Do you think nintendo will do somethin about flashcarts on their dsi?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by MarioBrotha, Oct 17, 2008.

1. MarioBrotha
    OP

Member MarioBrotha GBAtemp Regular

United States
    well?

Im guessing that they will TRY, but as usual some awesome coder will fix it and make a patch or something

2. Ferrariman

Member Ferrariman Hip-Flop and cRap

Canada
    They will defiantly try, but I give it one month to be haxxor'd.

3. cepheus

Member cepheus GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    I doubt anything will happen for the dsi since they have to keep compatibility with previous versions ds lite and phat. If they do, the price on ds lites/phats will skyrocket =D (assuming no coder works their magic).

This is also why I don't think nintendo will release dsi exclusive games.

4. bambam95

Newcomer bambam95 Advanced Member

Canada
    bet ya they already have.........For now

5. MarioBrotha
    OP

Member MarioBrotha GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Yea....

I also just realized thers no more GHoT then [​IMG] since no gba slot

6. ricera10

Newcomer ricera10 Member

United States
    I'm baselessly speculating they'll probably not work at first, probably due to a change in how the cartridges are accessed or something.

But then again, if regular DS games could work, wouldn't regular DS flashcarts work, too?

Flashcarts may have to change how they go around the DS security checks and stuff.

7. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    Seems I remember reading something about how newer DS games will have some kind of "digital signature" that the DSi must see before running them, while older DS games will be "whitelisted" and marked as OK to run in the DSi's firmware, thereby rendering most flashcarts inoperable on the system since they won't have the digital signature or exist on the "whitelist".

Older DS's (phats and lites) won't be looking for the digital signature, so the newer games will still work. And of course the DSi's special download content will only work on the DSi.

I don't know if that was fact or just someone's speculation though.

Still, all that "digital Signature" and "whitelist" stuff (if true) will probably only work for just so long before a hacker cracks it and the piracy party continues.

8. OSW

Former Staff OSW Wii King

Australia
    i think they could just read the header before launching the cards, and if it matches the header of known flashcards, block them.

maybe?

9. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    That would be incredibly short-sighted, as newer devices will come out that won't have a blocked header.

10. Sir-Fritz

Member Sir-Fritz GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    Flashcard teams cant update the firmware to change such headers can they?

11. tbgtbg

Member tbgtbg Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky

United States
    It's not unheard of for a newer system revision to break older unauthorized stuff, yet not break most older authorized games. Not every PS2 version could use older SwapMagic discs, for instance. Yeah, they came out with newer ones that would work, but obviously there's also a likely chance that even if old flashcards are completely unusable forever on DSi, that newer compatible cards would come out.

All speculation, mind you. For all I know Nintendo will do nothing and not really care that much beyond raiding a company or two a year for appearances sake, because it's not like they're actually hurting for sales.

12. Heeroo

Member Heeroo GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    I think they will make new Flashcards.

13. dmonkey21

Member dmonkey21 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    IMO the worst thing for flashcarts on a DSi would be downloadable firmware updates. I doubt that they will go this route, since it needs to be backwards compatible with the Phat and Lite. If they did implement this then that would suck, we'd need to spend all of our time trying to bypass game updates just like with a Wii, instead of being uber-lazy and just downloading and dragging over like we do now lol.

Also, I don't really see the point of trying to use flashcarts on the DSi, because w/o the GBA slot you can't use a 3-in-1 or other expansion pack to play GBA games, which is half the fun for me.

Ya, doing anything major like this would just make more problems for Nintendo. The more you change things the harder it is to ensure backwards compatibility, I meant the DS already has hundreds of games! And we all know how much crap people would give Nintendo if there were problems running old games on a DSi.

14. Chaaru

Newcomer Chaaru Advanced Member

United States
    I think Nintendo is ready this time for the next "wave" of flashcarts/piracy.

I wouldn't even try to put in my DS flashcart into it, cause Nintendo is gonna have those "Nintendo DSi" station thingys (I forget what they're called) and I'd bet when you connect to it, it'll tell'em what you've been up to.

But then again... with that SD card slot it's like they're asking you to do something "illegal" with it...

15. Kusan

Newcomer Kusan Advanced Member

Mexico
    Hmm...I'd say..

SD slot= piracy
    Just look at the Wii..

16. playallday

Member playallday Group: GBAtemp Ghost

Canada
    No one seems to get is that if what you are saying it right all it takes is to name the flashcart "New Super Mario Bros" and your done!

17. agentgamma

Member agentgamma I dont know what to put here

Antarctica
    There probably WILL be a workaround.
    Most likely involving downloading a free piece of DSiware and putting rom loader in place of free DSiware

lol

18. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    I hope that all the flash cards that claim to be "future-proof" actually turn out to be.

19. .TakaM

Member .TakaM .II

New Zealand
    I expect absolutely no current flash carts will work with the DSi, some may work eventually after things have been figured out.

But you can bet your ass Nintendo has done their best to stop them on the DSi

20. Diablo1123

Member Diablo1123 Newcomer

United States
    Well we won't know till 2 days