars.

Second, this is similar to the entire dilema with the record industry and is about the extreme avarice from gaming companies. Do not let em fool you, even with piracy game sales have been INCREASING and by a lot. In fact the game industry is growing quite a bit. The entire war on piracy thing is just propaganda by a very tiny group of people saying "hmmm I only have 3 pools on my house, if we stopped pirate I could have 4 pools!"

regnad

Button Masher
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Nintendo has placed a lot of stock in expanding their system ownership into non-typical gaming demographic groups, which include a lot of people without the desire, knowledge, or patience to pirate. People like my wife's mother, who adores her DS. This may help Nintendo in the end, but we'll have to see. And whereas I tend to download ROMs for myself, I've paid full price for games that I've given as a gift to her.

That said, my mother-in-law isn't likely to pick up a copy of GTA.

There's a decent analogy: the music and movie industry. Illegitimate CD and DVD copying and distribution has saturated the market to a degree it will never achieve in gaming. How has it effected music production and the movie industry? What can we learn?

MasterGamer

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Try as they might, they will find it extremely hard to stop piracy.
even if piracy stops companies making good games I highly doubt that will stop people.

It is a real shame that the DS is such a kid aimed console.
When looking at ROM lists it is a real shame that most of the cover art is obviously aimed at younger audiences...

Llamawish

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
No there probably just going to make tougher antipiracy on the best games. They already tried it with Spirit tracks and Warioware DIY.

Escape

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Llamawish said:
No there probably just going to make tougher antipiracy on the best games. They already tried it with Spirit tracks and Warioware DIY.

Was there any need to bump this year-old topic? >.>

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Escape said:
Llamawish said:

Was there any need to bump this year-old topic? >.>
He joined today, and most of his posts have bumped old topics.

Still, if the bump isn't purely trolling then it's not a big problem.

alphanemisis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
elixirdream Posted Today, 11:54 AM
Yes...in a sense that they will focus less on a console and move to another

the fact that nintendo made the dsi (thus making nds flashing devices useless to this console) supports this theory, however they have failed to introduce dsi only games... its like selling a playstation when there are no playstation games.

unfortunately ps3 does not play ps2 but will play ps1 games??? but they can be purchased and downloaded to play from the harddrive... When you already own the ps2 disc.... it isnt piracy if you own the original ( you have the legal right to have backups for personal use only)

im sure someone will crack this issue too, and crack the antipiracy fail safe for the next newest console as they are introduced or before! such as the dsi carts.

conclusion:
as good as they are at hacking, the better they get at controlling it.
they will not stop making games or consoles... just get better at anti piracy... in the end it is the consumer/user that will suffer... so we must pray our precious expensive game/dvd/cd doesnt get scratched because we wont be able to make backups anymore!

Duero

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
Im not sure what to say cuz im not it to who good games sells or not but what I do know is that I wish they maid more Demos of games cuz I don´t wanna pay 599-699 Swedish Kroner (in dollar that is around 79-92US dollar) for a freaking Ps3 game and it ends up sucking as hell same with all games I wanna try the game before I buy it sure we get demos but. In Sweden there are like 2-3 demos coming out on psn store for us to try and not a singel wii or psp demo comes out at all. Sure I don´t say it will lower the piracy if they make more demos but I think lower the price and make more demo and it will lower it for sure. cuz I don´t wanna pay for a game just based on others opinion from like game magazines. Several times a i heard ppls say the game sucks as but when I tried it my self I loved it. thats why I say more demos I don´t trust game magazine cuz they are always never right cuz every one has there taste.

And no one will get a shit what im saying
laugh.gif
cuz im sure i did not make a sense at all.

Priss

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
alphanemisis said:
unfortunately ps3 does not play ps2 but will play ps1 games???
Are you high?
PS3 generation console that came out with Metal Gear combo is the last generation that has both ps1 and ps2 reading capability.
Just because you have a newer PS3 does not mean that ALL PS3 can't... and honestly, I feel sorry for you...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: damn wifi