Do you think Nintendo NX will require paid subscription for online play?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by Sonic Angel Knight, Aug 27, 2016.

1. Sonic Angel Knight
    OP

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Xbox does it with Xbox live, playstation does it on PS4 with playstation plus, but nintendo has yet to do it. But will they? Since Nintendo wifi launch in 2006, until it was renamed Nintendo network in 2012, It has always been free if you wanna play online, but considering current conditions, it may or may not happen.

If it does happen, many Nintendo buyers may be skeptical about it depending how is being presented to us. It may discourage buying the system, with the current reputation of what is going on that is bad. But if they did have it, would you pay anyway? It would mean extra money for them to do who knows what, but if so i hope they put it to good use. :glare:

To be honest, xbox live gold and playstation plus would be better of if online multiplayer wasn't part of the deal. If it was just for free game trials, discounts and online cloud storage for save and exclusive premium whatever, it probably would be okay by me, one huge reason why i didn't think of buying a xbox was cause of that reason, there is more but is off topic. While PS + started before PS4 was released, i didn't understand why specificly that was tied to requirement for online play.

One thing i do hope is this doesn't happen to nintendo, but if it does, i hope their deal or offerings are reasonable.

2. DKB

DKB FUCK OFF

GBAtemp Patron
    DKB is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    May 29, 2015
    United States
    New York City, Manhattan
    It'd be great if it gave games like PSN does or something. Like, VC games, a bunch of them every month. Then I'd consider it.

PF2M likes this.
  3. TheVinAnator

TheVinAnator GBATemp's Greatest Vin

Jan 10, 2016
    Canada
    NO COFFEI!
    -As something separate! I wouldn't pay just to play online come on!

4. Viri

Viri GBAtemp Maniac

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    If people are willing to pay for PS+ and Xbox Live, what do you think?

5. Logan Pockrus

Logan Pockrus Knawledge is key.

Jan 1, 2016
    United States
    I highly doubt it. If they do decide to go ahead and do it, I guess I won't be playing any games online.

Xandrid likes this.
  6. cvskid

cvskid GBAtemp Addict

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    If it is xbox live quality as far as online play is concerned then i don't mind paying. That and hopefully nintendo puts an ethernet port on it's console this time around and hopefully people use it instead of a wireless internet connection.

7. NANASHI89

NANASHI89 GBAtemp Maniac

May 3, 2012
    United States
    For online muliti-player? No.
    For discounts off digital games, cloud storage, etc? You bet!

Subtle Demise likes this.
  8. laudern

laudern GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 14, 2010
    Australia
    Queensland, Australia
    If nintendo give away 2 free games every month for their online service, they'd run out of games to give away within a year!

9. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    so instead paying like 5-10 bucks for a vc title you like (or a small game)
    you would rather subscribe to a lottery system that gives you sometimes stuff you wanted and other times just crap..
    and also: give money for a service so i get a discount on a product they want to sell me...

i like discounts like the next door scalper but i hate discount lotteries

10. DinohScene

DinohScene Capture the Dino

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    I wouldn't be suprised if the NX went completely digital only.
    Constant monitoring of data, required subscriptions for it as well.

11. Vishnoo

Vishnoo Failure is success if we learn from it.

Jun 1, 2016
    India
    This question has a simple answer,"Wait and see."

12. Harsky

Harsky Madmin

Aug 2, 2004
    I'm sure this'll probably not work out well but what about an, "all you can play" monthly subscription for VC games? $9.99 and you can play as many retro VC games as you want each month.

13. Saiyan Lusitano

Saiyan Lusitano GBAtemp Guru

Oct 29, 2015
    Sweden
    Nintendo's still far away from having a solid online service and paid? On PC the online is free, except for games like WoW which you have to pay to play online, I think. If the Wii U had an online paid subscription then I would have packed it away back in 2015, well, it is now but that's irrelevant.

Well, not like PSN. PSN just gives away crap while XBL actually gives their Gold members games worth playing.

14. Logan Pockrus

Jan 1, 2016
    United States
    Honestly, the only (Nintendo) system I recall having issues with online play (disclaimer: I rarely play online) is the 3ds. I think the Wii U's online play is pretty solid. But no matter how solid online play is, I'm still not paying for it (as I said, I rarely play online).

15. azoreseuropa

azoreseuropa GBAtemp Guru

Nov 6, 2002
    Portugal
    Proud to be Portuguese but I am in USA.
    To be honest with you, I do not care about online. I am fine with offline and one player only.

Logan Pockrus likes this.
  16. DiscostewSM

DiscostewSM GBAtemp Guru

Feb 10, 2009
    United States
    Sacramento, California
    I honestly feel Nintendo won't throw online play into a paid subscription service, but will probably have some sort of paid subscription service for other aspects.

17. Sonic Angel Knight
    OP

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Are you saying as in maybe a netflix kind of thing where you can play all VC games with the paid subscription?

18. Logan Pockrus

Jan 1, 2016
    United States
    Regardless of whether or not that's what he meant, that is a really good idea. I would actually pay for that.

19. Sonic Angel Knight
    OP

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    So 10$ a month to play All available VC games on let's say NX And possible for 3DS and wii u with save intact, with the option to stream or download game and save to system incase of not having online. :P

Sounds not bad at all. NES, SNES, N64, GBA, TG-16 AND DS :D
    Just hoped maybe neo geo and sega or actual arcade ports were there. There more VC games on Old wii shop than New eshop :P

20. Saiyan Lusitano

Saiyan Lusitano GBAtemp Guru

Oct 29, 2015
    Sweden
    Lack of voice chat support, no party chat support, no private messaging (Miiverse is crap), etc. Nintendo's online service is still very green.