Do you think Orbis/Xbox 720 will be able to handle Unreal Engine 4?

Link5084

Sword & Shield at your service
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
http://kotaku.com/5911115/unreal-engine-4-will-make-the-next-generation-of-games-look-utterly-mind+blowing/gallery/1

New Unreal Engine 4 screenshots were released, and they just show how much more power we need in the next gen consoles. Epic mastermind Tim Sweeney has said this:

"As early as last March, Epic was making the case for more power with a demo screened at the 2011 GDC. Called Samaritan and built in Unreal Engine 3 with a new set of specialized plug-ins, the video showcased the rendering power of current high-end hardware, displaying an impressive array of effects, like realistic clothing, lifelike lighting, and highly detailed facial expressions. It took three high-end graphics cards to handle the demand, but it grabbed people's attention. "We used it as an opportunity to make a point to the developers," Sweeney says. "‘We want 10 times more power; here's what we can do with it.

And that was merely for a souped-up version of Unreal 3. For Unreal 4, yet another quantum leap in hardware has to happen. Creating a game that operates on a level of fidelity comparable to human vision, Sweeney says, will require hardware at least 2,000 times as powerful as today's highest-end graphics processors. That kind of super-hi-def experience may be only two or three console generations away, but it hinges on manufacturers moving toward the power levels Sweeney is looking for today. He needs the next generation of consoles to be good."

What are your thoughts? Will Microsoft and Sony be able to handle Unreal Engine 4?

Reactions: 1 person
D

Deleted_171835

Yes. Even if the consoles aren't powerful enough, Epic will scale it down. They need that money.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes. Even if the consoles aren't powerful enough, Epic will scale it down. They need that money.
Epic isn't in financial problems, if you mean it that way. Their engine makes them a lot of money.
They may not be in financial trouble, but they love money, and they'll do what they have to to get it.

D

Deleted_171835

Epic isn't in financial problems, if you mean it that way. Their engine makes them a lot of money.
No, I mean that they're not going to miss out on an entire generation of consoles (so much potential revenue) just because the PS4/720 didn't support the UE4 feature-set.

iggloovortex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
EVERYTHING WILL HANDLE UNREAL ENGINE 4

the real question you should be asking my dear sir is whether they'll even bother to use it to its full potential. its not so much Epic scaling it down, as some people have said, as it is the game making companies not using it to that level so that their home console can play it.
which is why there is even a PC master race. They will get games that look like that. Not immediately of course, but they will, and when that time comes prepare for the rage

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
An engine doesn't dictate the level of resources used in it. Look at the concept of Oldblivion for an example. By scaling down the game resources (generalyl in the form of texture resolution reduction), the same game and engine can run well on lesser specs than originally intended.

EDIT: In fact, I did just such a thing for Mabinogi when a certain update made the resource usage skyrocket.
http://mabimods.net/index.php?topic=12876.0

iggloovortex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
EVERYTHING WILL HANDLE UNREAL ENGINE 4
No.
yes, refer to Rydian's post below yours which claims what i said

Man i love Rydian, he always has my back and doesn't afraid of anything.
also glad to have you back :3

EDIT: he didnt FULLY claim what i said, but he did say that by scaling down the GAME, not the engine then you can make it work

D

Deleted_171835

yes, refer to Rydian's post below yours which claims what i said

Man i love Rydian, he always has my back and doesn't afraid of anything.
also glad to have you back :3
He never said that. If a device doesn't support the UE4 feature-set (fully real-time lighting, particles particles particles, etc.) such as the iPhone, Vita and PS3/360, it can't support it. Epic already said that UE4 is not scalable and is 'purely only for next-gen games'. UE3 is for scalable development.

iggloovortex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He never said that. If a device doesn't support the UE4 feature-set (fully real-time lighting, particles particles particles, etc.) such as the iPhone, Vita and PS3/360, it can't support it. Epic already said that UE4 is not scalable and is 'purely only for next-gen games'. UE3 is for scalable development.
well i didnt LITERALLY mean everything. this topic is asking about the next gen consoles/the new xbox. i personally dont give a shit about portable devices. and even then Infinity Blade already showed how great things can look using UE3 on portables so im pretty sure getting UE4 would be overkill. Also, utilizing UE to the extent that Infinity Blade did just requires developers to not be lazy and really push the limits of the console/device. So in terms of UE4, and games looking like the Tech Demo screens, what it really boils down to is figuring out how much of UE4's feature set CAN be used on a console without lag, and whether the developers are actually un-lazy enough to go to the trouble of even making it look that way. I mean the number of games that were made using UE3, and the majority of them look the same, with big burly main characters and enemies, while there are few that i couldnt even tell had used the engine because the developers took the time and effort to really make it their own way such as Tron Evolution, Rainbow Six 1 and 2, and even the new Devil May Cry reboot is using it. I'll keep my argument standing, that its less about UE4 having to be scaled down, than it is consoles and developers not having to use all of what is available. Most games dont even get close to using all of what they have available now. I think the first game that was closest at the time and caused a lot of uproar was Crysis 1. Benchmark tests push the limit of the Machine, often wayyy more than any game released years after the test will

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I think Epic should better try and attract some anime studios. "hardware at least 2,000 times as powerful as today's highest-end graphics processors"...wow...gg. What to day to that? It's like building a car that can go 1'000 miles an hour and plain out explain that the roads just need to be adapted before this car can become mainstream.

Yes, I'm aware of Moore's law. But I doubt technology will continue to grow as it has done thus far. Console makers are already spreading their interests (look! We've got fancy controllers!) because they start to realize better graphics don't make a better game.
In fact...am I the only one not overwhelmingly enthusiastic about the pictures? It doesn't look better than an average cutscene from diablo 3, and I find myself skipping through those just to get to the gaming part. I can't imagine being able to run around in said cutscenes would be that much more awesome.

iggloovortex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think Epic should better try and attract some anime studios. "hardware at least 2,000 times as powerful as today's highest-end graphics processors"...wow...gg. What to day to that? It's like building a car that can go 1'000 miles an hour and plain out explain that the roads just need to be adapted before this car can become mainstream.

Yes, I'm aware of Moore's law. But I doubt technology will continue to grow as it has done thus far. Console makers are already spreading their interests (look! We've got fancy controllers!) because they start to realize better graphics don't make a better game.
In fact...am I the only one not overwhelmingly enthusiastic about the pictures? It doesn't look better than an average cutscene from diablo 3, and I find myself skipping through those just to get to the gaming part. I can't imagine being able to run around in said cutscenes would be that much more awesome.
japan likes to make their own engines, most of the reason why a game takes 10 years to come from there rather than the every year like EU and USA

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Also nice. Never really watched Fallout on Prime, but sounds like a good show. +1